General discussion

• Creator
    Topic

What IS the Appropriate Attire for an Interview?

by captbilly1eye ·

In the old days of “Dress For Success,” the three piece suit for men and the dress suit for women were the recommended uniforms for attending that all-important first interview. Times have surely changed and company dress codes have been loosened for so long that there doesn’t appear to be as much focus on dress as there once was. What’s your opinion?

When dressing for your first interview, what would you wear? As an interviewer, what would you like to see an interviewee wear? Does it make a large difference based on the job you/they are applying for (i.e. IT Manager, Graphics Designer, Web Developer, Technical Support Analyst, Help Desk)? Does it still matter?

All Comments

• Author
    Replies

Coat and Tie for Men, Business Suit for Women

by wayne m. ·

In reply to What IS the Appropriate Attire for an Interview?

I expect to see the more formal end of common business attire in an interview. This gives the impression that the interviewee went out of his way to prepare for the interview. To show up in business casual or less formal makes me feel that the interviewee was just squeezing the interview into his day and was not treating it as anything special.

To overcome this bad first impression, a candidate would have to show that he is clearly a superior find and he would have to do it quickly. A while back, we had a candidate for a senior programming position show up in a sport coat thrown over jeans and a t-shirt; I’m not even sure his hair was combed. I think we set a new record in walking him though the interview list and out the door.

Scope out the building first

by slappymcnasty ·

In reply to Coat and Tie for Men, Business Suit for Women

If possible I like to visit the building prior to the interview. My rule is to dress slightly better than the average employee you see walking in the door.
        If they are in jeans, khakis and polo shirt, if they are in khakis, dress pants and shirt, if they are in dress pants, go with the suit.

1 Step up from what the interviewer is wearing.

by dr_zinj ·

In reply to Scope out the building first

Slappy has it right. Underdressing sends a message that you either don’t care, or are sloppy.

Dressing the same level doesn’t make you stand out, so if you’re no different, then why should we hire you.

Way overdressing means you either are stupid, a snob, or just think you’re better than everyone else, so why are you looking for a job here?

1 step up indicates that you took the time to do a little research, that you respect the interviewer(s), and that you stand out a bit from the playing field. i.e. you’re good, but not threatening.

Very good advise!

by palkerekfy ·

In reply to Scope out the building first

I like it!

Agreed…

by jamesrl ·

You should dress like you made an effort.

It doesn’t have to be the most formal suit(unless applying for sales job or management position), it can be a sports jacket (Blue blazer, grey pants always works).

I had one candidate show up in running shoes. Tatty old running shoes. Those do not meet our business casual requirements even….

James

DOH…you mean I can’t wear my bathrobe and fuzzy slippers to an interview?

by why me worry?? ·

No wonder they were looking at me funny and the ladies were gazing at my boxer shorts when I entered the receptionist area.

I’ve interviewed in my underwear several times ..

by sobaldrick ·

In reply to DOH…you mean I can’t wear my bathrobe and fuzzy slippers to an interview?

.. and got the job. 4 of my last 5 contract jobs I took the job without a face-to-face interview. The idea of contract-to-hire is so much easier than interviewing for a full-time position. And neither party has to go out of their way to be perfect at the interview. Get you foot in the door. If you’re good they’ll hire you, if not they won’t. Similarly, if the company is successful and intersting, I’ll stay. If not, I’ll go find another contract when this one is up. No messing about with suits and ties required – I interview so much better in my underwear.

Les.

Ties are Evil

by jolevine ·

In reply to I’ve interviewed in my underwear several times ..

No offense meant but a woman had to have invented the Tie which to me is a symbol of a leash/control?

Sounds good to me

by nickwarhead ·

In reply to I’ve interviewed in my underwear several times ..

Sounds good to me. They are not hiring your suit to do the job, their hiring a person by what’s in their minds and in their hearts. These fake ass business people need to learn that.

Sign of respect

by blackdogphoto ·

The debate of “Do I have to wear a tie”, “This is only a part-time job”, should never have been started. The whole reason of dressing nicely for a job interview shows not only respect you have for the person that is interviewing you, also it shows that you have respect for yourself. If someone dosen’t have a business suit, don’t run out and buy one, see if someone you know could let you borrow it or a Sport Coat even a pairof nice pants a nice shirt and tie is better than showing up in no tie.I know that in 95% of the job market you do get a higher mark if you dress appropriately. Good luck, show them you have respect for yourself.

Yes, but

by crdanford ·

In reply to Sign of respect

You need to dress for the job in question. If you don’t know, ask when you schedule the interview what the dress code is, and what the common dress is for the position. Then dress a touch better than that.

I interview for break/fix hardware technicians that start out at $10-15/hr. When candidates come in in a suit, I assume they are not looking for such a low level position. Our technicians wear polo shirts and jeans or khakis. I would prefer to see interview candidates in nice pants and a button up shirt, a tie would be fine, but a three peice suit is overboard.

Interview is 2 way street

by alchemist-joat ·

If the company doesn’t like my casual wear in an interview, then I probably don’t want to work for that company.

it depends

by jck ·

on the environment of the workplace.

on the job they are interviewing for.

I would not expect a network tech to come in a suit and tie.

I would not think an IT manager candidate would come in Dockers and a golf knit.

But, I would not discount their ability as a manager. I don’t think dress = success. Success is a direct result of the ability of your team…not their wardrobe budget.

First impressions count

by jdclyde ·

In reply to it depends

neat and well groomed is a must. If you look like you slept in your shirt, it can be assumed you will show as much eye for detail on the job as you did for how you got dressed.

Environment is key though. You walk into a mom n’ pop shop, they don’t want a pretentious stuff shirt. If you walk into IBM wanting a job, better have a sports jacket over that tie.

Having shiny shoes also helps you look up skirts….. ]:)

not all people fit that mold

by jck ·

In reply to First impressions count

I don’t always shave and I sometimes wear a shirt that has a hole in the pocket or a pair of slacks that aren’t pressed. But, I am meticulous in my coding and database design.

Wardrobe is not a definitive indicator of work ethic.

Not everyone is the same. I’d rather have someone who looks a bit disshevelled and can do their job, than someone who comes in snazzy dress thinking that their wardrobe makes their work ethic any better.

I agree with your 2nd paragraph….and 3rd especially ]:)

But the point is…

by jamesrl ·

In reply to not all people fit that mold

For an interview you need to present yourself as well as you can. Show them your best self. And that means making an effort.

Would you fail to shave and wear a shirt with a hole in it on a first date with a hot babe? The situation isn’t that dissimilar.

The guy who showed up to my office all dishevelled and in running shoes for an interview basically told me that he really didn’t care to make an effort. He didn’t dress up, nor did he research the company. He thought charm would get him through. It didn’t.

