General discussion

VMM32.VXD PROBLEMS on a new intel 433 ma

By ben ·
relates to my Umax astra 610s software ,I`ve tried the umax fixes,installed all the umax software ,formated the drive , looks like the Vmm32.vxd is burned into the harddrive. I can easily live with out the scanner but the machine is unstable

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by wholzem1 In reply to VMM32.VXD PROBLEMS on a n ...

VMM32.VXD is affecionately known as "the gumball." It's created (re-created)each time the hardware tree is changed. Here's my method for dealing with gumball corruption:

1. If running Windows 95 with IE 4 or 5, uninstall IE first. If using Windows 98,or if IE 4 or 5 was never installed on Windows 95, skip to step 2.

2. Reinstall Windows from the DOS prompt. If your CAB files are on a CD-ROM, make sure your real-mode CD-ROM drivers are loaded. Use the command line: <path>\setup.exe -p f .
(Make sure there is a space between the -p and the f.) This switch means setup doesn't just refresh a couple of files; it rebuilds the hardware tree from scratch.

3. Install any driver updates.

4. Re-install ie 4 or 5, if applicable.

If your OEM version of Windows is one of those that doesn't include a setup.exe file, there's going to be more work involved than this.

Collapse -

by ben In reply to VMM32.VXD PROBLEMS on a n ...

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

by jeffreyh In reply to VMM32.VXD PROBLEMS on a n ...

I found that when I have any VXD errors in a Win98 system, that you can go to the run command and type sfc then enter. SFC stands for system file checker. After starting sfc follow the on screen comments and if the program pops a system file that may be corrupt, then follow the directions on replacing the corrupt system file with an original system file from the win98 cd. That normally will take care of the problem on a win98 system.

Collapse -

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

This question was auto closed due to inactivity

Back to Windows Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  

Operating Systems Forums