General discussion

• Creator
    Topic

Who says Canadians are used to snow??

by aidemzo_adanac ·

Okay, a blanket statement there but more so for Vancouver specifically. We don’t get a lot of snow in Vancouver, maybe one or two snowfalls a year, usually a few inches. Today I had it proven to me that not ALL Canadians are used to driving in snow. We had our first fall last night, less than an inch in the city, about 3 where I live in the ‘burbs. You’d think it was Armageddon though! My normal drive in is 35 mins, today 1hr 25mins because people don’t seem to realize that snow is slippery and a Honda Civic or Toyota Camry is not a 4X4.

I spent a total of 36.23mins idling on my way to the office as people slid sideways up hills and skidded into oncoming traffic down hills. The worst part was just as I entered town, very little snow, roads a bit slushy. It was a dead stop in every direction because people here simply can’t drive. (I won’t resort to the cultural issues but that may mean something for many here anyway)

Tomorrow supposed to have more, though it’s sunny and clear right now. I live in a hilly suburb, the plows were late to the punch today though. I was in 4W High but still dragged arse for 40 minutes just to get on my way because you couldn’t move on my hill due to the number of unprepared yahoos who think a compact car with summer tires will get you up a hill with a few inches of fresh snow (well it will if you understand gear but we are talking our local city idiot drivers).

So in case anyone is wondering how Canadians put up with all the snow, we don’t ALL get snow and when we do, locals just have no idea what to do in it. I just hope it snows enough to keep them all at home tomorrow!!!

Okay that was that rant, wonder what will happen tomorrow.

All Comments

• Author
    Replies

I’m in Winterpeg, snow is no big deal

by slayer_ ·

In reply to Who says Canadians are used to snow??

bring it on, 6 feet of snow please 🙂

geesh Slayer_

by purpleskys ·

In reply to I’m in Winterpeg, snow is no big deal

you can have all my Nova Scotian snow too if you like.

Yeah yeah,

by aidemzo_adanac ·

In reply to I’m in Winterpeg, snow is no big deal

I lived in NS for a while too and they get their fair share of snow. Actually, it’s sunny and pretty warm again now, most of it melted and washed away. Supposed to get a few inches again tonight/tomorrow but then the rain will come as always and there will be no traces at all by Friday. Vancouver is a pretty awesome climate, rains a lot but you don’t have to shovel rain. 🙂

I always thought all of Canada was cold and snowy

by av . ·

I can’t believe good old NJ gets more snow than you guys. I always get a lot of snow where I live because I’m in the higher elevations, so I can definitely relate to hills. I’ve gotten pretty good over the years driving in snow, but most of the population here can’t drive on a normal day.

The flip side of yahoos in compact cars with summer tires are the yahoos with the SUVs that think they’re invincible in the snow. They are usually the ones that fly off the road into ditches because they’re going too fast.

We have no snow here – yet. I’m sure that will change soon.

AV

I hear that from Americans all the time.

by aidemzo_adanac ·

In reply to I always thought all of Canada was cold and snowy

Many still think we live in the wilderness in our igloos too, I’m sure. Last year I don’t even remember getting snow at all, maybe a flurry that didn’t get anywhere. BC interior gets SNOW!!!, the rest of Canada gets SNOW!!!! we get rain, a few cooler days and then it’s spring again. Shhhhh, Vancouver is Canada’s secret little corner paradise!

Last year I was sitting by the beach having a few beers with a friend and watching the sunset, seaplanes and windsurfers, with no jacket on, in mid December! I remember all the posts on TR about snow and photos of the US winter wonderland.
        Right now it’s 39F, 5C (sounds cold but I went to the store without a coat just now and it was really nice the with warm sun.)
        I always like to call the US the Great White South (see the twist there? 🙂 ) .

But Canada IS all snow and ice

by neilb@uk ·

In reply to I hear that from Americans all the time.

and polar bears and stuff. I’ve seen the David Attenborough programs and he doesn’t lie.

Polar Bears? In Canada?

by aidemzo_adanac ·

In reply to But Canada IS all snow and ice

Reminded me of Monty Pythons Meaning of Life. “A TIGER???? In Africa???”
          😀 Sorry,
          This is almost the view from my office: http://www.vancam.ca/
          Also : http://www.westinbayshore.com/cam/index.php

Yeah I know, it’s AWFUL isn’t it? LOL 😀 (Love the scenes here, every angle is a postcard). Without the clouds there is a mountainous backdrop behind the downtown buildings.

