General discussion

what is TTL =128 OR 64 0R 255

By mdjameer ·
HI ALL
PLSE HELP ME TO UNDERSTAND TTL =128
WHEN I PING ANY IP LIKE 192.168.1.1
REPLY FROM 192.168.1.1 : BYTES=32 TIME<10MS TTL =128 I WANT TO KNOWN TAHT WHAT IS TTL. TTL IS MY MY NETWORK SPEED ?OR NETWORK CARD SPEED ?WHAT IS 128 OR ANY NO. AFTER COMING TTL (TTL=128).PLSE TELL ME CORECT DEFINATION OF TTL PLSE

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by dmiles In reply to what is TTL =128 OR 64 0R ...

Definition: Time To Live (TTL): A quantity of time or instances that a program will attempt to send or receive information before the data is discarded due to inactivity.

Collapse -

by mdjameer In reply to

Poster rated this answer.
thanx

Collapse -

by Joseph Moore In reply to what is TTL =128 OR 64 0R ...

TTL is "Time To Live" and it "This value specifies the number of ?hops? or hosts that your TCP/IP request can go through before timing out."
So, for each switch/router/computer your traffic passes through en route to the destination, that counts as 1 hop, and the TTL to your destination will decrease by each hop. So, when you PING something on your LAN, the TTL will be 128, since all machines on your same subnet (192.168.1.0/24) are all just 1 hop away. But, when you PING something far away, the TTL decreases. That is how it works.
Here, read the RFC that talks about TTL:
http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc3443.html

Collapse -

by mdjameer In reply to

Poster rated this answer.
thanx keep it up to help like me

Collapse -

A switch does not deduct from the TTL

by welcomeBeenie In reply to

Actually a switch does not deduct anything from the TTL. The TTL field is in the IP header, which makes switches unable to even read them. Switches are layer 2 devices.

Collapse -

by mdjameer In reply to what is TTL =128 OR 64 0R ...

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  

Operating Systems Forums