General discussion

• Creator
    Topic

What is a PBX used for?

by ericlamda12 ·

My organization used to have an audio system and a conferencing bridge, with analog telephone service, to allow anyone to dial into a public conferencing system, to listen to the audio inside the organization, from a phone at home. Now, to save costs, they decided to eliminate the use of a public conferencing system, and decided to just have a private conferencing system, inside the organization. To do this, they decided to get a VoIP phone system. Now, they have a cable modem for VoIP phone service, a Linksys wireless router, and a PBX. Before they got VoIP, they had 2 phone numbers, but I am not sure if they still have the same phone numbers. In this case, what is the PBX used for? Does it act as a bridge for the conferencing system, to allow people to dial in, to listen to the audio coming from the organization? Is there anything else that the PBX could be doing in this organization? Also, why is a PBX necessary?

small business phone
    business phone system

All Comments

• Author
    Replies

You sell phone services but don’t know what a PBX is for?

by charliespencer ·

In reply to What is a PBX used for?

Being a spammer is bad enough. Being an ignorant one is worse. Pretending we don’t know what you are is the biggest mistake.

Good grief, indeed.

by seanferd ·

In reply to You sell phone services but don’t know what a PBX is for?

PBX must be one of those brand-new, hot technologies that no one has heard of yet.

Doesn’t PBX

by oh smeg ·

In reply to Good grief, indeed.

Stand for [b]Poor Bloody Xeon[/b] Processors?

Maybe I’ve been mistaken all of this time.

Col

Heh.

by seanferd ·

In reply to Doesn’t PBX

Blood on the Processors and Opened Airlocks: The HAL 9000 Story

What can I say I now believe that the HAL 9000

by oh smeg ·

In reply to Heh.

Is following Mr Flibber’s directions and attempting to cure the Carbon Based Life Forms addiction to Oxygen. Starting off with a short period of time depriving Oxygen from the Humans and slowly building this time up.

[b]2 Hours Without Oxygen[/b] is always the starting point though. :^0

Col 0:-)

Well, it’s a new stretch,

by seanferd ·

In reply to What can I say I now believe that the HAL 9000

but a little hard work, and with HAL’s assistance, we may be able to cure ourselves of this damaging dependence on O2

Give him a break

by saurondor ·

In reply to You sell phone services but don’t know what a PBX is for?

He’s only trying to make $5000 a month by filling simple forms

Private Branch eXchange

by oldbaritone ·

In reply to What is a PBX used for?

It connects all of the desk instruments (telephones) together and gives them access to the outside lines, extension numbers, provides intercom features, paging, music-on-hold, toll restriction, access control and many other features that businesses expect from their phone system.

Viewing 1 reply thread