General discussion

• Creator
    Topic

What is your biggest desire as an IT professional?

by rstan251 ·

I often wonder why I am in the IT field. Is it money, the challenge or what?

I stumbled into IT because of my fascination with “gadgets” and specifically computers in the mid 90s.

I don’t know if I am as fascinated now. I thought my biggest desire was to make lots of money but it is not.

I think the thing I enjoy the most is solving problems (IT related and the bigger the better), helping people and being recognized (at least occasionally).

How about you?

All Comments

• Author
    Replies

Good question

by jkameleon ·

In reply to What is your biggest desire as an IT professional?

In my case, it was also fascination, money and challenge- a long time ago, back in the 80s.

Now.. come to think of it, why the hell am I still hanging around for? The best anwer I can think of is force of habit, and lack of better ideas about what to do with the rest of my life.

Honest response

by rstan251 ·

In reply to Good question

Great response. That sounds like honesty to me.

If we lack better ideas is it because we, as technical people, get stuck in our head, thinking, day-to-day?

Or, is it because we haven’t really thought about what we want to do?

Have you ever really tried to recapture that feeling of fascination or challenge?

I know exactly how you feel. I am trying to reinvent my career and feelings about IT as well.

-robert

I’m sorry, but I can’t help you with that

by jkameleon ·

In reply to Honest response

IMHE, once you get tired of something, there’s pretty much no way back.

Since I grew weary of IT, I don’t care about the nature of my work anymore, just about the money I get. That’s about as far as I came at reinventing my feelings about IT.

that sucks

by rstan251 ·

In reply to I’m sorry, but I can’t help you with that

Sorry to hear that. Hey, everyone has to make a living.

But, if you didn’t have to work and didn’t ever need money again, what would you do?

Hell, I don’t know

by jkameleon ·

In reply to that sucks

Mountain hiking, inventing miniature nuclear fusion reactor in my cellar, stuff like that.

re: Don’t know

by rstan251 ·

In reply to Hell, I don’t know

I like mountain hiking too but not really into playing with nuclear devices. 🙂

Nuclear fusion is pretty safe

by jkameleon ·

In reply to re: Don’t know

The big problem is how to get electricity out of it

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fusor
          http://www.fusor.net/

I got some ideas, pretty long shot, but worth a try- if I had time and money to spare. Besides, a dirt cheap team of top scientists is already working on it in Beijing for some multinational meta galactical global corporation, so… who gives a fuck.

That would be

by tony hopkinson ·

three jaw-droppingly attractive females, who are happy to discuss the merits of modular design in between bouts of extreme group sexual activity. (with me !)

I was going to ask to be allowed to do my job right more often than not, but goals should be achievable…..

:p

Attractive females

by rstan251 ·

In reply to That would be

Tony,

So, are you saying it is more likely that you would be able to participate in a “group activity” with females than actual do your job the right way?

I am curious, being a programmer, is taking shortcuts or going against best practice common?

I see this a lot when dealing with managers and executives. The “just get it done” mentality can cause us to implement solutions that might not be ideal.

– robert

Watergate mentality

by tony hopkinson ·

In reply to Attractive females

“No one suggested there shouldn’t be a bodge”.

It’s indeed the norm, unfortunately business does not and never has associated quality design or implemention with quality product.

After all if it ‘looks’ good enough….

Bit like my definition of attractive…. 😀

Tony…

by jellimonsta ·

In reply to Watergate mentality

Just remember;

If you hit your head on the mantelpiece, you are going to look up and see what you hit it on! :p ;\

Re: Watergate

by rstan251 ·

In reply to Watergate mentality

So true. 🙂

My biggest desire?

by jck ·

Sadly to say: get out of the profession.

I have done all that I can in IT, to be honest. Done everything from fixing PCs for my neighbors to writing blackbox apps.

If I stay in, I want to own my own business and fix/sell PCs. The programming aspect of it has lost its appealing nuances to me. I used to love to sit down and write code and discover how to make things happen that weren’t supposed to happen. But now, it seems like sitting down to write code is a hassel.

I’d also like to retire and go do more altruistic things, such as work at food pantries or soup kitchens or a charitable thrift store. I don’t see my impact on IT now having any relevant positive effect on society. I would like to do something that helps people more, rather than keeping some bureaucrat or executive happy.

Getting out of the business

by rstan251 ·

In reply to My biggest desire?

What I hear you saying is that IT is not “feeding your soul”.

I struggle with this myself and wonder if there is something I could do while in IT that might be fulfilling?

I hate to throw away all my knowledge.

I wonder if there is a way to achieve both?

I’m not sure

by jck ·

In reply to Getting out of the business

I love working on PCs. In fact, I’m about to do a little write-up on another website about hardware. Maybe that will lead to a career doing hardware reviews and let me do something I really enjoy.

But yeah, the software aspect of IT doesn’t feed my soul anymore. You’re spot on.