James

Let me say 2 things

by jck ·

In reply to But the point is…

1) Some people can’t afford even a $299 suit from Men’s Warehouse…I would *NEVER* judge someone’s ability based on their level of clothing.

2) Dressing for an interview vs. Dressing for a hot babe: Very dissimilar – I’m not looking to get hot and heavy with my employer…

Maybe the guy who showed up in running shoes and jeans just flew in to interview and the airline lost his bag?

Trust me…almost happened to me. Almost went in jeans and a casual shirt because of the airline they booked me through.

Don’t always think because they show up in street clothes that they had a choice.

I don’t own a suit at all

by jdclyde ·

In reply to Let me say 2 things

but I do have a few nice dress shirts and a few ties. [i](no, I don’t think wearing the one with the cat holding the computer mouse in it’s mouth by the “tail” would get me the job, nor the one that looks like circuit board.)[/i]

There are other things, is their hair neat (provided they have hair)?

Are they clean shaven, or a few daze growth?

Do they look like someone your customers would be comfortable with, if they deal with customers?

In case of the airline, if it were a chance of a lifetime interview, you can bet my interview clothes would be carry on.

What do you have to go on, jck?

by jdclyde ·

When I walk in that door for in interview, you have no way of REALLY knowing what kind of employee I would turn out to be.

Until you can PROVE yourself, show them what they want to see.

The first year or so, I wore a tie. Now it is izod all the way.

I am about 9 days out from last shave.

And again, as James pointed out, there is a difference between daily wear and interview wear. Pretty yourself up.

Pressed pants? That is what you have a dryer for! (hey, what do you expect? The ex got the iron in the divorce….. ;\ )

Pressed pants

by jamesrl ·

In reply to What do you have to go on, jck?

Isn’t that what drycleaners are for. $2.99…

One of my interviewing rituals was to always have a suit/jacket ready to go on a moments notice. You just have to hit the drycleaner after an interview…

I still keep a shaving kit ready to go for last minute travel. I can and have packed for a 3/4 day business trip in under 5 minutes.

James

Both times though

by jdclyde ·

In reply to Pressed pants

I was not even LOOKING for a different job…

The first time I was still a student, but working a lot in the CAD labs. Who would have ever thought someone would pay you to use a computer to draw pretty pictures? B-)

I hate this mentality

by nickwarhead ·

Just what we need is more suit and tie dorks for this stuffy business culture. It doesn’t matter what you wear its what’s in your head. It seems the freaks seem to be the ones that are the geniuses compared to the ass kissing suit and tie set who have their noses too far up their bosses ass to really care about technology.

What the hell happened to the “bearded sandal” mentality that my instructor in college told me about????

Disconnected academia

by bmagurn ·

In reply to I hate this mentality

a) college professors generally know very little about the real world, unless someone did a research study on some aspect of it.

b) In an interview, much more than dress is and should be considered.

However, if a candidate can’t find the time to prepare for their interview with a decent set of dress clothes (pressed shirt, and a tie, minimum), that is one indicator of their true behavior.

Hiring managers are always looking for indicators of a person’s true behavior, as opposed to the “what you want to hear” answers to the questions.

c) Why put yourself at a disadvantage, by dressing down as a statement! We’re talking about how to prepare for the interview. Use your dress to get a headstart.

d) If you have such a moral objection to a business casual dress code, go to the interview in ratty shorts and a t-shirt. If you ever find someone to hire you, it may be a match made in heaven.

And when you get a job nickwarhead

by jdclyde ·

you can dress any way they will ALLOW you to.

Take a good look at your college instructor. Was he wearing sandals? Bet he wasn’t.

[b]Then go again and ask him why HE doesn’t have one of these near mythical jobs of the “bearded sandal” techs.[/b] Are there some out there? Sure, but they have been in the trade for a few decades and have distinguished themselves far apart from everyone else in their fields and can get away with it. You have neither distinguished yourself, nor can you get away with it.

Don’t worry, when you get a job, you will see what it is like out here. Just look for a place that has a very casual dress code.

Better yet, be your own boss, and you can dress any way you wish without your boss judging you based upon what you look like.

I have a job, bitch

by nickwarhead ·

In reply to And when you get a job nickwarhead

Well, I have a job, and my abilty to do it does not depend on what I wear. I’m going to be telecommuting in the next couple of months, so I can sit in my underwear and work all day if I want.

I think of being a tech as more like being an auto mechanic or something like that, rather then being a suit wearing fat ass office worker. It should be kept in that realm. We’re not business men.

Telecommute!

by jc2it ·

In reply to I have a job, bitch

Gee, with that attitude of yours I can see why they want you to telecommute. It makes it that much easier to justify downsizing you.

Your problem is that you do not realize that the IT department holds the keys to the business. We have access to all of the accounting information, because we manage the data. This requires someone of greater than average intelligence. Not only do you need to understand the hardware, but you also need to understand the value of the data.

Go back to the school of hard knocks and get a real degree. A working man’s PhD.

Nice attitude

by jmgarvin ·

In reply to I have a job, bitch

If IT is being an auto mechanic, you are doing something wrong…

You need to work on that.

by tony hopkinson ·

They will have as little time for you as you seem to for them. Unfortunately they are the ones who come up with the work, and there are a shed load of people out there with your skillset who will at least show some respect for that.

Not a dig, business types want and to be quite honest need tech’s who meet them at least half way.

You’d have to be extremely high value for them to accept anything less and I can assure you their next meeting will be on how to not have to need to be dependant on you again.

You amuse me nickwarhead

by jdclyde ·

Clearly you don’t know many mechanics, first of all. They do care about their appearance because no one will want a grubby slob working on anything other than a beater car. The higher end shops even sweep up between cars and have a spotless floor.

And the same “suit wearing fat ass office workers” are the only reason you temporarily have a job. These people are your customers, and loathing your customers is a real dumb way to go through your day.

Enjoy your miserable existence, hating everyone that is making a decent living, and blame them for you being left behind. Hope you like mac n’ cheese. I see a lot of it in your help desk future.

jc called it right on the spot. You will not be giving the keys to the most valuable asset the company has (it’s data) if you look like a low life slob.

And studies have shown that people that telecommute that do not dress professionally, do not act or perform professionally, and are not long for their position.

From the flawed mentality you have shown here, I doubt if you have the self control needed to work without someone watching over you. This may not be the best move for you, unless your working for your mom or something?

I agree

by jck ·

I guess Steve Wozniak is a real lazy, unknowledgable kind…and he didn’t even wear a formal suit to present at things like international electronics conferences.

