General discussion

W2000 password not working

By swalexan2 ·
I am absolutely positive that I am typing in the correct password (in the right case, etc...) but it is not letting me into my adminsitrator profile. What can I do? Do I need to reinstall the OS (thereby wiping out everything on the drive)?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by grooverr In reply to W2000 password not workin ...

No. What you need to do is, take the cover off(make sure the computer is unplugged)then take out the cmos battery,short the positive to the negative terminals. This is clear the cmos settings and you can enter a new password... Hint Hint Hint-----Beabsolutely positive that you write down all cmos settings before removing battery.......

Collapse -

by swalexan2 In reply to W2000 password not workin ...

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

by Stillatit In reply to W2000 password not workin ...

Before you re-install the OS:

1. Make sure that the name in the top box is the same as the name on your Administrator account. Spelling counts. If you typed "adminsitrator" as you did in this question, it will not find the account, even if the password is correct.

2. If you are part of a domain, expand the login window to show the domain, and make sure you are logging into the account you think you are (domain admin versus local admin).

3. If, somehow, your admin password was changed,you can use your latest Emergency Repair Disk to go back to the state the registry was in when you made the disk.

4. If you have any other accounts with admin privliges, try one of them.

5. If you are part of a domain, have your admin go in using a domain admin account.

Good luck.

Collapse -

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

This question was auto closed due to inactivity

Back to Windows Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)