General discussion

• Creator
    Topic

What is the whole point of Autologon?

by mabarker ·

Sure its cute and easy to install. I think it took me under a minute and I had not one problem. I only did it for a school project, not because I saw any value in it. I see it as a security risk and a waste of space. Surly nobody would be crazy enough to put this in the work place so that put it on the home PC? Whats the point? How often are you locking that up to get a snack. If you are using this on your business please let me know so I can never do business with you again because Im no stranger to credit card theft in the retail industry.
    I would like to have insightful pro’s and con’s.

All Comments

• Author
    Replies

The whole point is to

by michael jay ·

In reply to What is the whole point of Autologon?

lock down who can logon to the unit, with autologon you use an id that has limited rights, via polices+direct user rights.

Used properly it is indeed not a security risk but a security measure to keep a kiosk for example as a usable source of info without allowing anyone to tamper with it, or use it in an unwholesome way.

If you used it on your work pc with your access and rights I can see where it would be a security risk, but there is no need there as you know your Id and password.

Oh, and locking your station every time you leave it is a very good idea.

Also, I think you were meaning to post to

by michael jay ·

this, over here;
      http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/10things/?p=1164&tag=content;leftCol

No need to start an additional discussion.

Don’t worry!

by acidbomb ·

autologon can only log you in a restricted account without any passwords!

if that PC has such a weak security user so it cant be a important working PC or server or like that 😉

on the other hand if the PC is an important one and there is no such users ( without password) the autologon cant be used! and there is nothing to worry about 😉

It just can be used in public computers that may users confused to log on to which user!

hm… I’ll nibble at this….

by —tk— ·

Little background for you… For work, I use XP sp3. It is corp moded to a “T”, so login takes about 5-7 minutes (after “SafeBoot”) + plus all my auto start progs.

I use Autologin (tweakXP) to log into my pc with my local domain account. Security risk? I think not! Its called be creative and understand that PC’s only do what they are told…

With the understanding, that PC’s only do what they are told… the first thing my PC does when it auto logs in is fire off a .bat file that locks the screen. So, I can walk away while everything loads, and not worry about if someone is going to use my account to do what ever on my machine/domain.

Yes, I use the winkey+L to lock my machine every time I leave my desk. Who doesn’t?

“If you are using this on your business please let me know so I can never do business with you again because Im no stranger to credit card theft in the retail industry.” – This has to be the most ignorant statement I have seen in a long time! Some get this guy a typewriter, he shouldn’t be using a PC.

Viewing 3 reply threads