Or a nice view of the North Shore Mountains, which can be seen from almost anywhere in Van. http://www.jericho.ca/webcam/webcam.html

Okay, behind the big cloud there are mountains half white with snow, stunning to look at and the reason I keep telling myself it’s worth the money to live here. We pay through the nose to live in Van but it is so freakin’ scenic and beautiful (yeah it’s actually called Beautiful British Columbia too!) that it actually seems worth it.
          http://www.plateshack.com/y2k/British_Columbia/bcy2k.html

(okay I have the Olympic release plate and it says the The Best Place on Earth, but it is still Beautiful British Columbia). Funny thing is, I’d give it all up to be on Ventnor Beach, IOW in a heartbeat. I know I’d miss BC something bad ( I am into the recreational life here too) but i’d be where I feel at home, for real.

polar bears

by purpleskys ·

In reply to Polar Bears? In Canada?

I think they’re so cool http://www.canadapolarbears.com/ 🙂

Cool

by aidemzo_adanac ·

In reply to polar bears

I haven’t seen polar bears without CocaCola branding in a while!

I took my old Mum to IOW this summer for the day

by neilb@uk ·

It rained. But it was the worst summer since – whenever. It rained everywhere, all of the time.

We drove right around the island and had lunch in Ventnor from The Haven Fish and Chips (local caught pollock and chips, eaten in the car). Not cheap, though!

Yeah it’s the holiday makers

by aidemzo_adanac ·

In reply to I took my old Mum to IOW this summer for the day

They see holiday makers coming for miles, I think it’s the hankie tied on the head and the pant legs rolled up that tips them off.

Seriously though, summer is all they have, have to make what you can when you can. There’s nothing like a soft serve ice cream cone with the Cadbury Flake in it though…gadzooks I’ve got to open a stand out here! (even if just to satisfy my own cravings). I really missed the old Ventnor pier last time I was over though, it was the piers that really made the IOW seasides. I think Sandown pier is still there though, until funding ceases and it falls apart.

someone needs to

by purpleskys ·

In reply to Yeah it’s the holiday makers

open a shop that has decent East Coast donairs…i’ve been told ya can’t get a decent one past Quebec 😐

Okay, I’ll bite.

by charliespencer ·

What’s ‘Cadbury Flake’ and what are ‘donairs’?

Signed: “Severely South of the Border”

not sure about Cadbury Flake

by purpleskys ·

although it just sounds like Cadbury chocolate bars shaved into flakes. Donains on the other hand are pressed ground spiced hamburger wrappped in a flat bread wrap with sweet mayonaise (donair) sauce, chopped onions, tomatoes, and cheese, served hot after being baked in an oven. They seem to be an East Coast thing; I’ve got friends that have moved out west and can’t find a good donair at all. http://allrecipes.com/recipe/dashs-donair/

Cadbury’s flake

by neilb@uk ·

We have an ice cream called a ’99’. It consists of a biscuit cone with soft vanilla ice with a Cadbury chocolate flake pushed into it. Chocolate or raspberry sauce is optional, sprinkles is heresy. Last one I had was August, on Littlehampton beach after some fish and chips. More English than I can possibly describe…

The flake? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rk5wz_OLl1U

And, yes, I’m a tourist in Ventnor – although no hankie.

ok

by purpleskys ·

thanks Neil….that looks yummy, but then again, it’s chocolate, what could possibly be wrong? 😉

Donairs

by aidemzo_adanac ·

Donairs are slow cooked on a rotating spit. http://www.flickr.com/photos/woodhead/3935334227/lightbox/ They shave off slices and add it to a Pita, along with Tsatziki, tomatoes etc. It’s a Greel/Turkish dish, I’ve had ’em from both coasts and have to say there are some AWESOME donair shows out here, especially one in Richmond run by a Turkish family, best I’ve ever had!!

LOL, the donair got to me!

by aidemzo_adanac ·

After describing a donair and linking to a picture, I quickly went up the road to the local Donair shop an filled up. Damn those thing are HUUUGE, two hands and messy as hell (they must weigh 2-3 pounds easy) but DAMN what a lunch! Now I’m good for another year anyway. 🙂

I’ve made an American/Greek variation of a Donair

by av . ·

Seriously, I’ve never heard of a Donair before, but I make something similar at home. I use sliced sirloin steak instead of the spiced hamburger and put that on top of a pita with chopped tomatoes and red onion. Then I put Tzatziki sauce on that. Its very delish. Maybe not quite the same as a Donair, but super easy.

AV

That looks really good Neil

by av . ·

Now I’m craving one, but they don’t sell anything quite like that here. I can improvise though and even make my own raspberry sauce. YUM!

AV

AV

by aidemzo_adanac ·

That’s VERY close, of course the addition of good ole Grade A USA beef makes it very American too but it sure sounds yum. Good thing I’m full, I’d be running out for another…well maybe I could find SOME room left in the old one-pack stomache!

