General discussion

Water on the moon.

By boxfiddler Moderator ·
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33918160/ns/technology_and_science-space

"The presence of significant quantities of ice on the lunar surface catapults the moon from an interesting waypoint to a critical launching pad for humanity's exploration of the cosmos," said Peter Diamandis, CEO and chairman of the X Prize Foundation, which is running a $30 million contest for private moon rovers. "We're entering a new era of lunar exploration ? 'Moon 2.0,' in which an international group of companies and governments will use the ice and other unique resources of the moon to help us expand the sphere of human influence, and to help us monitor and protect the Earth."

My thoughts are all over the place with this one. The most prevalent reeks of incongruity. We don't manage our own planet well.

Corporate interests (business!) exploit well and are probably best capable of getting us 'out there'. Yet those same interests appear blind to the devastating effect of their expertise.

We're known for short-sightedness, we humans. Despite my 'Oh, this is way too cool' initial response, I have misgivings.

What do y'all think about ice on the moon? Will we go there and do that?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

66 total posts (Page 1 of 7)   01 | 02 | 03 | 04 | 05   Next
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

Is this

by santeewelding In reply to Water on the moon.

Where angels fear to tread?

Angel.

Collapse -

"We don't manage our own planet well. "

by seanferd In reply to Water on the moon.

Which is precisely why we need to get resources elsewhere, right? Water on the Moon increases the likelihood of doing this, eventually.

On the other hand, get enough people into space, even as "tourists", and enough of them may have that astronaut's epiphany, recognizing just how small and fragile our world is in some respects, and that the rest is vacuum or otherwise rather more hostile.

I rather think that, as usual, it will go both ways, if at all.

Collapse -

So are you trying to say

by HAL 9000 Moderator In reply to "We don't manage our own ...

They before becoming a Member of a Board of any Company the Applicants must first spend a long time in Space to realize that their have a higher duty than just Profit?

Personally I would think attempting to cure them of their Addiction to Oxygen would have the same effect. So start them off simply with a 2 Hours Without Oxygen and make it longer till they are either dead or can survive in a Perfect Vacuum for 3 years. After all it's cheaper to attempt to create a Perfect Vacuum on Earth than sending them into space even if we get away from our reliance on Rockets and start using Rail Guns to launch stuff into a Low Earth Orbit. :0

After all it is far cheaper to generate Electricity and distribute it to where it is required than to build rockets and then waste most of them on just the single launch.

While I do agree that Private Corporations currently seem to do things better than Government Instrumentalities like the R101 Airship that the UK Government was responsible for building and then crashing. Things have not improved much since them unfortunately but with what has happened recently when Private Business has been allowed to run Rampant unchecked they seem to make an even bigger mess of things in their pursuit of Profit.

Maybe we all need to grow up quite a bit and stop our addiction to Money. Star Fleet sounds so good about now.

Col 0:-)

Collapse -

I don't know if I was trying to say that, but

by seanferd In reply to So are you trying to say

oxygen addiction does seem to be quite a rampant issue with these folks. :^0

Collapse -

I find myself

by Michael Jay In reply to I don't know if I was try ...

mostly hooked on oxygen, having a little right now as a matter of fact, good stuff if you ask me. :)

Collapse -

At the rate that the Corporations Waste Oxygen

by HAL 9000 Moderator In reply to I find myself

That complete Planets Supply will only last 10 years instead of the 1,000 that was forecast.

Now where have I heard that before?

OH I know SpaceBalls. :^0

Col 0:-)

Collapse -

Anybody for a can of

by NickNielsen In reply to At the rate that the Corp ...

Perri-Air?

;\

Collapse -

Thanks for advertising

by HAL 9000 Moderator In reply to Anybody for a can of

My new Product.

:^0 :^0 :^0

And who ever said that Movies didn't have some very good ideas.

Col

Collapse -

hahaha

by RookieTech In reply to Anybody for a can of

alrite Mel Brooks

Collapse -

Why not...

by rm.squires In reply to Anybody for a can of

Pass a can over

Back to Peripheral Forum
66 total posts (Page 1 of 7)   01 | 02 | 03 | 04 | 05   Next

Hardware Forums