General discussion

• Creator
    Topic

VB 6.0

by cvjoy ·

Can u suggest any project or topic to work !
    which is exciting and stands out from the normal e.g. like bank,employee,hostel,hotel,inventory,income tax etc..

something different ?
    Need to do for colege project .
    I am not an expert and
    I also have to link a database to the frontend and be able to edit it from the front end. So Any one whoo can help please send me a mail or reply.
    Using VB 6.0 and SQL(suggest a good SQL software) only

All Comments

• Author
    Replies

You flounder

by santeewelding ·

In reply to VB 6.0

Shakespeare did not flounder.

don’t go by name

by cvjoy ·

In reply to You flounder

don’t judge a person by the email id he/she uses!

by the name i don’t mean to steal any of the credits given to him even i respect him!
        please give advice,suggestions,opinions
        but not criticisms(have heard a lot of that)
        because with that neither you go forward nor the person u critisise

write a game engine that uses a database for instructions

by slayer_ ·

In reply to VB 6.0

A simple side scroller with the images and stats stored in the database. It’s not too hard. You can skip directX if you find it too advanced, just use bitblit and/or transparentblit.

I suggest this cause it’s what I did :).

If you want exciting, why are using VB6?

by tony hopkinson ·

In reply to VB 6.0

It’s what 10 – 15 years out of date, and it was crap when it came out.

At least try VB.net…

Change college, VB6 ….

It’s got one large advantage

by slayer_ ·

In reply to If you want exciting, why are using VB6?

It runs without the need of any extra dependencies and a 400mb .Net install :). Worst Case Scenerio is the workstation needs the VB6Runtimes install, whats that, like 4 mb? So far for every system I’ve tested, Win 98 and up seem to have the Runtimes installed with, I think Internet Explorer 6. (A guess cause my 95 never got them and only difference between my 95 and 98 was 98 was running IE5.5)

VB6 doesn’t seem to run so hot under Windows 7 though 🙁

You are going struggle on the exciting front

by tony hopkinson ·

In reply to It’s got one large advantage

without one or two references. :p

I suppose if he’s on windows 95 or 98, it makes a vague sort of sense.

I still don’t get why anyome would want to learn VB6 now. I never got why anyone learnt with it when it was current.

It’s got more bad habits than a baghead.

It’s a challenge

by slayer_ ·

In reply to You are going struggle on the exciting front

To code with good habits on a language that almost encourages you to use bad habits.

I hear you loud and clear

by tony hopkinson ·

In reply to It’s a challenge

on that front, and therein lies the rub.
          To do that you have to know how to code properly before you go near VB6, yet it was designed for those who couldn’t, and if they didn’t, never will.

PS thanks for the thumb, I was begining to feel 134 had been etched into my display. :p

Plus, Good code isn’t as important as company standards

by slayer_ ·

In reply to I hear you loud and clear

Unless your the only programmer, chances are there is standards.

For example, we do most of our code in VBA, so some standards include, single letter variable annotation, always use Call statements and brackets. All prefix all objects, modules, etc. fully. So me.textbox.text = “blah”, not textbox=”blah”
          You also got to do me.textbox.text = ucase$(“blah”) not me.textbox.text = ucase(“blah”)

Doesn’t really matter what is proper or good coding practices. Its standard in the organization.

And I really hate reading peopls code when they do thing slike multiple lines of code on one line, inline IFs, fail to use call statements and brackets.

I really really hate when a function gets stringed into several other functions and none of them are using brackets.
          How many times I’ve seen this really annouys me

processexit textbox, textboxprocess(textbox)

Actually is
          processexit(sText as string, textboxprocess(oTBox as object) as textbox)

University

by cvjoy ·

In reply to You are going struggle on the exciting front

Mumbai University is Ancient,Primitive,StoneAge,etc….
          What do u want to call ?
          i will go by u!

Me 4 Xp

by cvjoy ·

In reply to It’s got one large advantage

windows 7 is great !
          i have tried it’s beta
          but for me i will go for XP
          since it’s been there for a long time around
          almost all softwares give support for Xp

thanks for suggestions

by cvjoy ·

In reply to If you want exciting, why are using VB6?

I know VB.net a little bit,and have done a course on ASP.net
        cant use it because college demands so.

