General discussion

VPN to NT Server from NetWare 4.11

By jyimcse ·
I have setup VPN connections to a NT server from stand alone remote clients using Dial-Up and DSL connections. Problem is, I'm having problems connecting from a client on a Novell NetWare 4.11 network. The Windows 95 client has Client32 and Client for Microsoft Networks installed. I can connect and log on to the NT Server, but when I try to connect to a share, a network password prompt comes up asking for the password to the resource. Do I need to install GSNW or FPNW on the NT Server? When I'm logged on, I can't browse the NT network. Because of the VPN, I can't access the Novell resources either. What can I do to set up a remote NetWare client to the connect to the NT network and be able to use both the networks resources?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by AlphaGeek In reply to VPN to NT Server from Net ...

Sounds like the username/password combination is different between the client's Netware Network login and the login it uses to access the NT Server. 95 will pass it's network login username and password to the NT server when attempting to access a share. It completely ignores the username and password you used to connect to the server with the VPN connection.

Simple solution would be to setup a user on the NT server that is the same as the username the 95 client uses when logging onto the Netware network. Also make sure that the passwords are the same.

Optional solution would be create a user with the same name (as the netware username) on the NT box with a different password. When the 95 client accesses a NT share it will prompt fora password. The user would just put the password that was used setting up the NT user.

If it was a NT workstation client it would have prompted for both a username and password making the above two solutions unneeded.

Collapse -

by jyimcse In reply to VPN to NT Server from Net ...

It worked. I thought it was going to be more complicated. I was thinking along the lines of the lmhost file. I should have known that in most cases, even among different NT domains, the same username and password will give you access. I wonder how many administrator usernames with the same passwords are out there....

Collapse -

by jdroland In reply to VPN to NT Server from Net ...

The above answer will probably do the trick, but the core problem is they haven't authenticated themselves to the share. To authenticate, they might just run the Login procedure the Client32 puts in the start menu when it's installed...after they have logged on to the VPN. Also make sure you've got a WINS server and the clientsare using it, plus the domain name is set correctly on your 95/98 clients to get the browsing working.

Collapse -

Collapse -

by SelonBoy In reply to VPN to NT Server from Net ...

Do you connect to the NT using a router or direct connect to the NT (through modem connected to NT)?
If you are using a router, you should setup for IPX Routing.
If you direct connect to the NT, yes, you should install the GSNW. After installing GSNW, in GSNW from Control panel you can add and share connections to NW.

good luck

Collapse -

Back to Windows Forum
6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  

Operating Systems Forums