About write-ups

by rstan251 ·

In reply to I’m not sure

You know review sites like tomshardware.com make decent money from advertising. And, once they reach a certain status, the get free stuff sent to them for testing.

I tried to do that once. Didn’t workout because I ran out of stuff to test. I was limmited to what I had purchased.

Have you considered putting up a blog or something?

some hardware reviewers make very good dough

by forum surfer ·

In reply to About write-ups

Just check out anand’s home theater review for his own home theater.

http://www.anandtech.com/gadgets/showdoc.aspx?i=3301

On a side note, I love putting together new pc’s with the latest and greatest internals. I just built a budget gaming rig for a friend’s son. Core2Quad (no budget for i7), 8 gigs 1066 memory, 9800 gtx, 750gb hdd, a 550 watt power supply and a fairly decent 22″ lcd (tn panel unfortunately to save $$). It performs outstanding with Vista Ultimate 64, especially for a “budget” overclockable $822 (including 22″ monitor and shipping for all parts)gaming rig.

What I hate is handing ridiculously overpowered pc’s over to a customer that doesn’t realize how powerful his rig is and says he can’t tell a difference from before because his new internet isn’t faster. They still have expectations of faster web browsing no matter how many times you explain it doesn’t work that way.

yeah

by jck ·

In reply to some hardware reviewers make very good dough

I bet the guy who started Tom’s hardware guide isn’t poor either, since they sold out the Best of Media Group.

Maybe I can start one and sell it out to ABC/Disney. That would rock. lol

yeah

by jck ·

In reply to About write-ups

I’m thinking about putting up a website actually…kinda like a “ask Mr. Fix-it” or something.

I have been doing PCs (used to be called IBM compatibles lol) for around 25 years now since I was in high-school.

I just realized too. Christmas 2011 will be my 30th anniversary of getting my first computer.

Damn I’m getting old.

But, I might do a website/blog and try to drive it that way. I just hate to have a website with tons of ads on it. I know it’s annoying as hell to me, and I have dual broadband connections in my house.

Who knows tho. If I could make $8000 a month doing a website, I’d be a dang website running fool. :^0

website or blog

by rstan251 ·

In reply to yeah

I think you are right. Advertisements are annoying. You could start with a free blog on typpad or blogger…

… once you have enough people interested then you could start a “real” website…

Robert.

The challenge and variety

by jdclyde ·

while there are boring days, there are also a lot of days that are unique in the problems that come up.

The technology is always changing, so you are NEVER done learning.

I am re-sitting my cisco classes from a few years ago. The class number is the same, but the content has changed a great deal.

What is a Challenge?

by rstan251 ·

In reply to The challenge and variety

Interesting. So you like to stay challenged?

Do you like the feeling of accomplishment or the journey?

Personally, I like the “win” of completing something tough like a Cisco exam.

How do you

by boxfiddler ·

In reply to What is a Challenge?

separate the journey from the feeling?

yes

by jdclyde ·

In reply to What is a Challenge?

both. B-)

It is the greatest when a problem has been stumping someone else for a few daze, and you are able to find the solution for them. 😀

Of course, I am openly gracious, and would never treat them like they are dumb just because they didn’t know something.

Ok, every now and then, I pull out my “Nick Burns” impersonation…. ;\

Why am I here?

by jellimonsta ·

I stumbled into IT in 2000. I have always had an affinity for computers and other technology. However, I never really had a desire to work in IT.
      I am here because the work is interesting, fun, challenging, and the pay is better than a swift kick in the shorts. :p ;\

Is variety the answer?

by rstan251 ·

In reply to Why am I here?

Sounds like you enjoy the variety? I like the pay also 🙂 .

I like variety too but I also like to be “the expert” and if I go too broad it makes that desire tough to fulfill.

Being broad and varied has advantages. In essence you are an Enterprise Architect tying all the pieces together.

If you are doing it for the money, you’re doing it for the wrong reason

by forum surfer ·

I do what I like, and I love my job. I could make more money, but I went to great lengths to find a job that lets me work the hours I want without constant overtime. Of course there is still stress and overtime, but not to the point that it affects my health as did my previous job. I’m a much happier person and I feel so much more satisfied. Even my physical health improved. I even found time to spend 2 hours at the gym each day to counter-act the time I spend at a desk. Overall the pay cut was worth it. It paid off in spades in all other aspects of my life.

At this point, I’m glad I did take the time to look for a better job in my limited spare time while I was employed at my previous job. In today’s marketplace jobs are hard to find,let alone one you love.

Work LIfe Balance

by rstan251 ·

In reply to If you are doing it for the money, you’re doing it for the wrong reason

That is a great story. I did the same thing. I currently work 20 hrs a week. Now, when I am at work I have a better attitude and I put more energy into what I do.

I too spend more time working out. Very cool story!

I know what you mean brother

by forum surfer ·

In reply to Work LIfe Balance

Even before I started working out constantly, my friends and family pointed out that I looked much healthier and smiled more once I quit the stressful job.

