Question

• Creator
    Topic

what is the problem when a Dell M5030 is not displaying?

by tedbloh ·

The PC is a Dell M5030 series it is powering on but its not displaying and it is also having beeps in succession.

All Answers

• Author
    Replies

Clarifications

by tedbloh ·

In reply to what is the problem when a Dell M5030 is not displaying?

Clarifications

Beep Codes

by robo_dev ·

When a PC cannot boot, it beeps a certain number of times to let you know what it wrong.

Beep codes are typically created by either memory failures or video card failures and the number of beeps tells you which one it is. (so count the beeps)

While typically a laptop’s video hardware is soldered to the main board, the video card on yours is a separate card inside which may or may not be easy to swap. But there is a reasonable chance that the whole system board does not need to be swapped.

Also, while some of the memory is soldered to the main board, there is typically a memory module that can be removed/replaced without too much effort.

If yours is under warranty, you need to get on the phone to Dell.

If not, then based on the number of beeps then unplugging/reseating/replacing the video card and/or unplugging/reseating/replacing the memory module, or if that fails, then it may be the motherboard or processor, which is more costly/involved.

Go here

by oh smeg ·

http://search.dell.com/results.aspx?s=dhs&c=us&l=en&cs=19&k=Dell+Inspiron+M5030&cat=sup&x=0&y=0

In one of those BIOS Listings there should be a Beep Code telling you what those Beeps actually mean.

once you know what is wrong you can then proceed to see if it’s worth the time & effort in repairing.

Of course as said above if the unit is still under guarantee ring Dell straight away and don’t do anything which may void the warranty.

Col

Reponse To Answer

by robo_dev ·

In reply to Go here

Ummmm….so then desoldering and replacing surface-mount-devices might, in fact void my valuable Dell warranty? (palm slap to face). 🙂

Reponse To Answer

by oh smeg ·

In reply to Go here

RE:- [i]so then desoldering and replacing surface-mount-devices might[/i]

Only if you use a Gas Fired Soldering Gun which turns the Circuit board into Charcoal.

Don’t laugh I’ve seen it done in the past. 🙁

Col

Question?

by emoylanire ·

Have you had any work done on it or had the case open? If so you could have dirtied the contacts on either the memory chip or the video card. The memory is fully removeable and when i had that pc I had the same problem and the beeps told me it was memory. Took out the chip gave the contacts a wipe and voila.

Dell m5030 beeping problem

by helpline ·

There is a well documented problem with the motherboards on the Dell Insprion M5030 – if you go to the Dell website there are dozens of reported issues with the same diagnostics (no boot + 7 long beeps). This is happening in the 6-18 month period, some are lucky(?) to have the boards replaced if within 12 months, Dell are ignoring the problem if outside. Even replacement boards are having the same problem probably because Dell have attempted to repair the faulty boards they have taken back.

This system is still on sale as new in several outlets – best to avoid this model if not too late.

did you ever get this resolved

by brian ·

I was wondering if you ever got this resolved. if not, i may be interested in purchasing your laptop from you. please contact me at me@brianlasher.com.

thanks

-Brian

Viewing 5 reply threads