General discussion

what is the advantage fiber vs 1000 Mbps

By tim.tbrennan ·
What is the advantage or what would be the advantage between fiber optic and 1000 mbps Ethernet cards. we are attempting to setup new blade servers for a non-profit agency and needed to know if the cost between the two would be an advantage to us or not. we are looking at hp blade server encloseure with f-gbe2 and bl2op blade bundle. any suggestions.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by zaferus In reply to what is the advantage fib ...

Fibre is typically much faster and is often used to connect a server session (virtual or otherwise) to a LUN. This could be a database or some other heavily I/O intensive data storage.

If you used a giga connection you could look at iSCSI or NAS. Whether you use a "back end" network to connect to it or put it on your main network would depend upon a lot of things as this goes to design logic.

Speed is lower with giga, but so is the cost. In the end I would recommend you look at backup considerations and I/O transfer requirements to the server to drive - and what requirements you find for now and a 3-5 year growth factor (dependign on the expected life cycle of this technology) should point the way to which decision you make!

Zaf

Collapse -

by jmgarvin In reply to what is the advantage fib ...

Fiber is going to cost you an arm and a leg, but it might pay for itself if you are going to use it.

1gb Ethernet is cheaper and somewhat easier to deal with. However, you will get more bandwidth with fiber.

You have to decide what is going to work for you. Are you going to do a ton of data transfer or do you need something that is somewhat cheaper but might not be useful to you in 5 years?

Collapse -

by dplewis In reply to what is the advantage fib ...

Fibre will cost you more but will go further, is the obvious first response.
1000BaseT copper = max. 100M over Cat5 with all pairs in use.
1000BaseSX (cheapest optics) goes up to 220M on 62.5/125 Multi-Mode Fibre, 550M on 50/125.
1000BaseLX (more expensive optics) will work on MMF up to 550M (could need mode-conditioning patch leads). LX will go miles on SMF (check manufacturer. Even longer range (and more expensive) optics (eg ZX are available for SMF, if needed.
Furthermore, it's also less easy to "tap into" fibre; so is more secure. It's also much less prone to errors.
Finally, I've found network "tinkerers" reluctant to play with fibre connections - they look more important!!!

Back to Networks Forum
3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)