Of course…Gates doesn’t either. Oh jesus…I just argued for Gates…I need medication. 😀

Knowing what kind of employee vs being able to do the job

by jck ·

Trust me…if I interviewed you, I could tell if you were going to be able to know how to program, attach and detach a SQL Server database through both Enterprise Manager and the command line, and if you can program a logic ladder for a PLC.

If you can tell me how to do things with those and that is part of the job, I can be assured you’re going to know how to do the work.

As to whether or not you’re a good worker…that’s a different story. That’s what the 6 month probationary period is for…and the clause that if you are unable to perform the duties of your position that it is grounds for termination.

I figure anyone who wants to work, is amiable, and has the knowledge and know-how to do the work…I’m not going to make the assumption their coming to an interview in less than business wear means they are lazy or don’t care.

Think outside the box…it works

It depends on whos game it is

by jdclyde ·

In reply to Knowing what kind of employee vs being able to do the job

on what the rules are.

If you are doing the interviewing, your free to set whatever standards you like, just make sure you keep some standards to yourself, like trying to fill the office with eye-candy. ]:)

Someone should look NEAT, agreed?

looking neat

by jck ·

In reply to It depends on whos game it is

I think some artwork looks neat. 😀

If by neat you mean showered and maintaining proper hygiene…sure.

Some people don’t consider a beard to be “neat”.

I think they should be clean…hair styled in some way (at least combed).

I mean, I know there was a girl at my place of employment who was pushed-off to the side because she had a tongue piercing. I told the guys that was kind of absurd, because they probably have children or young relatives who have them and they wouldn’t put them off because of it.

Plus, this girl had a Bachelors and Masters…and she wanted a job as a tech…and she had all the experience. I don’t know why we hired the guy we have, but we did. She was obviously more qualified (she had more tech experience…the job that she was applying for) than he did (he had been a network admin and hardware consultant).

Anyways…people should be clean…and presentable. But, wearing jeans shouldn’t discount you from a job if you don’t have a suit.

There are some people in this world who are qualified and looking to improve their position in life…and can barely afford the jeans they have.

P.S.- If a really hot looking girl is just as qualified as all the others…hell yeah I’d hire her (if she’s single :D) ]:)

Don’t think we are ever going to agree…

by jamesrl ·

In reply to Knowing what kind of employee vs being able to do the job

You don’t only interview to confirm technical skills. You interview to get an idea of the person. As I mentioned in another post” Can they do it, Will they do it, will they fit in?”. If I assume the resume is somewhat accurate, I know whether they can do the job before they interview.

I cannot afford to wait six months to see if they “will” do the job. I need to get an idea before I offer them a job.

If the job of your dreams came up, would you not care enough to dress your best?

For this job, I had been out of work for 18 months. I was running on empty money wise. But I knew I had an interview coming and I knew there would be more, and that my old suits didn’t fit. So I spent a grand total of $199 on a suit.

I don’t hire easily or terminate easily.

A job is a big thing, why wouldn’t you want to look the best you can.

James

I guess you don’t get it, JamesRL

by jck ·

In reply to Don’t think we are ever going to agree…

You’re 22.

Just out of college.

From an working-class family.

You have a 4.0 from school.

You’re sharp and good at what you do.

You had to go to school on loans.

How the hell do you afford a suit?

Should you be discounted from the job because you can’t afford one?

BTW…I *never* said that attitude and demeanor and amiability are not important…especially in a team environment. I said that the ability to do the job is most important.

Looking clean and decent is different than wearing a suit.

Some people don’t have $199, man. Feel lucky you did.

Anyways, I’m going home.

Dont give me that BS

by jamesrl ·

I went to school on loans, no help from parents.

You spend thousands of dollars on school, why wouldn’t you spend a few $$ on a suit.

Sears warehouse, I have one suit I bought for $79.

Or just buy a blazer or sports coat.

The point is to make an effort.

I had one guy show up in one of those shiny prom suits – not professional, but at least I knew he was trying.

You want someone to validate that you can show up how you like? Fine. Don’t apply at a Fortune 1000 company – or at least not the vast majority of them.

James

James

it’s not BS

by jck ·

1) I interviewed with Wal-Mart Corporation last week in Bentonville, AR. US Airways almost didn’t get my bag back to me to have my suit for the interview. I almost had to go in jeans.

2) My friend Harold from college was in the situation of not having any money after he finished and he was working 2 part time jobs to make ends meet (pharmacy store and national guard). He couldn’t afford $79 for a suit. He ate 4 for $1 packs of Rodeo hotdogs and 4 for $1 Rainbo hotdog buns and 12 for $1 ramen noodles and generic ketchup and what not so he could eat on under $40 a month.

It’s not BS…it’s real life.

And BTW…if you had enough money left over from loans to afford that suit after you finished college, I guess you borrowed more than just for your education.

Anyways…go on dreaming everyone has it as nice as you did…and tell Tink and Peter Pan in Neverneverland I said hi too.

P.S.- I turned down Wal-Mart…

And how much was your friends cell phone bill?

by jdclyde ·

how much was cable tv?

no beer and cigs, right?

And it sounds like getting an extra $100 on a student loan would have been a smart idea, as the reason he went to college is to be able to get a job, right? Dressing appropreately to get a job isn’t rocket science, and something nice to wear is just one thing that you can do to KEEP from giving them a reason to pick someone else.

When interviewing dozens for a position, do you really think they have a lot else to go on that what your resume and appearance say about you?

First impressions do matter. Why put yourself at a disadvantage just because someone thinks they shouldn’t have to dress a certain way, or spent their money on something they thought was more important than a professional appearance?

haha…oh silly jdclyde

by jck ·

1) he had no cell phone…

2) he had no cable tv

3) he lived in a 1-room efficiency apartment above a garage

He didn’t have money, man…if he was blowing money on $hit, I’d have had no sympathy for him.

But…don’t think the circumstance doesn’t exist in the world just because you have not seen it.

As a matter of fact JCK

by jamesrl ·

Right out of university I didn’t get an IT job. I found a job working at a camera store for just over minimum wage. I wore a tweed jacket to my interview for that job.

If you really wanna know, I did get a student loan, and my parents were also expected to contribute a fair amount, but they didn’t. I don’t blame them, my family never had a lot and I had 4 brothers.

I didn’t drink a lot of beer or eat a lot of pizza in university, and much of what I did consume was due to the generosity of friends. I also got a part time job in my first week of university. I never had a lot of money.

I’ve eaten my fair shair of Ramen and hot dogs and Mac and cheese.

When I went for my first IT job interview, I borrowed money from my family for a suit.

You can sit there and judge me all you want. But I am closer to the perspective of hiring managers of the vast majority of companies than you.

James

jck, and the poor poor

by jdclyde ·

Picture this, I know someone that was working two jobs, bringing in about 18k a year, supporting a wife and twin boys, AND taking 9 credit hours a semester. You might even know him….