If the polar cap melts, them bears might take an interest.

by ansugisalas ·

Wonder how they’d manage in a more wooded climate. Stick out like a sore thumb of course, but they’d probably do OK eating seal clubbers ;D

That’s an interesting point

by aidemzo_adanac ·

In reply to If the polar cap melts, them bears might take an interest.

Recent documentaries on Canadian Bears around Hudsons Bay show them taking looong treks across dry land in their quest to hit open ocean, ice floes as they dwindle and break off far sooner than before. A few years ago it was the end of polar bears but now it seems they are adapting to life on land more. The bears will outlive us humans, we are weak and frail and rely on our comforts. Slight changes in atmospheric pressure as seasons change cause all kinds of flu bugs, bronchial issues etc. If there was an extreme weather change, we are done for, the rest of the planet’s species will mainly adapt.

If the polar cap melts,

by charliespencer ·

In reply to If the polar cap melts, them bears might take an interest.

then I don’t know where I’m going to put my father. I’ve been threatening him for years with the ‘Silver Floe Retirement Home’. 😀

LOL

by aidemzo_adanac ·

In reply to If the polar cap melts,

That’s great.
          “I thought you said I’d be staying with Floe?!”
          “No dad, I said ON a floe”
          🙂
          Cheers, I was looking for a giggle today.

Did you sell your igloo?

by av . ·

Vancouver sounds pretty nice to me. I don’t know if I’d fit in there, but I would sure like the weather.

AV

it’s a very big city

by purpleskys ·

In reply to Did you sell your igloo?

I was there once 9 yrs ago and didn’t like it at all…too big, too fast, and too expensive to live in. One of our nephews lives out there with his new wife (they’re both so sweet) and their little apartment is costing them a fortune and they’re both still students.

It’s not cheap

by aidemzo_adanac ·

In reply to it’s a very big city

Yes, people who decide to live in the city get it the worst. BC as a whole is insanely incredible though, I couldn’t care less about the city really, although I guess it is deemed one of the most beautiful (if there is such a thing). BC to me is the Interior (Okanagan Valley, or North to Kamloops, Vernon etc) the Island, Sunshine Coast (where it rains all the time) etc.
          The City of Vancouver is expensive as hell, unless you find the right deal in South Vancouver/Marpole etc (bordering the ‘burbs). I actually pay less for my place than a place half the size down the road, but that because I lived here a long time and managed to squeeze into the right deal when it came up.

Locals who have lived here a long time don’t live in Van city as much though, too many accessible suburbs that are so much more affordable and commutes are minimal, from the right spots.

Besides the UK, this is the only place I’d want to live.

P.S.

by aidemzo_adanac ·

In reply to Did you sell your igloo?

Everyone fits in Vancouver. There is no expectation of assimilation in Canada…’Be all that you can be…whomever that may be”.

Thats cool

by av . ·

In reply to P.S.

When you said “Be all that you can be” it reminded me of the US Army slogan that tries to get you to enlist.

I bet its a great city to visit, but I much prefer the country.

AV

That’s what I though of too

by aidemzo_adanac ·

In reply to Thats cool

I was thinking of the Army too, as I typed it. BC has some STUNNING country, absolutely jaw dropping places to be. Vancouver, as far as cities go, is pretty nice. Even the concrete Jungle (BLS reference) is a pretty one, lots of glass buildings and architecture. However, I see the city as the armpit of BC, thankfully most people here seem to prefer the city, immigrants that really don’t appreciate woods, lakes, wildlife, coastal towns etc. The BC interior, wine country, vast lakes, remote getaways everywhere etc. is some of the most beautiful scenery I have laid eyes one, keeping in mind I have toured the world more than once and had a chance to see a good chunk of it now.

But as they say, home is where the heart is. My comfort zone is either in the bush or on the coast, childhood memories, away from the city. Making BC ideal or me.
          I was 8 before I saw my first escalator! As for elevators, they were simply unheard of until I went to New York.

Army slogans

by charliespencer ·

In reply to That’s what I though of too

I still remember the occasion the 1st Sgt said he needed “Five of you ‘Armies of One’.”

Now you’re talking

by av . ·

Sounds like I would love the BC interior very much. I could live in wine country. I didn’t even realize BC had a wine country. I would think it would be too cold to grow grapes there and not a long enough growing season.

Definitely, theres no place like home, but it must have been fun to travel the world. New York too? Thats not my favorite city, but I’ve been there many times.