Can’t change college because it comes under mumbai university very famous for its lackadaisical attitude towards students!
        Can’t change university because i am not that rich to change a home.

i need something good that can be applied through Vb 6.0 and SQl(suggest software if u know anything other than mysql)

VB6 works best with MS stuff

by tony hopkinson ·

In reply to thanks for suggestions

MSDE at a push, SQL Server Express or SQL Server Compact Edition will be your best bets

For examples google VB6 ADO SQL?

Do pass on my lack of regard to your tutors.

I’ve done MySQL and VB6, stay away from MYSql’s enumerated type, and things like TimeSpan if you go down that route, it’s more
          trouble that it’s worth.

As for what to do with, concentrate on techniques. The big thing most VB6ers never learn is Client Server.
          Basically that’s doing as much as you can in SQL as quick as you can.

SQL access in VB6, cheat using ODBC’s

by slayer_ ·

In reply to VB6 works best with MS stuff

I mean if your gonna use VB6, might as well use ODBC’s to handle it. More headaches on the setup, but less on the code.
          With ODBC, you don’t got to worry about drivers and passwords, you just tell it to connect to the ODBC with the specified name, done.

Old Dumb Bleedin’ Crap….

by tony hopkinson ·

In reply to SQL access in VB6, cheat using ODBC’s

No more needs to be said. ODBC is for when there’s nothing else.

All you are doing is shifting the problem. Deplying is PIA, th arse, System DSNs which most noddy software that uses ODBC needs, give you a UAC under Vista, requiring even more persing about, and yoyu lose out on a most extras in your chosen tech choice. Might at well use ODBC to text file, at least that makes sense.

turning to access

by cvjoy ·

In reply to VB6 works best with MS stuff

now i have been told to use ms access as the database.
          need help in creation fully developed MDIform.
          accessing Db through Vb
          My topic selected as hostel mgmt.
          any help from anyone would be greatly appreciated.

MDI, not a good choice.

by tony hopkinson ·

In reply to turning to access

MDI is for multiple windows to the same sort of object. So you could do it to say a List of hotels and have a hotel page for each one. But then if you want a search form, reservation, quote etc…

When you learn a littel more you could get an MDI equivalent without using the tech.

Aside from that,m MDI and access (or any other DB, don’t have anything to do with each other.

For how to read and write data to an access database. Google

VB6 ADO Acess mdb

no other choice

by cvjoy ·

In reply to MDI, not a good choice.

Have to use MDI

i fail to understand MDI basics it seems a bit different than other forms with option to add menus but i think we can do that for normal forms too … MDI for us has 2 be the first view the user should get..

by the way thanks in advance as always for whatever u hav contibuted to me and also if you do more..

also can u tell me about using a calender in vb6
          done puttin calender to the form to collect DOB .it should be like posting DOB to a txtbx
          and then saving it in a DB

One more thing i need 2 ask ,can we store images or any such thing in a DB ,are there any datatypes to store such things like imgs,videos,presentation etc especially if we run a website.regarding any DB engine may be SQl server,Access,MySQl…….
          (agan srry in advance in language used isn’t proper or is not legible)

Calender

by tony hopkinson ·

In reply to no other choice

has a date property

getting it in to the DB depends on what you are using.

You can (though don’t do this for text input)
          build a query e.g.

sqlText = “Update People Set DOB = “‘ + Format(calDOB.Date,”YYYYMMDD”) + “‘ Where PeopleID = ” + CStr(PeopleID);
          and then exec it.

Or you can use a parameterised qurey (look that up) You’d put the code may be in an OK button, or in the Onchange event of the Calender component.

Binary stuff, e.g. Images, documents etc can be stored in Image Columns with parameterised queries, that can be google as well.

Personally, I wouldn’t store binary stuff in the DB, I’d store a file name link and then store the image on the drive. Makes backing up/deploying a bit harder, but image columns can be problematic in DB,s particulary Access, which handles them very badly.

As for no choice with MDI, there’s MDI syle and then there’s the technology. Personally I wouldn’t code my worts enemies most critical app with the latter. OK so you get menu merge and a couple of other things, but trying to keep MDI going with radically different views particulary with VB6 which by the way is turd at OO, just isn’t worth the effort of not learning enough to replicate the desired functionality.

I can’t help but feel you are being a bit too ambitious initially given your skill/knowledge. I hope you haven’t made any promises, as I see trouble ahead.

I’d struggle to do something decent with MDI and VB6.

Viewing 2 reply threads