Things are tight all over.

Bottom line, many employers don’t CARE what your situation is, and seeing you THAT poor can count against you as someone that is hurting for money is more likely to perform petty theft. That is the same reason some employers will check your credit rating. Are they suppose to? No. Do they? Yes.

I am not sitting here judging anyone for the way they dress. I am just pointing out the fact that many people that ARE in the position to hire WILL judge you based on how you present yourself.

Crying about it not being fair won’t help one bit. It is the real world, and if you wish to play someone else’s game, you have to play by their rules. YOUR only solution is to find someone that has rules you want to play by or become your own boss and make up your own rules. Simple, really. Anything else is just making excuses.

Right now, that same guy I was referring to has sole custody, and is raising his twin boys with no financial support or assistance from his ex-wife. Add to that, his oldest twin is trying to be very helpful. He is helping them to meet their insurance deductible as he just broke his hand skateboarding. ;\

And like I said a few posts ago, I do not own a suit today, but I do have a sports jacket and a nice conservative tie that goes with it. My boss is retiring at the end of the week, so I think I need to dust it off and update my resume and try to move up the ladder now that an opening is there. B-)

Well Said, JD.

by captbilly1eye ·

Whoa.
          That said it all and in a clear way.

…sounds like you’re used to using a crutch as a lever rather than an excuse. In other words, not allowing roadblocks to equal a dead stop.

Good Points.

Using a bad situation to be self-righteously blind to the realities of business doesn’t get anyone anywhere but into a worse situation.

oh… and… Good Luck

Thanks cap

by jdclyde ·

[i]”Using a bad situation to be self-righteously blind to the realities of business doesn’t get anyone anywhere but into a worse situation.”[/i]

The “I’m a victim” syndrome these people put themselves in is exactly why there are so many people that are just getting by in life. Next thing you know, they will think that someone other than themselves should be responsible to pay for their health care. After that, someone other than themselves should start making their car payments too….. :0

How did this country sink so low?

I had a similar discussion with someone sniveling about how his facial piercings should not stop him from getting a good job. Waaaaaaaaaaaa. He got pissed when I told him if I was doing the hiring, he wouldn’t make it past the first interview, provided he was able to sneak in that far, and if he DID get that far, it would be a very short interview as he wouldn’t have a snowballs chance in hell unless we are talking hiring to be a ditch digger that never is seen by the public.

Oh, and my boy got lucky. They just put a splint on his hand instead of a cast. A lucky turn of events, considering how hot a cast would be this time of year, and the difficulties with taking showers.

Well apparently

by jck ·

none of you have ever been in real dire financial situations like my friend.

Again, my friend was poor as hell…whether you want to believe it or not.

As for borrowing money from family…he had parents who had money…and…they would not loan him anything. So, count yourself lucky if yours helped you…his wouldn’t.

JamesRL: I’ve been in a hiring firing roll before, and I got there by age 27. I chose not to be a manager. So, don’t stick that nose up in the air and be all pious with me. I’ve been where you are at, and I found it dull, useless, and technically about as challenging as passing gas. I left it willingly. I hope you’ll say the same for your career rather than being removed through attrition.

jdclyde: Like I said before…because you haven’t been there or seen someone who is in it…don’t think it doesn’t exist. My friend didn’t even make $18k per year, especially when he was mobilized to Ft. Ord in Desert Storm and the military was his only income. He made $5-something an hour from Revco Drug. He made a few hundred a month from the National Guard.

Luckily enough…someone in management didn’t think him totally incompetent because he couldn’t borrow money off his relatives or take more loans to enhance his wardrobe.

Last I talked to him, he was working as a digital trunk line engineer for Alcatel.

Anyway…I must be in the wrong place being around the aristocracy of IT. I feel out of place here anymore, hence I am making myself scarce.

I have no time to argue with people who think that there is a definitive set of traits that define the quality of a person’s work ethic, and one of those major indicators being how much you’re willing to spend for clothing.

I wish you all the best…and hope none of you are judged for technical merit based on your wardrobe.

Dress nice!

by dt2 ·

Dress nice. Remember, the interviewer doesn’t know you from Adam. All they have to go on is your resume and how well you performed in the interview. How would the interviewer know that you are meticulous in your coding and database design? Because you told them so? Given that you have two people that seem to be equally qualified from their resumes and interviews, the one that dresses nicer will tip the scales in their favor.

Good Point. But…

by captbilly1eye ·

In reply to it depends

I was focusing more on the initial ‘Please Hire Me’ interview.
        Because it is more acceptable now in the work place to ‘dress down’ to a point, does that transfer over to the interview?
        Or is it still as important to dress more for the job of the person interviewing rather than the job you are interviewing for?

The book, ‘Dress for Success’, published back in the 70s (with a revised, updated version in the 90s) was aimed at the idea that you should look your best in order to land the job that leads to your success. Although, the idea of trying to make a impression by dressing the part may have become diluted over the years. Don’t you think it still carries some weight?

I keep remembering a manager I once had that said; “you should always dress for the job you want, not the one you have.”

Dress for the job you want

by lhanson ·

In reply to Good Point. But…

CaptBillyOneEye beat me to the punch. I dress down at work but not as down as some of my people. When I interviewed for this job and others I was considering at the time, I wore suits and ties. My theory is that I wanted them to get the impression they were hiring a professional who takes his job seriously. I don’t make it a point, but I dress better than the president of the company. In fact he asked me not to wear my suit coat to a meeting with a customer one day and was a little surprised to see me in a tie.

Regardless of what you wear, bring a pen.

by charliespencer ·

Nothing says unprepared like borrowing a pen when asked to fill out an application. I knew a manager who kept a green pen for just such requests. That way he could tell at a glance what applications to ignore.

Don’t ask to use their copier to make a copy of your resume, vita, references, etc. You should have done that before you got there.

Don’t rely on others for transportation. The only thing worse than being late because your friend had car trouble is having to leave the interview because your friend has an appointment of his own. If you can’t arrange reliable transportation for a single interview, how are you going to do it five days a week?

I knew a ‘green pen’ manager too.

by locrian_lyric ·

In reply to Regardless of what you wear, bring a pen.

explicit instructions to the receptionist…

if an applicant asked to borrow the pen, green it was…

Not exactly green pen, but….

by n4aof1 ·

In reply to I knew a ‘green pen’ manager too.

While I was involved in hiring people it was a place where we received specific applications before we considered doing interviews. A sloppy application NEVER resulted in an interview. Back in the days of typewriters, in one large batch of applicants for an Admin Services position (glorified typist) every hand written application was discarded unread, followed into the trash by each application with less than perfect spelling, visible corrections, and where the text was out of place.