Finances were a major problem at first, but I adjusted my lifestyle and moved forward. After awhile now my pay is almost back to where it was when I left and I am a much more likable person, except by people who are overstressed like I once was! Lol, now I’m one of those “intolerably happy” people I used to hate and I love every minute of it.

🙂

financing my own exploration

by neon samurai ·

The folks in the education field like the term “life long self guided learner” as most tend to become with a topic they thoroughly enjoy.

In short, I was born into an IT family, grew up in front of various machines and have most of my interest and skill set in the area. Working with information systems was a given from a very early age.

These days, my idea position is an admin or info sec desk working towards certifications in testing. This position second only to working for a value added reseller; it meant my computer parts came the next day at holesale pricing with whatever we had on order for customers. The current position is like a job written for my resume. The benchmark position remains in first place only because wholesale makes keeping my personal machines up to date much easier.

Besides, it was either computers or professional snowboarding and my lower joints are past the point of going pro. 😉

Snowboarding sounds good

by rstan251 ·

In reply to financing my own exploration

I like snowboarding but I suck at it. Being from the desert, it doesn’t provide much snowboarding opportunity.

So, to clarify what you said earlier, you want to be in information security? Or and admin of some sort?

It’s not about the money…

by jmgarvin ·

I like to solve problems and to have a “new” job every day. The downside to IT is the image that we do nothing (everything is working fine, so the IT guys must be doing nothing) and if something goes down it’s our fault (even if it was because the end user spilled coffee on their lappy)….

Re: about the money

by rstan251 ·

In reply to It’s not about the money…

So, you like the daily challenge and problem solving but don’t like the fact that you aren’t recognized for what is fixed?

Me too!

I think I get stuck working on issues sometimes and forget to advertise my accomplishments. Perhaps we need a way to advertise our awesomeness….

The challenge…and the sense of satisfaction

by nicknielsen ·

I like the challenges. No two days are alike and, for the most part, no two calls are the same. These and the sense of satisfaction I get from restoring the equipment to full operation keep me coming back.

IT Challenge

by rstan251 ·

In reply to The challenge…and the sense of satisfaction

Me too. I like to fix stuff. The bigger the problem the more fun it is to fix it.

Sometimes I might struggle and pull my hair out but when I finally fix it, it feels great.

Do you feel the same if you get a certification or complete a super cool tech course?

If it’s hands-on, yes

by nicknielsen ·

In reply to IT Challenge

Otherwise, it’s just another test.

I cheat

by santeewelding ·

I supplement with DHEA.

You are beginning to sound that young that you need not.

With you on that one…

by evertech108 ·

Hello to rstan251 and all,

You stated: “I think the thing I enjoy the most is solving problems (IT related and the bigger the better), helping people and being recognized (at least occasionally).”

Which is were my train of thought is now. I originally started in the IT field with the idea of changing careers and better pay.

I mean, money is good…but what good is it if you don’t enjoy your craft?

To think that way back when I was petrified of computers in general. My how times change! The best thing that may have happened to me, looking back, was being able to keep a close rapport with the technical department back at my first corporate job and them being patient with my many questions.

It was exactly that challenge of being able to “DO” something when problems arose and being able to solve many of them is what is rewarding about the IT field. And yes being able to communicate with all walks of life and trying to understand different perspectives toward technology is very alluring in a way.

Of course, the fact that one has more sophisticated toys to play with is part of the fun…LOL

Where I am and Where I want to be…. 2 moving Targets

by jpesadilla ·

Back when I was a kid, my uncle was a watch maker. I loved going to his shop and pulling apart old clocks to see how they worked.

That curiosity shifted to the electronics inside those clunky TRS 80s and Commodore 64s, where I found I had an aptitude for breaking things….and fixing what I broke.

I have been able to translate that inquisitive nature into an almost Guru like status with regards to diagnosis and repair.

As I became more seasoned in the IT world my goal(s) were to finally make it to management status. With the recent eceonomic downturn my goal(s) nowadays is to keep my job and worry about my career later.

About Clocks

by rstan251 ·

In reply to Where I am and Where I want to be…. 2 moving Targets

So, it sounds like you like fixing stuff or enjoy problem solving?

Is your biggest desire to become a manager or is that a goal?

– robert.

Looking to live in the daylight……

by jpesadilla ·

In reply to About Clocks

After working the past 15+ years in IT Operations my biggest goal is finally to be able to work and live in the sunlight.

Although it was novel at the beginning of my career, being known as the company “Ghost” or “Vampire” because I worked nights is getting a little long in the fangs.

I would like to get my work/life balance back to where I can actually socialize again.

So moving up to an administrator or management position seems the best way of doing that.

Learn everything I possibly can.

by wireeater ·

My biggest desire is to always love what I do, keep it fun and professional. There is nothing better being able to go to work, have fun and enjoy it while making money. I hope to learn as much as possible to the best of my ability to make sure I am able to resolve everyones problem. Helping the people are the main things that make me enjoy my job. It kind of makes you feel like a Super Hero of IT.

Viewing 12 reply threads