id="info"

Question

What version of Windows 2003 Server?

By keith ·
I am currently being quoted for replacing our systems with 2003 server.

One supplier says we should have 8GB of RAM. The other says that's fine but to access the full 8GB we would need 2003 server Enterprise addition and not standard.

Does anybody know if this is true?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Answers

Collapse -

Re:What version of Windows 2003 Server?

by bhaskar_js In reply to What version of Windows 2 ...

Standard Edition does not include all the features the generally Enterprise and Web Edition includes...But cost is less. I don't get it...Did u mean 8GB of RAM??or 8GB of Hard Disk Space??

Check the following link to know system requirement:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/windowsserver/evaluate/system-requirements.mspx#EIC

Regards
bhaskar

Collapse -

What version

before you chose a version you should ask youself some questions like:

how many cals do you need, sbs 2003 allow for i think around 70.

how big will the server load be, will you be having multiple telecomuters accessing resources, will your server be a host file server etc..

what is the server actually going to be used for, this could mean a higher spec machine (for example the hardware requirements for a standard w2k3 install hosting AD is a lot less then a w2k3 box running exchange server).

what hardware you will need for the server to run, this is determined by the above questions answer.

im not sure how big your business is but if you could survive with standard before, then i think that there is no point in moving to enterprise, id check out that link in the previous post, it has all the H/W specs.

Collapse -

System size

by keith In reply to What version

We are actually on Novell 4.2 at present. We don't want to move to enterprise, but we have been specked 8GB for the RAM. SBS is no use as we are running Exchange and SQL on different boxes and SBS doesn't allow us to do that.

If we need enterprise to access over the 4GB then we will drop the amount of RAM.

Collapse -

Win2003

by f.png In reply to What version of Windows 2 ...

Yes. It's true. Enterprise edition can support up to 8GB whereas standards can only support up to 4GB if I'm not wrong.

Cheers

Collapse -

...or 2k3 Datacenter Editition...

by sgt_shultz In reply to Win2003

here is a snippet from mskb that is worth reading the whole thing imho
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/283037/
Large memory support is available in Windows Server 2003 and in Windows 2000
<snip>
The following operating systems can use PAE to take advantage of physical memory beyond 4 GB:? Microsoft Windows 2000 Advanced Server
? Microsoft Windows 2000 Datacenter Server
? Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Enterprise Edition
? Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Datacenter Edition
To enable PAE, use the /PAE switch in the Boot.ini file.
<snip>

Collapse -

yes it's true

by kanishka In reply to What version of Windows 2 ...

yes it's true, u need winodws 2003 exterprice with PEA

Back to Networks Forum
7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  

Hardware Forums