Our standards for applications for professional positions were NOT QUITE as absolute on the appearance of the application, but ‘neatness and spelling’ were still absolutely mandatory.

As for dress and appearance at the interview, we expected the applicant to look at least as well dressed as would be appropriate for the job.

In the real world there is a double-standard for female applicants to dress appropriately simply because there are more kinds of “inappropriate” ways for a woman to dress. (I have never seen a male applicant for any office job show up looking like an actor at a casting call for a Fabio stand-in but I have seen several women show up for a morning interview dressed for a night at the club).

Absolutely

by jamesrl ·

Have an extra copy of your resume just in case they invite another guest into the interview (it happens).

Get to the area of the interview well before hand. Find a place to sit with coffee/tea and review your notes before the interview – you did take notes when you researched the company right?

If the interview is in an unfamiliar area, drive there at night so you know the way – but assume traffic will be worse when the interview happens.

Tide to go….nuff said. Bring an extra tie.

I polish my shoes the night before.

I’ve gone so far as to call up my references and review some of my behavioural questions (tell me about a time when you….). A little coaching can go a long way, and since you can anticipate certain questions, you can really shine if you make the effort.

James

preparing for interview

by jdclyde ·

In reply to Absolutely

It really is amazing how many people don’t even THINK about this as a repeatable process.

Research the company? I have seen people walking in, looking for a job and put “any” under the position desired. Yeah, that will impress them.

My last two interviews I was painfully unprepared for, and was even wearing jeans and a tee shirt for one, but they were cases where I was referred to them and they asked me to come right over for an interview. Got both jobs.

With the current market, I think I had better build a new resume and prepare for the worst. If the worst happens and I am prepared for it, it isn’t as big a deal.

well….

by alphatech9 ·

I generally follow this rule also. But I will say that it probably only comes into play 10%-20% of the time. More often than not they hand you a pen and an application in one. They never see your pen. I like my own pen because I prefer the gel pens, over traditional ink. I write so much better with the gel, and of course you want to write as neat as possible on any app….

I bring a nice folder with all my stuff

by jmgarvin ·

I bring an extra cover letter and resume/cv, references, a pen, scratch paper, and a small portfolio of work (code samples, curriculum snippets, etc).

I’ve also gotten in the habit of driving to the office where I will be interviewing the night before. It gives me an idea of the distance and I won’t get lost when I head to the interview.

I hate the new hottness of filling out applications for EVERY job…blech…

I ran into that

by freebird54 ·

one time. At that point I pulled out the cheap Bic I had along, and told him I rarely used a pen (as I was always in reach of a computer) but at least the colour of the one I had was an improvement!

Not that I knew what he was doing – but that could well have been it! As for transportation – if you really don’t have a reliable setup, bite the bullet and use a cab. You can bus it to fairly nearby to keep the cost down – and walking back to the bus isn’t that big a hardship – after all, you can lose the tie AFTER the interview… 🙂

I think it is best to arrive slightly overdressed – it is easy to achieve more informality after arrival if it seems to be more appropriate – and very hard to go the other direction!

Really, the interview should not be your first time there

by jdclyde ·

In reply to I ran into that

If it is worth getting the job, you should know a little bit more about it? In todays market with the internet postings allowing the interviewer to find more qualified applicants, anything to stand out of the crowd is good, like knowing how people dress because you have been there already.

The old standby

by locrian_lyric ·

Suit and tie for men, business dress for women.

UNLESS:

you happen to know that a particular company considers that to be too formal, and there aren’t many that do.

I’d agree. except…

by winnie the pooh ·

In reply to The old standby

What do you do in a situation where the company is ‘dress casual?’ How do you know what they consider ‘too formal’?
        In the past I’d say – suit. But now I’m wondering if a sport coat & tie would be better. – with dress pants, of couse.
        I went to an interview for an assistant manager position a month ago wearing a new, tailored suit. I felt that in the large company where I applied where everyone is in casual clothes, including the manager, that I was over dressed. It made me self-conscious and uncomfortable. Needless to say, I didn’t get called back. But that was most likely related to my limited certs.

Not getting called back

by jdclyde ·

In reply to I’d agree. except…

If you felt uncomfortable, you probably LOOKED uncomfortable.

The interviewer could easily mistake being uncomfortable on being over dressed with a lack of confidence in your abilities.

Exactly

by captbilly1eye ·

In reply to Not getting called back

It’s hard to hide it when you’re uncomfortable.
          Makes ’em think there is something else buggin’ ya.

Point well taken

by winnie the pooh ·

In reply to Not getting called back

I can see how that may have had something to do with it.

But the silver lining was that I landed a better job anyway.
          funny how things work like that.

the better job

by downrighttired ·

In reply to Point well taken

did you wear a suit to that interview?

nope

by winnie the pooh ·

In reply to the better job

I wore a blue sport coat, power tie, white shirt and gray slacks.
          quite dapper if I do say so myself.

A blessing in disguise?

by jdclyde ·

In reply to Point well taken

Not getting a certain job sometimes is a good thing. I have applied places and been denied. Years later I would meet someone that had been there and they HATED it there. Dodged that bullet!

Congrats on the better job.

And yes, DID you dress up for the better job?

funny you should say that

by winnie the pooh ·

In reply to A blessing in disguise?

That company that didn’t hire me is going through its second wave of lay-offs. I would have probably been axed due to lack of seniority.

and, yes. I dressed up but I wore a sport coat as opposed to a full suit.

Programmer to Programmer

by onbliss ·

Dress matters less. Attitude matters more to me as a programmer.

But a well ironed full sleeves + pants, and recently shined shoes would do good for me.

Typically a suit

by jmgarvin ·

I tend to wear a dark 2 piece suit with either a white shirt, for the more conservative areas of the country, or a colored shirt. I usually wear a primarily red, blue, or black tie.

However, most interviews in the southwest and California seem to be ok with a shirt and tie.

This kind of suit

by ironspider ·

Tie optional

Message was edited by: beth.blakely@…

Nice!

by captbilly1eye ·

In reply to This kind of suit

I figured it was only a matter of time till someone took the low road. Congrats on being the first.
        Actually I expected something more like a suggestion for women to wear a French Maid outfit. 🙂

Is this a shot of you working in your underwear?

This is me in my underwear

by ironspider ·

In reply to Nice!

At least in my mind’s eye.

I hate you so much….

by jmgarvin ·

Zee goggles, zey do nathing…

Thanks a lot, Spidey

by charliespencer ·

I can’t unsubscribe from this topic fast enough.

I wear

by tig2 ·

A long skirted black suit in winter- with appropriate footwear, and a shorter skirted black suit in summer.

The feedback I hear, even if I am not the preferred candidate is that I was appropriately attired and would continue to make stellar first impressions.

