General discussion

Upgrading Win2003 Server to Win2008 Server

By McIntyreM ·
I would like to solicit advice, tips, and council regarding the upgrade of one of our servers from Windows Server 2003 R2 to Windows Server 2008 R2. This particular server is our primary domain controller, primary DNS server, DHCP server, and does some file-sharing. Of course, I have already started my own research at home and on Microsoft TechNet website. But, fellow IT professionals always have a different perspective and usually point out other things that MS doesn?t always mention. Considering that this is our most important server, I want to make sure that I do this right, and don?t ruin anything. I have already installed another Windows 2008 Server, which is acting as a secondary domain controller. But being that I haven?t yet upgraded the primary server, a few errors are occurring, which I believe will be resolved when I have completed the upgrade. The primary objectives for upgrading this main server are to take advantage of the increased security options, improved and expanded group policies, and of course, the upcoming release of Windows 7. It is my wish to upgrade our desktop clients to Windows 7 next summer, but before I do so, the servers need to be upgraded. Then I can move to the next stage of my research and testing. I would greatly appreciate whatever thoughts and expertise that anyone can lend.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

1 total post (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

Upgrade win2003 domain server to win 2008

by loonatic4u In reply to Upgrading Win2003 Server ...

Wel, we recently upgraded a group of win2003 domain servers to win 2008 and were quiet successfull.

There are some prerequisites for upgrading a domain based environment hosting a Domain server, most of all you should be logged in as an administrator account . Second, u have to prepare yourself with ADprep for upgradation of your Domain to 2008.

Remove power shell from win2003 server as it is a hindrance. if u want i can share documents and research for your review. This is just an overview, so u better do some research for proper upgradation on your servers.

Back to Networks Forum
1 total post (Page 1 of 1)  

Hardware Forums