AV

NYC? Oh, heres a song for you

by av . ·

AV

Very Cool AV

by michael jay ·

Sting is always interesting, just wish I could hear what the lady is saying, the song says a lot by only saying a little.

I don’t know what she’s saying

by av . ·

I think she’s kind of criticizing him to keep up the standards of being a brit.

AV

Wine Country vs Fraser Valley – AV

by aidemzo_adanac ·

Okay, well I’m new to these forums so I’m not too sure how to keep conversations in line when max thread depth is reached but this is for AV.
          BC. Has a very hot valley called the Okanagan Valley. They are initially known for fruit, pickers come from Quebec every year to make a few bucks in the summer. One town is actually called Peachland for all the peach orchards. Some premium wines, that have won many awards worldwide come from the Okanagan Valley. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Okanagan_Valley_(wine_region)

The Fraser Valley (not wine country at all) is full of farms but they are corn, fruit, dairy etc. A great place to get ice cream in the summer too, fresh dairy cream made into ice cream on site!
          http://mimsmissives.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/fraser-valley.jpg

Aidemzo

by av . ·

Aidemzo, They both look beautiful. I’m surprised to read that the southern Okanagan Valley has cactus?! That so goes against my impressions of what Canada is like! The Fraser Valley looks like beautiful farm country. I could live there. It seems Canada has a much more diverse climate than I ever thought.

You’re doing just fine navigating the TR max thread depth – you’re just like an old pro! Hee Hee.

AV 😉

you would indeed love the BC interior

by purpleskys ·

In reply to Thats cool

we drove across country on our way to BC so we drove through the mountains; they are indeed stunning. Some of the rivers and waterways that run down the mountains are so clear and sometimes blue that it’s breathtaking. The Fraser Valley is full of farms and wineries as well, just gorgous. I had taken some pictures but for the life of me, I don’t know what I did with them.

“Vancouver is Canada’s secret little corner paradise!”

by charliespencer ·

Or would be, except for the Canadians…

😀

lol

by purpleskys ·

In reply to “Vancouver is Canada’s secret little corner paradise!”

:p

It’s not the Candians

by aidemzo_adanac ·

In reply to “Vancouver is Canada’s secret little corner paradise!”

It’s the imports and there are a LOOOOT of them!! In fact, in one of Vancouver’s suburbs (Richmond), English is the SECOND most commonly spoken language/native tongue.
          I’m an import myself, not a citizen, but it didn’t take long for me to learn to speak Canadian and I adapted to the culture pretty quickly, as stupid as it seemed at first.

Is it mostly French?

by av . ·

In reply to It’s not the Candians

Or can you get by with English? What the heck, I have Siri to help me out if I ever needed a translation.

AV

most of Canada is English

by purpleskys ·

In reply to Is it mostly French?

Quebec is French for the most part and there are some French Acadian towns in Nova Scotia and New Brunswick with some other communities around the country. Good thing too because my french is horrid. I’ve been to Quebec City and had to rely on my g/f to get us by (she studied more than I did). French is our second language and it is taught in our schools but I didn’t retain a lot from then. I can say some of the words if they’re in front of me, like to order a meal and such, but beyond that, yikes! 😉

I studied French in high school

by av . ·

In reply to most of Canada is English

I didn’t do very well with it, but I love how the language sounds. If I tried to learn it again, I’d probably do better with it now than I did back then.

I guess I take for granted that everyone speaks English everywhere.

AV

don’t feel bad

by purpleskys ·

I always figure someone should understand me when i’m blathering away in english, I tend to forget. Our country is so diverse, I should try to learn a few different languages; or at least enough to get by on. 😉

I studied french in high school as well and actually did quite well but opted out as soon as I was able to. Nowadays, they start teaching the kids french by grade 5 in the schools.

I think the earlier the better

by av . ·

I didn’t study French until I was 8 or 9 years old and I plain wasn’t interested. There was no one to speak French to where I live, so its kind of nonsensical to even teach it in the first place. French in NJ. Nah. We need to learn to speak English here properly first, LOL.

Where you live, its probably really valuable to know if you ever travel to places like Quebec. I’d love to go there one day. It looks awesome.

AV

Quebec City

by purpleskys ·

is very pretty. If you ever get the chance, check it out especially the old part of the city, it’s gorgous 🙂

edit to add: yes, i do agree, the earlier the better when it comes to learning 🙂

Parisienne French vs Frankophone

by aidemzo_adanac ·

When in the UK, of course they teach Parisienne French, French as spoken in Pais (which is the romantic, sexy French people usually think of and Pepe LePew swoons the odd skunk with).

Frakophone French (if that’s the correct term for French Canadian) is a much coarser sounding language. It’s a lot more throaty and full of hard consonants.

