General discussion

Using Ethernet Hubs >100 meter distance

By trinianouk ·
Hi,

I currently have an ethernet network which uses CAT5 UTP cable connected to a 100Mbps Full duplex hub.

I want to connect a computer thats approx. 800Ft away from my network.The cable has to be run underground thru electrical conduit.

I'm thinking of running CAT5 STP...one end will be connected to my existing hub, the other will be connect to another 100Mbps hub which will the be connected to the P.C.

Should this configuration work???Is there anything I'm leaving out???

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Jason.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

8 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by TheChas In reply to Using Ethernet Hubs >100 ...

Your distance is nearly 3 times the recommended maximum cable length for CAT5.

IF it even works at all, you will be VERY fortunate to get a 10Mbps data rate.

For reliability, I recommend that you set up a short haul modem between the 2 end points.

If speed is critical, you might be able to do it with fiber. But, if memory serves me well, fiber may have too much lose over that distance.

Your only other option would be to install 2 hubs at equal points along the cable run.
The big problem here is access and maintenance of the hubs.

Chas

Collapse -

by sgt_shultz In reply to Using Ethernet Hubs >100 ...

what about wireless? i have gotten it 800 feet with cheap linksys stuff. in bridge mode... u have line of sight? you don't want to run ethernet cable in with power cable if you can help it...

Collapse -

by rawright In reply to Using Ethernet Hubs >100 ...

"Should this configuration work???Is there anything I'm leaving out???"

You're leaving out everything - and, no, this configuration should not work. If it does, it only means that the networking gods are smiling upon you. Today. Just remember, they're a fickle lot. They're likely to turn nasty on you just when you really need the network.

If possible, install a spare hub along the 800 meter path about halfway; a hub will reconstruct the degraded signal if it can. The previous suggestion of using a short-haul modem is a good one. They usually work at lower data rates than 100BaseT, but they're rather handy for making links of up to 1000'. It's an extra hardware cost, I know, but it will be worth the effort and expense to do it right. Even if all you can find is a 56 - 64 kbps modem, it's still going to be better than stretching the Ethernet standard so far beyond its intended application. And no one I know can type fast enough to stall a 56 kbps line...

Collapse -

by jireland607 In reply to Using Ethernet Hubs >100 ...

Hi,

As a method of extending the distance of cat5, you can install a hub. This boosts the signal for the next stretch of cable. But will still not reach the lengths you require.

Have a look at the following website,

http://www.blackbox.com/tech_docs/tech_overviews/ethernet.html

It shows the possible lengths of different media.

Optic cable is really what you need for that kind of distance. If it is too expensive then how about using the thick coax cable and have a repeater inbetween? You will be restricted to just 10mbps but it will more than handle the distance.

Collapse -

by aamontalto In reply to Using Ethernet Hubs >100 ...

Jason, I'm afraid that what you're proposing won't work. Ethernet networks are governed by the IEEE 802.3 standard and it appears that you are using a 100Base-T flavour 100mbps over Cat 5.0 cables. There's one of two things that you can do to resolve your problem but NONE are inexpensive:

1 the only cable you can install that can support signals over 800feet (that's about 250 metres!) is fiber-optic. Multi-mode fiber supports distances up to 300 metres; single mode fibre distances up to 40 kilometers (that's 25 miles!). You will also probably need to change your existing hub to one that can support a fiber-optic link though (if you're upgrading you might as well opt for a switch). Of course you'll need ANOTHER switch to route the data packets over the link at your remote site. So here's the rub: (a) change your existing hub (unless it already supports a fiber link) (b) buy a switch for your remote site (c) connect them by means of fiber-optic cable. One advantage to this is that you're well on your way to upgrade to Gigabit ethernet - that's 10x your current speed!

2 The Ethernet standard also allows for signals to pass through cable television networks (10Broad-36) and if you have a cable television provider in your area who is also into data network services you COULD pay for a virtual private network service. This would involve paying a monthly fee, and getting a cable modem for either end of your sites (also provided by the cable TV guys). Not cheap either but I'm afraid there's no simple formula that would work in this case.

You might find this site useful for a BRIEF but good description of terms we are talking about:

http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/E/Ethernet.html

You may find out the meaning of other terms using this site.

Collapse -

by Armour In reply to Using Ethernet Hubs >100 ...

For low cost and ease I like using 3M Volition. http://www.3m.com/volition/ they have some very nice products and total cost of owner ship reliability and eave Fibre to the desk top is quite attractive. I have been using this system more often now as 1 the cost has been lower for equipment than traditional fibre and 2. for campus wiring you can do runs up to 1 Km or 1000 m or 3,280 ft. You could also go with a commercial wireless LAN connection either laser based or microwave. But those 2 are much more expensive and are tended to be used if you do not have a means of physical connection between the point or if the cost of right of ways are to costly

Collapse -

by wlbowers In reply to Using Ethernet Hubs >100 ...

If you don't run fiber you will be spending a lot of time and money for a lot of headaches.

Use cicso routers on each end.

Good Luck
Lee

Collapse -

by trinianouk In reply to Using Ethernet Hubs >100 ...

This question was closed by the author

Back to Networks Forum
8 total posts (Page 1 of 1)