Yes, how you dress for the interview speaks volumes.

Yeah, speaks volumes.

by ironspider ·

In reply to I wear

Speaking louder.

skirt vs pants for women

by jdclyde ·

In reply to I wear

Do you feel like you are treated differently in a dress than a pants suit?

I have seem some that pull it off nicely, but others, not so nicely.

Oh yeah, it seems like ironspider has shown himself to be unworthy of reading his comments. That didn’t take long, did it?

I dunno

by tig2 ·

In reply to skirt vs pants for women

Never got to see it. I had to do real work today.

The comment I get has more to do with ingrained bias- that business professional for a woman is a skirted suit.

There is a rule about short skirted suits- the hem must NEVER be above the knee. And a tailored blouse is the appropriate pairing, although in this state, a crew necked sweater or turtleneck is acceptable.

Oh and no black hose after Memorial Day. Not in the work environment, anyway.

Good question, jd……..

by gadgetgirl ·

In reply to skirt vs pants for women

I’ve found that there ARE distinct differences. I’ve no idea why! Perhaps it’s the old fashioned thing of ladies should only wear dresses/skirts, not trousers. It could be the “look feminine” thing….. ;\

I agree with you; some women can carry off a skirt suit and some look downright uncomfortable. From my experience, it depends how good the woman feels wearing skirts. I’ve a few female friends who only possess one skirt, as part of a suit, that they keep solely for interview situations.

That’s when it tells; believe it or not, guys, you have to be used to wearing a skirt to wear one well. That’s why I started occasionally wearing skirts for work (to comments like “oh you HAVE got legs!” and ” is this the annual outing for your legs?!” etc.) I found I was less “confident” if I hadn’t worn a skirt for a while. Why? You forget the niceities of how to sit/stand, get in/out of a car etc. without showing off your underwear! You also forget how to gauge gusts of wind, and when to hang on to your hem before it hits you in the face…. 😉

For me, on the interview front, I’m two for two with the skirt suits, so I’ll probably never wear a trouser suit for interview again…. :p

GG

Fair or not, it is the world we live in

by jdclyde ·

In reply to Good question, jd……..

And knowing the rules allows you to get by. I follow the same idea of maintaining the illusion of respectability in my professional life.

Very few here at work know I go to OzFest every year, and even fewer know I crash the mosh pits. I think only one person knows I have a tattoo, and NONE of them know or have seen me with an ear ring in ( now THAT was an interesting story, for another time…. )

People that know me, know I am folicolly challenged, so I keep it trimmed short (what is left). No bald guy with the big pony tail here!

We play by others rules when we want to play THEIR game. You are free to “be yourself” when you are your own boss.

And yes, guys are just WAITING for women to been to pick something up the wrong way. It is the simple things in life that make it all worth living….. ]:) 😡

oh, I remember something about your tattoo…..

by gadgetgirl ·

In reply to Fair or not, it is the world we live in

I think you told me what it was, but the heat has my memory fried today….

More importantly – WHERE??!!

😡

As for keeping your hair trimmed short – same question! WHERE??!!

:p 😀 :p 😀 :p 😀

]:)

GG

Lets just leave it at

by jdclyde ·

In reply to oh, I remember something about your tattoo…..

In high school, I was referred to as “The Missing Link” because of being “fuzzy”. 😀

Got to keep “it” well groomed, ya know? B-)

Tat, just a dragon on my calf. Nothing scandalous, sorry!

Got that whole “heat” thing started up again already? Or is this coming in “flashes”? :0

Waaaaaaay past the “flashes” stage….

by gadgetgirl ·

In reply to Lets just leave it at

This morning, the weather forecast for my area said no wind, cloudy, dry (ish) and 66F.

In actuality, it’s blue sky, blazing hot sunshine, no clouds at all, they’ve burned off, the wind is distinctly warm, and the temp keeps going between around 72 – 76F.

Help! I’m melting!

😉

Can I have some g & t to go with the ice you’re going to want to send me, please??

😡

GG

dress for work vs home

by naughtymonkey ·

In reply to Fair or not, it is the world we live in

I have a pierced lip, a few ear piercings, and multiple tattoos. One tattoo is on my forearm (bad decision when I was 16) so I always wear long sleeves to interviews unless I know the company is not appearance bias. Usually I wear a suit and lose the jacket if I don’t feel I need it. I also never wear any piercings to the interview.

After I get a job, I tend to wear long sleeves for a few days and eventually roll them up or something after testing peoples opinions on tattoos. That was a dumb thing to do, but I get by with it. I also never wear any piercings to work. I maintain a professional appearance and dress however is standard for the company. I don’t talk about the killer show I went to the night before or how my wife pissed me off. My personal life stays personal and I do my job well.

Even after you get a job, you still have to impress in one way or another (hopefully by what you know), so you can’t let your guard down right away.

Spanking the Naughty Monkey

by jdclyde ·

In reply to dress for work vs home

Sorry, I just HAD to say that! ]:)

Anywho… You are referring to what I call “Maintaining the illusion of respectability”.

When I got my office job, I stopped wearing my ear ring. At Ozzfest or halloween, I will put one back in, but NEVER at work or around anyone from work.

A lot of this goes back to the same ideas of what is proper behavior at an office Christmas party. Don’t drink too much, dress nicely, and don’t use this as a time to beotch about how dumb the boss is.

Back in “the day”, I ALMOST got a tat on my forearm, but lucky for me I didn’t like the idea of getting something off the wall. Was going to get a falcon, but then my but got an eagle there, so scratch that……

watch it…

by naughtymonkey ·

In reply to Spanking the Naughty Monkey

i will sue for sexual harassment. Of course if it were someone like GG or Shelbot that would be different.

Still matters

by glennhughes ·

Always wear formal business attire when you attend an interview until such a time that the interviewer says the company has a casual dress code (I’d still go for formal personally though) or, if you are successful, you join the company and find it out then.
      Also stick with the idiots dress guide – plain, basic colour suits (black, dark blue, grey etc.), no Homer Simpson ties or socks, polished shoes, have a shave, no ‘sexy’ clothes for women (it won’t get you any points unless the interviewer is a complete idiot anyway).
      I interview for various positions from software engineer to manager and if they show up scruffy I think they haven’t made any effort and aren’t bothered about the role or their chances.

Do not forget what works for you.

by Anonymous ·

In reply to Still matters

I am a rather short person and tend to look much shorter when wearing a suit. I have found that nice sport coats work very well for me. I will always wear slacks, pressed shirt, tie, and sport coat for a first interview. On a second interview I will tailor my dress to be slightly better than what the interviewer was wearing on my first interview.