Many people in Paris will scowl at you in disgust for speaking French as a Canadian, many French Canadians do the same toward those who speak Parisienne French. The French are a touchy bunch, I don’t even try to speak to people in parts of Quebec City, English is deemed a bastard language too and even people who understand it will not reply in English. Montreal is more of a Cajun French (large Cajun population) spot though, people there speak many versions of French and most speak English well too.

Then there’s Acadian French…

by darryl~ ·

That’s what we get in this area….and it’s some sort of French with English blended in, very similar to the Cajun French….they really don’t like that over in France.

Acadian French

by aidemzo_adanac ·

There’s one nobody seems to like (Acadian French). I guess it’s like American English to UK English. Canadian fits somewhere in the middle, a lot of European spelling, but American English is commonly seen as the bastard tongue of English. I guess what we need to ask is, “what’s in a language?” LOL…EVERYTHING!

LOLOLOL!!!

by aidemzo_adanac ·

In reply to It’s not the Candians

French, NOBODY speaks French here, well I’m sure somebody does but it’s a rarity. Even in high school, people study Cantonese or Mandarin before French these days. No, French isn’t the language, in fact there was a time when people thought Indian/Pakistani/Urdu etc would take over but now its flat out Asian as in Chinese, Japanese, Korean etc.

You can get on a bus in Vancouver (no exaggeration at all here) and be the ONLY white, English speaking person on a full bus. In RIchmond we play a game called spot the white guy. drivers? nope, in the mall? nope, on the street? nope. You are one in a million (maybe more). I’m trying not to come across as prejudiced but seriously, it’s a reality, not a generalization.

i take it you refer

by purpleskys ·

In reply to LOLOLOL!!!

to just the BC/Vancouver area. The schools throughout Central and Eastern Canada teach French as a second language. Some still teach latin and german though.

I remember being down around East Hastings and seeing exactly what you’re talking about though. I think at the time, my husband, my brother, and myself were the only caucasian people in about a half mile radious.

Oh it’s taught

by aidemzo_adanac ·

In reply to i take it you refer

French is part of high school, for the time being anyway. But it’s only mandatory through grade 9 (maybe 10). For electives, nobody would bother taking French, it’s useless to anyone out here. May as well learn German or Swahili if you just want to learn a random language that doesn’t really impact hiring opportunities. French will help you get a job if your company does a lot of business back East (ok, not East but East of here anyway). I worked for a company based in Montreal, and my ability to order coffee or pizza in French was ample. Most people in Montreal are fine with English.

Work for a company in Vancouver, and Mandarin, Cantonese etc. is a huge bonus if its not your native tongue. I’m not exaggerating, most people out here are Asian now, even in Vancouver, on Vancouver island cities too (not the wilderness, Asians don’t seem to appreciate green space as most see it as an impractical waste of land that could house hundred or thousands in highrises).

I guess thats more the east coast of Canada

by av . ·

In reply to LOLOLOL!!!

I never realized there was such a large Asian population in BC. I looked on Wikipedia (and they know everything) and it said the Asian population was something like 29%. That has to be interesting.

Here in NJ we have enclaves of Asian communities in certain areas, but they never change the fact that we speak English here.

I think thats funny about being the only white guy on the bus. We have that here too, but its mostly black people and other people from somewhere that you can’t identify riding on the bus. I’m not prejudice either, but I never feel safe on a bus. I’ll drive myself, rent a car or I won’t go. I’m a woman, its a little different for me.

AV

a lot of Asians

by purpleskys ·

In reply to I guess thats more the east coast of Canada

were brought over in the 1800s as slave labour to help build railroads http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coolie

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Chinese_immigration_to_Canada

Richmond is a small place.

by aidemzo_adanac ·

Half of Richmond is still farmland (Ocean Spray cranberries) the rest is all surrounding the mall which dominates the city centre. In that tiny space, with a population of 190,000 people, 112,000 are Aisan. ‘They’ call it a “visible minority”, now I’m not sure what school of math ‘they’ went to but that certainly seems like a majority to me, please correct me if I am wrong in my math.

You have to understand that Richmond is a daily commute just across a bridge and 25 minutes from downtown Vancouver city centre. Richmond is separated from Van by a couple of normal sized bridges, it’s not somewhere you go for a long drive to visit on weekends, it’s just part of the Lower Mainland (which consists of all Van suburbs too).

Here’s the Wiki link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richmond,_British_Columbia

PurpleSkys

by aidemzo_adanac ·

That’s where the derogatory term C**nk is said to have originated too (though there are many counts of its origin). The ‘chink’ sound when they drove in railroad spikes. A foreman would yell down the tracks and say, “We need another ‘chinker’ up here”. They were seen as disposable and didn’t live long lives on the railroads.

