General discussion

Using 3 Cisco 2600 Routers to build.....

By lsmith1989 ·
I'm using 3 Cisco 2600 routers (2 - 2621, 1 - 2611) to build a lab. I plan on maxing out the RAM but have a question on the serial interfaces.

I'm thinking about buying either a 1T DB60 Serial WIC for each router or a 2T Smart Serial WIC.

My question is, on the 2T SMart Serial WIC module, is each serial connection a totally seperate serial interface?

If I have 2 routers and buy 2 - 2T Smart Serial WIC's, all I would need to do is hook up a single smart serial crossover cable connected to only 1 of the smart serial interface on each router correct?

Any input welcome.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by CG IT In reply to Using 3 Cisco 2600 Router ...

humm, I wouldn't go with the smart serial for a Lab environment unless your going to rent out the lab for use. The idea about a lab is learning how to do configuration, mucking up the configuration and learning how to fix it. The serial interface is just to simulate the WAN and working with frame relay on a regional environment or campus level environment [assuming you want the CCIE practical and written]. Here's a like of equipment for a CCIE lab taken from 6colabs.com rack info. Really slick setup over there [mega bucks]

CCIE lab environment from 6colabs.com

2 ea 2610 2 Serial 1 ethernet. 2 ea 3620 with 2 serial 2 ethernet,2 ea 3620 with 2 serial 3 ethernet 1 BRI, 1 ea 2610 10 serial 1 ethernet, 1 3620 with 2 serial 4 ethernet. 2 2610 with 1 ethernet 2 fast ethernet, 1 ea 3640 2 serial 2 ethernet, 1 ATM, 2 FXs voice,1 ea 3640 2 serial 2 ethernet, 1 fast ethernet, 1 BRI, 1 ATM, 2 FXS voice, 2 3550s with 24 fast ethernet, 1 ea PIX 515 3 ethernet, 1 ea PIX 501 1 ethernet and 1 fast ethernet.

Collapse -

by dplewis In reply to Using 3 Cisco 2600 Router ...

Simple answer to your questions:

Yes, on a WIC-2T, each of the two ports is a separate interface.

Yes, to link two routers you could use one of the Smart Serial interfaces on a WIC-2T in each of them.

You'll need to think carefully about setting up DTE / DCE and clocking.

Also think about Flash memory - the latest versions of IOS require more (of course).

Also think about the IOS features you want to use. Which Feature Set(s) will you need (e.g. IP Base, IP Plus, Enterprise etc.). Again, the more complex the features, the more memory you'll need.

Back to Networks Forum
2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)