General discussion

W95 Printer install locked at Apple380

By Hawker ·
486/DX66 PC W95; attempting to install driver for IBM4019 printer but W95 locked into printer selection option of 'Apple380' printer. System will not allow 'have disk' override always defaulting back to 'insert Disk #15' (for Apple380 printer. There must be a system parameters file somewhere that can be edited to allow the install process to contimue properly (i.e by editing out the Apple380 references). Unfortunately the PC doesn't have a CD drive and the W95 diskettes 'went to god' some time back which prevents a reinstall of W95. What is my solution within W95 ?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by BuffaloDan In reply to W95 Printer install locke ...

After reading your post, I can only make the observation that something within the Windows Kernel, (kernel386) is broken...this file is built upon installation, and modified anytime new hardware or drivers are added. Sometimes Virus can do this, sometimes file system corruption can do this.
Try scandisk first...next have up to date virus definition, and scan this system thouroughly for viruses.

Ultimately, you may in fact need to have the win95 installation files to proceed. If the floppiesare NOT AVAILABLE, the i suggest borrowing a CD Drive and the win95 CD from somewhere, and copy the WIN95 folder from CD to the Hard drive. Also, delete any and all unneded files and software from this drive.
(Make sure the C:\Windows\Temp folder is empty)

Running "WIN95 Upgrade" can often repair a broken Kernel.

If you can get on the internet with this machine, try going to IBM's web site and searching for the latest Installation software for this printer.

Also the install software may include an executable which installs the printer for you, rather than going thru Settings>Printers>Add a printer.

Finally, this printer EMULATES (Behaves as) an HP Laser jet III. at HP's web site, you MIGHT BE ABLE TO DOWNLOAD a Setup routine which includes an executable to install HPLJIII without going thru the windows install.

Irregardles, I would still concentrate on fixing Windows.

Good luck...

P.S. since your tech republic login expired while posting this question, you you will likely not get many responses to your question, as you cannot assign points from a non existant user. but I think that following the suggestions outlined above, you will be able to get this system running properly again.

Good luck again....

Collapse -

by Hawker In reply to W95 Printer install locke ...

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

Thanks for trying Buffalo Dan - I with luck managed to get hold of a set of W95 diskettes. The problem didn't go away as the install process couldn't find the required driver on Disk 15 !
I'm still trying to think through a solution which doesn't require to do a full W95 reinstall.

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)