The horse track, where I spend my life outside of work, is on the Pacific National Exhibition grounds. During the war, resident Asians were taken from their homes and sent to the Hastings internment camp as nobody was trusted; even those who had earned a living, ran a business and were Canadian citizens who owned their own homes. Their homes were taken away and they were sent to what can only be honestly deemed a POW camp. They now have a memorial, Japanese styled garden at Hastings Park called Momiji (meaning Maple) Gardens.

http://www.hastingspark.ca/park-tour/momiji-japanese-garden/

Well, the bell is ringing, time for recess now. 🙂

Why I will never live north of US Interstate 40.

by charliespencer ·

Or where the highway department owns plows. Or where the weatherman uses the phrase ‘lake effect’ other than in an academic context.

No lake effects here

by aidemzo_adanac ·

In reply to Why I will never live north of US Interstate 40.

No lakes big enough in Van, that’d be Eastern Canada (brrrrrrr) where the Great Lakes are. Of course it isn’t 69 degree South Carolina weather, but I had Christmas in Australia once and it really sucked, no snow, people go swimming not skiing etc. Santa doesn’t drive a dune buggy, who wants warm sunny days for Christmas?

Now for Christmas, just a bit, can keep the rest on the mountains and that’s Vancouver. Actually it’s a lot like England for me, a bit warmer and a lot sunnier though.

We have Vancouver Island breaking up inbound weather, half goes South to Seattle, USA, the rest Northern BC.

They keep saying there are plows in Vancouver but it’s like spotting BigFoot, except more people have said they’ve actually seen BigFoot (aka Squatchie). I live in New Westminster, a lot of hills so there are plows but only used a couple of days a year, at most, haven’t seen one this year but it seems they cleared streets last night because it was clear sailing to work today.

We were warned of a big snow dump for today (big snow dump being 5cm 🙂 ) but the drive to work was the fastest I’ve had in many months, everyone stayed home and took transit to work!

It’s gonna be a great commute home again, maybe I’ll have time for some Christmas shopping ! Tee-Hee-Hee …ahem, sorry HO, HO, HOOOO!!!!

actually

by purpleskys ·

In reply to No lake effects here

that would be Central Canada. I live in Eastern Canada and it is comprised of Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island, and Newfoundland (and according to some maps, bits and pieces of Quebec). We don’t get lake effect snow here, but we can get some nasty storms coming up the Bay of Fundy. Sometimes a storm will go either around us because of the mountains or hang over us for the same reason.

Big Foot aka sasquatch http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bigfoot squatchie is something else from what I see when I look it up. I love the Sasquatch stories, I’ve been watching them since I was a kid; it was a big deal 35 yrs ago or so 😉

RE: Central Canada…

by darryl~ ·

In reply to actually

Yeah, I was going to comment on that also….the closest we’d get to lake effect snow would be a good nor’easter…sort of like White Juan 😀

The Gulf Stream keeps the East coast of Canada nice & mild for most of the winter.

you call

by purpleskys ·

In reply to RE: Central Canada…

-20C mild? hmmm…. 😉 I just like picking on you a little, you know me, anything below 20C is cold to me. And Juan was just downright nasty, no need of that much snow…yeesh!

I likely wouldn’t have bothered but “squatchie” got me and I had to say something; can’t comment on one without commenting on the other.

We might get a couple weeks of -20

by darryl~ ·

In reply to you call

but for the most part we hover around -5 or so….I think we only shoveled the driveway twice last year….maybe 3 times….now 2004 & 2005 was a whole different story. 🙂
          Environment Canada is actually predicting more snow for Vancouver today than for Truro….and we’re the ones with the schools closed.

really though

by purpleskys ·

In reply to We might get a couple weeks of -20

seemed kinda silly to me by about 10am. I didn’t have any problem getting the big girl to work this morning, I think she was even on time.

I do wish we would get a little bit to cover everything so it would be pretty for Christmas, but it’s not looking good 🙁

Sure now its nice

by aidemzo_adanac ·

I lived there in ’77, came from a rainy place where I’d seen a flurry ONCE, nothing stuck. Got off in Toronto, SNOW! Got to Truro MORE SNOW ! Two winters in Sydney, TOO MUCH SNOW! Actually was fun because I was a kid but was too short and it was over my head. Learned to bumper ski to school on the back of the plow though (could you even imagine a kid doing that these days!? ) People would be calling child welfare to complain about the parents irresponsibility.

i’ve been in Nova Scotia

by purpleskys ·

all my life. Spent the first 19 yrs in New Glasgow and the remaining 27 in Truro. I remember snow, what we get these days doesn’t even compare. I grew up in the mountains outside of New Glasgow so when it snowed, we were snowed in for days at a time.

