General discussion

W2000 locks after running a short time

By Casemaker ·
Hi,
I am running a system with W 2000. PIII 700
128MB RAM 20gb HDD 8x4x32 CDRW 3COM NIC Creative Balster Modem ASound sound card Iomega 250 ZIP. Heres the jist of it. The system ran fine for a month after I installed it. The customer loaded Office2000, MSN, and a driver for his smart card reader and MS messenger. After doing these installs and downloads the system locks up after running for a short period of time. I suspected the software that was downloaded and uninstalled it all. Then thenext call came in. It froze again. This time I did a fresh install of W2000 from the cd. Then the next call came in. i have updated all the drivers to W2000 compatible drivers and still the lock. i do not have the erd disk from the setup nor do I have the 4 install disks. I did a reconfigure to a good start and that did not work either. Any Help!!!
Thanks

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by Casemaker In reply to W2000 locks after running ...

I took out the PCI cards and will let it run from this point. If it locks again i will try the RAM. If it does not lock without the PCI cards I will add them one at a time. This is what i know to do, if someone else has run into this or has another ides, that is what I need.
Thanks

Collapse -

by dmiles In reply to W2000 locks after running ...

You are on the right track and I am not sure this will help,yet I think if you look in Device manager and check for any conflicts.
the CDRW nad Zip drive may be causing you the problems check to make sure that they are installed with the updated drivers compatible with WIN2K.
You may also boot into safe mode and check the devices that are loaded on the machine and then eliminate each device that has multiple listings.Hope this helps

Collapse -

Thanks Soulrider

Collapse -

Thanks Soulrider, I had checked device manager previously and found no conflicts. I am trying to reinstall one device at a time and will also update the cdrw and zip drivers.

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author

Back to Desktop Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)