Question

Using DI-524UP with win 98

By ec ·
Can anyone crack this one?

I have two computers sharing an internet connection through a DI-524UP router. One is running Win 98 and the other one XP. It works fine on both of them.

However, I would also like to share a printer connected to the print server on the DI-524UP. It works on the machine that runs XP, but I cannot set up the printer on the one with Win 98.

According to the manual, the printer should be acessed throug a TCP/IP port, which is an option when setting up a printer in XP. But you cannot chose a TCP/IP port when setting up a printer in Win 98. I have tried to find out if I can create a TCP/IP port for printing, but could not work it out.

Does anyone know how to do this or have a suggestion for a workaround? Any help would be greatly appriciated.

The D-link support service turned out useless: "We do not know (sic!) how to set up the DI-524UP in Win 98, but here is how to do it in Vista... We hope this helped you solving your problem" Eeeemm.... no!

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

help

by hetaali In reply to Using DI-524UP with win ...

Google is your friend.
This is acctually a Microsoft problem, because you need a 3:rd party driver to ba able to set up a tcp/ip printer port in win98 to be able to print to a print server such as the D-Link DI-524UP.

Here you'll find a guide:
http://www-jerry.oit.duke.edu/community/howto/pc/add_tcpip_printer.html

And here a link to another guide and a link to the 3rd party driver:
http://help.lockergnome.com/windows2/win98-adding-tcp-ip-printer-port-ftopict452972.html

Regards,

Martin

Collapse -

Thx

by ec In reply to help

Hey, I had almost given up on that one! Thanks for for your reply.

I've found the advice on lockergnome myself, but it didn't work out.

The other one, however, looks promising. I can't seem to find the ACITS LPR utility, though. It seems like the Univ. of Texas web server will not let me download it?

Back to Networks Forum
3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  

Hardware Forums