And you’re right, if we let our kids do half the things we did as kids, child services would indeed be all over our tails.

Lake effect snow

by aidemzo_adanac ·

In reply to RE: Central Canada…

The closest we get is I had to Google it. Never heard of lake effect snow on the news here. I try not to pay attention to Eastern weather reports, just more of the same. Either too hot or too cold, just like the three bears’ porridge.

We don’t get lake effect snows

by av . ·

In reply to Lake effect snow

We get Nor’easters and they are not pleasant, unless you like snow. Still, its fun sometimes to get snowed in and just light a fire and snuggle and say the heck with it all. There is nothing more beautiful than the crystalline, delicate sound of falling snow.

If I lived in a place with no snow, I’d probably miss it.

AV

“There is nothing more beautiful …”

by charliespencer ·

In reply to We don’t get lake effect snows

Right up until the power fails.

I’ve lived in places with plenty of that white sh- …; uh, stuff. In general I don’t miss it for squat, and in particular I don’t miss the temperatures that are its prerequisite.

me too AV

by purpleskys ·

even though i kinda complain about it, i’m not liking the thought of having a green Christmas this year…Sarah’s even more not happy

Geez, Palmy

by av . ·

I mean snow where the power doesn’t go out. A good snow storm is an excuse to take a break, stay home, build a snowman, light a fire and eat comfort food. Its cuddle weather.

Thats kinda nice sometimes, not all the time. I know you like the warm weather down south, but Christmas is just so nice if theres a little snow and cold weather. I can’t picture tee shirts and barbeques.

Av

PS,

by charliespencer ·

Power outages are more likely here. A large percentage of the trees are tall evergreens with relatively weak wood. The snow collects on their clumps of needles more than it does on leafless deciduous trees. The limbs can’t hold the additional weight, and they come down across the power lines.

I was Christmas shopping in shorts and a T-shirt last weekend. Delightful. I didn’t have to keep up with a coat.

It’s a phobia from my ‘Yooper’ childhood.

by charliespencer ·

In reply to Lake effect snow

“Make Superior the 51st State!”

You live in the Maritimes!

by aidemzo_adanac ·

In reply to actually

Maritimes is still part of Canada, I don’t know why you would all be so kind as to be voluntarily Canadian but I digress, Eastern Canada, to someone in Vancouver, is Ontario – East. BC Alberta being west and Sask and Man being central. The crappy provinces between Manitoba and the Maritimes just get lumped in with you lot, sorry for that!

Maritimes, Atlantic Provinces

by purpleskys ·

In reply to You live in the Maritimes!

either or…but Eastern…I googled a map to double check 😉

So Eastern US is

by darryl~ ·

In reply to You live in the Maritimes!

Michigan – East? I think I would have to disagree….but like you said, to someone in Vancouver.

As you noted, it’s relative.

by charliespencer ·

In reply to So Eastern US is

One definition of ‘eastern US’ uses the Mississippi River as the dividing line. Another uses the Eastern time zone. Another defines it as the Atlantic coastal states.

‘East’ is anywhere east of where you are 🙂

Yeah, that’s the way I’ve always looked at it….

by darryl~ ·

In reply to As you noted, it’s relative.

Canada has 2 more time zones east of Ontario, so to me, that makes them more “central”.

The plows here in Calgary

by ouritlady ·

In reply to No lake effects here

are almost as rare as BigFoot as well. Last few snow falls we’ve had have taken over 24 hours to get under control, the city claim their plowing 24/7 but we’ve still been skiing up the primary routes, the 3 way stop by my house is lucky if it gets cleared in less than a week after the snow. After any snowfall my commute time usually goes from around 40 minutes to two hours, on a summer weekend it takes me 15 minutes.

I confess I’m also an import, have to wonder why you decided on somewhere with weather so close to the UK (sounds like that was home at one point?), half the reason I chose Alberta was it gets almost no rain – heavenly!

Location location location

by aidemzo_adanac ·

In reply to The plows here in Calgary

I moved here with the parents, we had lived in North Van briefly before returning to UK for a few years, then back out here again. My dad was an extremely talented boat builder, machinist, civil an marine engineer etc. You name it, he was a licenced tradesman at it.

I spent some time in BC interior, LOVED it but too hot in summer, too cold in winter. Rain does’t phase me at all though, that’s why BC is so bleeding gorgeous, rain makes everything grow and stay as green as jade.

