General discussion

• Creator
    Topic

W2K Srv – CPU Utilization is constantly

by james_simon ·

I have a dual pIII-800 w2k srv box acting as one of my file servers and the cpu utilization is constantly >50%. I have checked to make sure that it sees both cpu’s and it does. I turned off my anti virus and it doesn’t even go down lower then 50%. What other steps might I try to check out, or what other counters might I check in perfmon? I have another single processor file & printer server also acting as a app server and it’s the PDC.. and the cpu rates are normal for it. >10 percent mostof the time with antivirus running.
    Thanks in advance.
    Jim S.

All Comments

• Author
    Replies

by faisalmasood ·

In reply to W2K Srv – CPU Utilization is constantly

Suggestion:

1) Using Task Manager check which running processes are taking much of the processing time.

2)Check Event viewer for any error / notification.

3) Also check that the if anyone is moving large amount of data to/from the file server.

by james_simon ·

My system idle process is 98-99 percent and has been running for about 1500 hours. There is nothing else that is occupying the CPU’s time. but when I go to the performance tab it says about 50% for the CPU usage.

by timthetoolman ·

I’d check the following in perfmon.

Process counter :

Select the actual process that is using the CPU (above answer) from the instance list and compare user-to-system CPU time also look at the memory counters associated with that process page faults/sec is a good one. Then look at the IO counters.

Physical Disk :

You’ll need to enable this counter by doing a Diskperf -y in a DOS window and rebooting.

These counters will tell you if a particular disk is being hammered – ie lots offile accesses.

Network Interface :

These counters will tell you if there is lots of traffic to/from the box (resulting in increased CPU) as a result of mucho file transfers.

Memory :

If your box is short on memory, it will page lots (resulting in increased CPU usage so check these couters too.

Hope this helps,
      Cheers,
      Tim.

by james_simon ·

My system idle process is 98-99 percent and has been running for about 1500 hours. There is nothing else that is occupying the CPU’s time. but when I go to the performance tab it says about 50% for the CPU usage

by jedimaster2003 ·

Easy steps: (I’d go with the Task Manager).
      1. Open task manager>Process(tab) and the 3rd column named “CPU” should be running about 99-89% for SystemIdlePrcess, and if you hit the CPU tab, it should bring up everything that is taxing your server, find the process name that is running 30-60% of your CPU usage, the name would be associated to a program that is the problem. By that you could find out if more resources is needed (Disk space, ram etc…), or if the program is or is not running like it should.

by james_simon ·

My system idle process is 98-99 percent and has been running for about 1500 hours. There is nothing else that is occupying the CPU’s time. but when I go to the performance tab it says about 50% for the CPU usage

by timthetoolman ·

Hi,

Ahh…. I suspect you have one CPU at 100% and the other one idle. Task manager displays a summary (averageing 50%). You can set Task manager up to simultaneously display both CPUs individually, though.

When you’re looking at CPU usage, I suspect you’ve actually selected the single unused CPU.

Check for the options in the task manager…

Are you doing the performance monitoring locally on the machine? Or using terminal services or VNC or some other console program to do the monitoring?

These programs can be surprisingly CPU hungry – although I wouldn’t have thought enought to drive one CPU to 100% !!

If this is the case, then a “local view” of machine resource usage may tell a different story.

Cheers,
      Tim.

Viewing 3 reply threads