This worked very well about six months ago when I interviewed for my current position. I interviewed with a CPA firm and dressed appropriately. The manager who interviewed me actually apologized for not being more appropriately dressed herself. This gave me an opportunity to break the ice and take control of the interview. I left confident that I had landed the job. The second interview was a formality with one of the partners. I was offered the job an hour after I left the second interview.

If you dress well it is easier for the manager to imagine you dressing down appropriately than the reverse.

You are correct sir!!

by nubianrugby ·

In reply to Still matters

I couldn’t agree more, a suit is never inappropriate at a job interview. Even when I worked at a company where people came to the office in shorts and flip-flops, it was important to them that when I presented myself for an interview I took the time and effort to put my best foot forward.

“I took the time and effort to put my best foot forward.”…

by older mycroft ·

In reply to You are correct sir!!

Which one?

Oh, and how flashy was the one solitary shoe?

no tie no job

by rippleintheforce ·

If you don’t care enough to dress like you want the job, you wont get it. Show up at my place in jeans and a t-shirt you are automatically not considered After you get the job dress like everybody else.

Geographical location matters!

by older mycroft ·

I once went for an interview back in 1980, in Hod Hasharon – a suburb of Tel Aviv – and went in to the room wearing a FLAK JACKET, the bloke at the main door of the building had given it to me.

And no CaptBilly, I didn’t shake his hand easily!

I go full on

by tony hopkinson ·

Three piece, wing collar, tie, trousers pressed to knide edges, shoes shined to mirror brighness….

I like them to know they are interviewing ‘up hill’. I don’t care how professional they think they are, I’m more.

Important point though, it makes me feel comfortable.

I don’t go that far, but…

by devin.rambo ·

In reply to I go full on

…the fact of the matter is that I’ve never heard of anyone not getting a job because they showed up for the interview in a suit and tie.

As we can see, this thread is filled with examples of the opposite happening.

Earrings

by amkrap ·

I’m inteviewing for an IT position and had a young man come in with silver hoop earrings in each ear. Anyone want to comment?

Sure

by jamesrl ·

In reply to Earrings

I don’t discriminate based on earings.

An overall comment about jewellry, is that no matter the sex/sexuality or age or ethnic background of the individual, any jewellry that a candidate wears to an interview should be tasteful, and when in doubt, go subtle.

James

nose and lips?

by jdclyde ·

In reply to Sure

How about the other places? Eyebrows?

Again, it depends on the job.

If this is someplace that is putting out a professional appearance and this is someone that will be dealing with the public, they just made sure they would not work for me.

Again, you can be as creative as you want, when you work for yourself. Once you want someone else to had you a paycheck, you are obligated to conform to the standards of that employer.

On a guy, large hoops would be a deal killer. Matter of fact, in most professional positions, wouldn’t large hoops be inappropriate for a woman to wear to an interview?

Good Question

by captbilly1eye ·

In reply to Earrings

What is ‘appropriate’ when it comes to jewelry?
        Obviously, whether we want to admit it or not, there is a difference depending on gender.

Personally, I think of male jewelry (other than watches and a simple ring or two) as unprofessional.
        Although body piercing and tattoos have become more acceptable, I still believe that they don’t win you any points in an interview.

I’m interested to see where THIS thread goes 😉

Jewelry

by jdclyde ·

In reply to Good Question

I have actually heard that for a man, a watch or bracelet is NOT optional? Anyone else have anything to add on that? (hopefully someone that knows something about hiring).

visible tattoos are not generally acceptable if your looking to get a job in a big IT shop.

How big were the hoops? ;-)

by jmgarvin ·

In reply to Earrings

Actually, that is a turn off to me. I really hate those big hoops they put in their ear lobes to stretch them out.

To be honest though, I take the candidate for what they are worth on paper, in the interview, in their dress, and their portfolio.

I hired a guy that was dressed to the nines, interviewed well, but he was a dud….

So I guess the point is don’t always judge a book by its cover, no matter how moronic it may be.

I would never judge a book by its cover alone

by jamesrl ·

In reply to How big were the hoops? ;-)

But if you can’t be bothered to make an effort to present the best side of your self in a job interview, what does that say about you?

If you want the job make the effort.

James

I agree

by jmgarvin ·

In reply to I would never judge a book by its cover alone

However, so people are smart, but stupid when
          it comes to things like dress code…I donno
          why it works that way, but it does.

My question is what about those morons that
          are getting items inserted under the skin…I
          saw a guy with horns the other day…wtf?

Well…

by jellimonsta ·

In reply to I agree

If that prospective employee were to interface with customers or otherwise be a public representative of the company, he would not be hired with horns on his head, or scale tattoo’s covering his face. 😀
          However, if he is to work in a back room and can stay late to scare the crap out of the cleaning lady, he has a good chance. :p

forked tongue is classy

by jdclyde ·

In reply to I agree

have you seen that cute trick? Split the tongue so it looks like a snakes tongue. no, splitting a muscle like that won’t cause them major issues later in life, huh? (health)

I am a firm believer in people being as unique as they can think to be, but realizing all along that you don’t not have a RIGHT to get any job you want, looking any way you want. You WILL be judged by what you look like, and if you make the choice to look a certain way, understand that it is YOU that has limited your options.

No, I would never hire a moron with horns.

Earrings

by amkrap ·

In reply to How big were the hoops? ;-)

The hoops were rather large, in fact that was the first thing that caught my eye when I walked in the room. With respect to attire, much depends on the what part of the country the company is located in. I can tell you that western PA is mostly a conservative area and proper attire does matter.

I only wear one small pair of earrings to interviews

by server queen ·

In reply to Earrings

(I’m female, btw.) I have four piercings in one ear, and three in the other, but to interviews, I only wear one very small pair of earrings. I also have quite a number of tattoos, but only one would normally show at work (they’re mostly on my back); I have one on my wrist which I cover with a wristwatch for interviews.

As to dress – well, I pretty much always wear a conservative charcoal grey skirted suit and black blouse to interviews. They’ll basically never see that suit again, but that’s what I keep it for. (I never wear skirts to work – it’s freaking cold to go into a raised-floor server room and have that underfloor a/c blow up a skirt!)

Disgusting

by tony hopkinson ·

In reply to Earrings

Blokes should only have one ear pierced.

That’s a hard one I got a job with my earing in, then was asked if I would take it out a few weeks later. So I can only presume they were less eagle eyed than yourself.

Given the way they ran the job, it wasn’t the only thing they missed.

Was he good at the job?

Please read above comment

by naughtymonkey ·

In reply to Earrings

Suit and Tie

by mjohnston ·

I always wear a suit and tie to an interview.

I don’t own a suit ..

by sobaldrick ·

In reply to Suit and Tie

but I do own plenty of ties, 99% of them not suitable for an interview.