I am a HUGE backwoods camper and I thrive for the seaside too, I’d say I’m in the perfect spot for my recreational life (not too many oceans in Alberta). However, I can’t knock Alberta at all, not in any way shape or form! If there was ANY place in Canada I’d live other than BC, it would be Alberta….well okay you tie with Nova Scotia (nothing beats the people there and I love Maritime life too). Anyone who visits the Maritimes can forget everything except how incredible the people are.

Other than living here:
          UK first pick, Alberta or NS second. US doesn’t even make an honorable mention (sorry everyone but most of you know how I feel about the US, not the people but the country, government control etc)

This looks fun….a nor’easter tonight & tomorrow….

by darryl~ ·

Environment Canada’s Official Weather Warnings

Warnings
      Colchester County – Truro and south
      3:42 PM AST Saturday 29 December 2012
      Blizzard warning for
      Colchester County – Truro and south changed from Winter storm warning

Heavy snowfall and strong winds will give white out conditions on Sunday.

This is a warning that blizzard conditions with near-zero visibilities are expected or occurring in these regions. Monitor weather conditions..listen for updated statements.

A low pressure system near Cape Hatteras will intensify as it approaches Nova Scotia tonight and Sunday. This storm will bring a large swath of heavy snow to Nova Scotia along with blowing snow in strong northerly winds. Over Western Nova Scotia and the valley, white out conditions can be expected. 20 to 40 centimetres of snow is forecast for most of Nova Scotia with the exception of Eastern Nova Scotia which is forecast to change over to rain for several hours on Sunday before changing back to snow. In Eastern Nova Scotia wind gusts of up to 90 km/hour are forecast. In addition higher than normal water levels with rough pounding surf due to high waves are expected along the Atlantic coast Sunday morning. Storm surge warnings are in effect over Northern Nova Scotia for Antigonish County and the Cape Breton coasts along the Gulf of St Lawrence. High water levels and rough pounding surf due to high waves are expected late Sunday afternoon and in the evening.

A Les Suetes wind warning is in effect for Inverness County – Mabou and north with gust to 90 km/h beginning Sunday morning and ending in the evening.

Sounds interesting, not exactly in a good way

by michael jay ·

In reply to This looks fun….a nor’easter tonight & tomorrow….

stay safe and stay warm.

we figure we should be ok

by purpleskys ·

In reply to Sounds interesting, not exactly in a good way

took our camping supplies in from the shed, have extra water on hand and propane for the bbq, plus i made sure we have lots of milk and bread and whatnot for a couple days. We’ll get some wind and lots of snow, but not likely storm surge, that’s more the Northern and Eastern parts of the province. We’re hunkering down for sure and we;ll stay safe 🙂 thanks MJ

What is it that they say?

by michael jay ·

In reply to we figure we should be ok

Whether the weather be hot, or whether the weather be not, whatever the weather we’ll whether the weather, whether we like it or not.

Did I get that right?

yes indeed

by purpleskys ·

In reply to What is it that they say?

😉 i haven’t heard that one in a while 🙂

We got the storm here in NJ

by av . ·

In reply to This looks fun….a nor’easter tonight & tomorrow….

It dumped about 5 inches and was pretty much benign in the end. Still, its really cold here and during the storm it was pretty bad. Thankfully, its a Saturday when people aren’t on the roads. Hope it isn’t bad for you up in Canada. It looks like it will be worse than what we got.

Stay safe, stay inside.

AV

Will do

by purpleskys ·

In reply to We got the storm here in NJ

We’re ready either way now…my oldest daughter is out this evening but knows to stay put if it gets too bad out. Plus she’s only a couple miles away from home.

Looks like you’re in for a lot of snow

by av . ·

In reply to Will do

Blizzard today maybe?

AV

it really didn’t turn into much

by purpleskys ·

In reply to Looks like you’re in for a lot of snow

the snow has pretty much let up now, just a few flurries hanging about. It’s still pretty windy though and supposed to stay that way up to tomorrow night as well….and flurry. Overall, I think that’ll pretty much blow over at this point too. 🙂

Oh thats good

by av . ·

In reply to it really didn’t turn into much

Some snow is pretty, but too much and its a big inconvenience. We have the wind after the storm and that makes it feel like 20 degrees F here. At least you won’t have to worry about bad weather for New Years.

AV

I was asking Purple if she saw anything from you today……

by darryl~ ·

In reply to We got the storm here in NJ

I saw it was moving through your area as it was building towards us…..I don;t think it will be as bad as all the “hype” but they have to make sure people are prepared,,,,us Nova Scotians tend to get a little “slack” when it comes to listening to warnings….storms tend to aim for us then blow off the coast at the last minute,

Viewing 3 reply threads