General discussion

• Creator
    Topic

WD My Net N900 router what is FasTrack Plus?

by aubreedonatelly ·

I am thinking of getting this 11n router

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833146005

I spent an hour looking at 802.11n routers and I think the WD My Net N900 HD Dual-Band Router might be the best bet, since it was designed specifically to accelerate movies, video and gaming. I found this pr from them

http://wdc.com/en/company/pressroom/releases/?release=6baee492-de33-45ba-985e-81097f2b8d3f

They mention ???The exclusive FasTrack Plus technology provides intelligent, real-time traffic prioritization for simultaneous HD and 3D media streaming and online gaming.???

So what is this FasTrack Plus really doing?

If this something that other routers do?

All Comments

• Author
    Replies

RE:- [i]So what is this FasTrack Plus really doing?[/i]

by oh smeg ·

In reply to WD My Net N900 router what is FasTrack Plus?

Well put simply FasT Track Plus is giving Priority to Video Streams on the available Bandwidth of the Internal Network.

[i]If this something that other routers do?[/i]

Currently No it’s not and it’s only WD who thinks that the Home Network is overloaded with the use of Mobile Devices connecting Wirelessly though they may very well be right.

However what you need to remember is that Wireless Communication is much slower than a Wired Connection and that most likely your Internet Connection is no where near the stated Gigabit Speed so you will still have a lag from On-line Video which gets to your Home Slower than the Wired Connection could transfer it but at least it’s likely to arrive around the same speed that a WiFi Connection could stream it though other users may experience Lags and if there is more than 1 Video Stream arriving the Data Transfer is going to be slow. This is of course assuming that you have something at least a ADSL Internet Connection or Faster. If you are working on Dial Up or a service transferring Data around Dial Up Speeds the Router could dispatch all incoming Data faster than it arrives.

Col

Viewing 0 reply threads