General discussion

VPN / Server 2003

By MSparky ·
Can someone help me? Having never set one up, I am still unclear on VPN's. I will be running Server 2003 and will have a DSL line with a static IP from my provider. Do I need seperate hardware to do the VPN or is it better to use seperate hardware? As I understand it, Windows will do this without any additional hardwate. I think I am getting lost on which IP to use. Right now I am using just a Linksys 1 port router to share the internet connection. The router is also doing DCHP. If the server has an internal static IP, how do I access it from the outside? Thanks.
Mike

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

VPN

by jbaker In reply to VPN / Server 2003

While it is possible to use Server 2003 to manage a VPN, it is often (from a security standpoint), not the best option. Exposure to security risks and vulnerabilities will be higher than with a device designed to do VPN exclusively.

Most major firewalls will offer VPN functionality, and many are (reasonably) easy to configure.

One of my favorites is the Netopia R series.

Collapse -

VPN

by rvidalc In reply to VPN

Maybe you can try a Linksys RV082.
Is easy to use and I like the 2 wan option to use it as backup.
At the moment I am using it to connect our regional offices to our HQ in Germany and works quite well with DSL connections.

Collapse -

how do I set up a router for a VPN connection

by bologna1 In reply to VPN

I am trying to set up a a VPN using server2003 ent and I am having connection issues. I cannot get the server to accept incoming connections, could this be a router isue?

Collapse -

Yes, it could be a router or firewall issue

by jasonhiner Moderator In reply to how do I set up a router ...

Here's an older artice that might help:
http://techrepublic.com.com/5100-1035-1032495.html

Regards, Jason

Back to IT Employment Forum
4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)