General discussion

Upgrading WinNT to Win2003

By Mongooch ·
My company is currently considering upgrading our NT domain to Win2003. A little background info.: 1-NT PDC, 2-NT BDC's, 1-NT File Server and the usual assortment of Win 3.11, Win95/98, Win2k, WinXP Pro machines. As the only IT guy for my company, I am considering a parallel install to make things as seamless as possible. My main question is, can I plug a Win2003 domain server into the same network as my NT domain thus having an NT domain and Active Directory domain on the same wire? Any suggestions on this or other ways to upgrade are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mongooch

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by Joseph Moore In reply to Upgrading WinNT to Win200 ...

>can I plug a Win2003 domain server into the same network
Yep. Sure. You can set up the Win2K3 server, run DCPROMO on it to make it a domain controller in its own Tree (and Forest), and set it up to be in its own separate Domain. It CANNOT be a Win2K3 Domain Controller of an existing NT4 domain, but it can be a DC of its own domain.
Both this Win2K3 DC and your NT4 domain controllers (PDC and BDCs) can be in the same IP segment (all 192.168.1.0/24 addresses). That works just fine.
You then can set up a Trust between the NT4 flat Domain and the Win2K3 Active Directory Domain.
Next, you can import users and groups from NT4 to AD, and migrate everything over to AD. Then, phase out the NT boxes.
Now, Win3.1 cannot, AFAIK, talk to Active Directory. I might be wrong on this, but I really don't think they will work. The Win95/98 boxes will need the Active Directory client.
Check out this link for details, info, other useful stuff in a NT4 to Win2k3 upgrade:
http://tinyurl.com/i1xb

Collapse -

by Mongooch In reply to

Thanks, this info. helps a lot.

Collapse -

by Mongooch In reply to Upgrading WinNT to Win200 ...

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)