I live in the North West. Do not bother wearing a tie to an IT interview. Everyone in town will know that you are interviewing. That is unless you are going for a job with Expediters .. the only IT organization in the NW that insists on you wearing a tie to work.

Les.

Working in IT since 1976

by metilley9 ·

In reply to I don’t own a suit ..

It has been my personal experience that very few employers expect (or want) employees to wear suits and ties. With the exception of EDS, I have never had to wear a suit and tie. (Actually a vest was required there in the early 80’s even if a program bombed and I was called in at 3 a.m.!)

In fact, several employers have taken me aside on my interview day to tell me, point-blank, “don’t ever come back here wearing a suit or a tie!” Those are the companies that value knowledge and skills more than how you dressed.

Over the years I have discarded my suits and will not wear one. My “best” is comprised of Dockers, Hush Puppies, and a Ralph Lauren Polo (or dress) shirt. If the interviewer cannot accept me and my skill-set outside of a suit and tie, then I don’t want to work for him or her.

In the IT profession, more and more people work by telecommuting so it should be a moot point what they wear. I have known people that wear nothing at home when they work. I have known people that wear shorts and sandals at work. I have known very few that wear stuffy suits and ties at work. Even the managers that I have worked with (and for) do not wear suits.

At EDS, I was told that sweaters were out as were lace-up shoes. The CEO didn’t like them, but (of course) it was okay for him to wear these. That was in the early 80’s. That CEO doesn’t run EDS anymore. I wonder why?

Wear a Suit Just In Case

by jedmundson ·

I work in an industrial environment (AKA a factory).
      When I went for my interview, I wore a suit, Just In Case. My interviewer was wearing a polo shirt and slacks. One of the first things he told me is that since we’re in an industrial environment, my possible future co-workers wouldn’t trust a man in a shirt and tie. I made sure that he saw my “oops look” and took off the tie. It obviously made a difference in the course of the interview. It went from a “Why should we hire you” to “Here’s why you want to work for us” discussion.

A couple of years later I went to a conference out of state and happened to see the exit of a young woman from her interview in the hotel I was staying in. She was dressed as if she was wearing a “Love for Rent” sign. I spoke to the manager after the interviewee was out the door and was told that Satin would be ice skating in his back yard first.
      Your clothes do make a difference when being interviewed. Remember, you only get one chance at making a good first impression. Don’t take chances.

Satin?

by jellimonsta ·

In reply to Wear a Suit Just In Case

Should that be Satan or Stalin? Or better yet, is there much difference? :p

BTW, I have always worn a suit and tie to an interview (except when I lived in the Canary Islands, then I just wore a short sleeved shirt and shorts). 😀

Satin?

by metilley9 ·

In reply to Wear a Suit Just In Case

ha ha

Not cut and dried

by jc2it ·

You’re best bet is to scope out the folks as they leave for lunch, or when they leave from work. Out West here, we don’t see a lot of formal dress except for banks, or large companies based in the NorthEast. This generalization is just that, a generalization. You are always better off overdressing than under dressing, but cleanliness is Gold.

Good Luck!
      BTW Whatever you do don’t wear Pirate Attire. Arghhh! Pieces o’ eight!

What? No pirate gear?

by jmgarvin ·

In reply to Not cut and dried

That’s how I dress!! 🙂

Arrrrrrrrr

by captbilly1eye ·

In reply to What? No pirate gear?

Me, too… well maybe only on Halloween. 🙂

Would that be cheesy?

by jdclyde ·

In reply to Arrrrrrrrr

to go as a dead pirate for Halloween, with all the pirate movie stuff going around?

I could see that….. hmmmmm.

Naw

by captbilly1eye ·

In reply to Would that be cheesy?

cheesy would be wearing one of those Cheese Head hats from Wisconsin. 🙂

Hey… I was a pirate way before Depp. 😀

A suit is usually best…

by naughtymonkey ·

Even though I am a short, fat, yet incredibly sexy individual, I have a hard time finding a suit that looks good on me. Thank goodness for my devoted wife who loves to tell me when I look like s**t, but when I do find a suit, I look good.

Sorry, I had to talk myself up a little.

Interview vs Interrogation

by djnrf ·

In reality, there is actually no difference
      between these two words. The general impression of people makes a difference, but it is not this personal impression, or definition that makes the difference. A very real method to determine which word best describes this act of a company is the personel officer of a company.

Now, comes the personel department of a
      company. Unfortunately, I have yet to see
      even ONE such person who actually does a
      proper job. (Not even, “E Pluribus Unium”)
      In this day of modern technology and big
      corporations, this job has become a mere
      ‘rubber stamp’ with high paying salaries.
      Executives, office staff, and corporate
      policy rules have made the ‘art’ of an
      interview a thing of the past. This ‘art’
      is nothing more today than a waste of time
      for everyone, because it is NOT geared to
      getting the best people for the job. Instead,
      it is geared to getting the best paperwork
      ON the job. What SHOULD be seen in a company personel officer is a person who is less concerned with any paperwork before hiring, and more about the person …… IN PERSON!

In my days of hiring, I always found it best
      to make an interview for a job to be more
      like a visit with the person on a Sunday
      afternoon while the person was out mowing
      his lawn. Although, if I held such interview
      in a formal office atmosphere, I expected
      the person to be presenting himself in as
      formal dress as the office would tend to
      indicate. Out mowing the yard would present
      a whole bunch less of such formal dress.
      The best rule of thumb is to use the military
      rule where you wear the ‘uniform’ appropriate
      to the task. At a pool, wear trunks, and
      carry a towel. Working on a car, wear your
      old work clothes. In a formal office, wear
      your suit. Many times I would merely hold an interview with a person at some coffee shop. Casual dress appropriate for that coffee shop was more than adequate.

How would I handle a first ‘walk-in’ to
      apply? I would grab a scratch pad, napkin,
      or whatever was handy so that I could take
      name, address, and phone number. Nothing
      more. That is not the time for an application! I didn’t want to read an
      application or resume’. I wanted to ‘read’
      the person first! How good was he in his
      personal appearance presentation, how well
      he would converse with me in a conversation,
      how well would he appear in his ability to
      ‘think on his feet’, how well he appeared to
      have that good, old common sense (that isn’t
      very common any more). You can never get this
      type of ‘reading’ of a person by paperwork.
      If he tended to appear good in the above points
      it is very likely he can be trained well by
      me to do just about any job. Highly technical
      or skilled work about the type of task I
      would be hiring him for would come out during
      our ‘visit’. It can be added into his file
      on the application or resume’ afterwards.

So, what should be worn for an interview?
      Follow the suggestions I have listed above,
      and just maybe, one day, we might be able to
      get some real personel officers who can do a
      real job.

Viewing 17 reply threads