General discussion

• Creator
    Topic

Why does TechRepublic Spam, large amounts of unsolicited emails

by gaza ·

Is TechRepublic spamming you too
    TechRepublic is sending me emails all the time, are they spamming you too?

I have not asked for emails.
    I have not ticked the box send me emails.
    I do not want emails.

I tried to have this stop but they do not listen!

So now I have a team of people ready to teach TechRepublic a lesson.
    TechRepublic, you are going down!

They have set them self?s up to ignore us so rather than email them I ask people to spam there forum through both the Discussion and Questions Section.

Don?t forget to include some good tags so others can find your comments and support you!

Cheers

All Comments

• Author
    Replies

What have you tried to get it to stop?

by ontheropes ·

In reply to Why does TechRepublic Spam, large amounts of unsolicited emails

The following several times but now my patience has ended

by gaza ·

In reply to What have you tried to get it to stop?

Please be sure to select Membership and Registration Inquiry as your product and topic. Include the email address you registered with and your user name.

Please cancel membership, newsletter subscriptions and all other forms of email contact, please also remove all my details including email contact from your system.

Any spam or contact what so ever and I will test my legal team to teach you a lesson with my new found wealth!

My user Name is gaza and Email is XXXXXXXX if you need this detail to proceeded.

The reference number for your question is ‘090218-000350’.

Do you think thay will do the right thing this time OnTheRopes

Cheers and thanks for you interest

Per your request…

by Tammy.Cavadias ·

In reply to The following several times but now my patience has ended

I have taken the liberty to have your account canceled.

Per a previous post – http://techrepublic.com.com/5208-23-0.html?forumID=101&threadID=302138&messageID=3018214

I have also unsubscribed you from both the Newsletters in which you had subscribed yourself to.

-Tammy

Buh-bye.

by charliespencer ·

In reply to Per your request…

:-0

Darn. I miss him already. (nt)

by ontheropes ·

Don’t let the door hit ya where the good lord split ya…

by jmgarvin ·

I mean honestly, this is an IT site, take that scam elsewhere.

And you, jamgarvin, take that scam

by santeewelding ·

In reply to Don’t let the door hit ya where the good lord split ya…

Of the “good lord” lowercase elsewhere.

I will entertain you, otherwise.

Snap

by gsg ·

You tell ’em, woman!

I think we need a basic intelligence test before anyone’s membership is granted. It’s not hard to figure out how to subscribe/unsubscribe, and I know we have new members that are able to do this.

We also need an @$$hole test, apparently.

Quick solution

by oz_media ·

In reply to The following several times but now my patience has ended

try this, works every time!

Make a pretend gun out of your left hand by curling your fingers in and pointing your index finger forward and your thumb up.

Lay your ‘gun’ flat on the table still with your thumb and index finger stretched out.

Lift your hand straight back against your forehead and go look in a mirror.

You had a valid concern/complaint, it would have been listened to, understood and you would have found help and support if there was such a problem. TR does not purposely screw with people, its not their style they don’t need to spam due to the many thousands of subscribers they have.

So when you rant and rave like a child and then post complete garbage like : “Any spam or contact what so ever and I will test my legal team to teach you a lesson with my new found wealth!”

Nobody will take you seriously, in fact, understanding law myself, I would have taken you to task myself and asked you to follow through with your baseless threats.

Your legal TEAM? Your new found WEALTH?

What a tosser, go back to school, recess must surely be over by now.

Hey now Oz

by magic8ball ·

In reply to Quick solution

He replied to any number of princes from Lagos and now is waiting for his share of the millions. Of course he had to pay some lawyer fees and bribe a few customs officials, but hey the money IS on its way.

ha-ha

Nothing quite like

by boxfiddler ·

In reply to What have you tried to get it to stop?

the wrath of scum. 😀

Yeah, we heard you the first time.

by charliespencer ·

http://techrepublic.com.com/5208-6230-0.html?forumID=102&threadID=302135&start=0

“They have set them self’s up to ignore us…”

Us? What’s this ‘us’ you’re talking about? Nobody else has any trouble getting the staff’s attention.

“So now I have a team of people…”

Better hurry up; the last bus will be here soon and teacher’s gonna close the computer lab.

Scummy!!!

by charliespencer ·

Now gaza’s going to think we don’t like him.

Oh, wait…

Only if you did not like me!

by gaza ·

In reply to Scummy!!!

I am friendly; just do not like incompetence and at times 30 emails a day from TechRepublic.

Sure you are all people just like me

Regard gaza

And then there was one.

by charliespencer ·

In reply to Only if you did not like me!

All your other posts are gone. If you hurry, you can get the last word.

Yeah, I’ve been incredibly immature about this; been that kind of day.

30 emails a day?

by seanferd ·

In reply to Only if you did not like me!

You signed up for hourly alerts on threads you were reading, didn’t you?

Well done ! sounds like

by oz_media ·

In reply to 30 emails a day?

Someone subscribed to a thread, not realizing that being sent notification meant being sent notifications. That makes a lot more sense, self inflicted as usual.

TAMMY — WAIT!!!

by the scummy one ·

We need to keep this thing around a bit longer. Do you see that blood vessel in it’s head that is about to burst from anger? I wanna see it go actually!!!

So PLEASE let us piss off this loser a bit more.

Sorry Scummy…

by Tammy.Cavadias ·

In reply to TAMMY — WAIT!!!

..just trying to follow the request of this member – by following what they have requested.

I have graciously taken their requests and done what they have so graciously asked of me.

-Tammy 🙂

Darn —

by the scummy one ·

In reply to Sorry Scummy…

I wanted to watch the blood shoot accross the room due to pressure issues 🙁 — now I gotta find some other destruction to make my day happy 🙁

My schedule unexpectedly changed tonight.

by santeewelding ·

In reply to Darn —

May I be of service?

Wicked

by boxfiddler ·

In reply to My schedule unexpectedly changed tonight.

imaginings.
          Stirred, no doubt, in the dark side.

:^0 — only if

by w2ktechman ·

In reply to My schedule unexpectedly changed tonight.

I saw this last night….
          I had to suffer the agony of a non-destructive day of getting things done 🙁 🙁

Oh well, the future looks ripe for plenty more 🙂

That’s the way to handle Tammy

by rob mekel ·

In reply to Sorry Scummy…

Be polite … listen to the chat (oops read quietly) act upon what they ask and go on with the more happy site (oops) side of the business.

Way to go Tammy 🙂

Well, that can be constued as a threat

by seanferd ·

which may have consequences for you.

http://techrepublic.com.com/5208-6230-0.html?forumID=102&threadID=301864&messageID=3015771

Some people have no problem canceling subscriptions to newsletters and alerts. I certainly don’t. Even the new member who wrote the post at the link above did not. Others seem quite incapable of managing their subscriptions, however.

Prolly

by boxfiddler ·

In reply to Well, that can be constued as a threat

’cause they don’t know 2+2=3.

Yesterday, I pointed out

by w2ktechman ·

In reply to Well, that can be constued as a threat

several ways to fix the issue, including contacting Tammy. However that thread was pulled.
        So, I started in another — alas — that one was pulled too 🙁
        I dont know why when I give advice to dumba$$es, the threads end up being pulled — it’s a CONSPIRACY… I doubt it has anything to do with choice of words, insults, or instructions on offing oneself due to being brain dead, personal attacks, or the like.

Somebody

by boxfiddler ·

In reply to Yesterday, I pointed out

-not saying who- used the red phone.

Damned JD!!!

by the scummy one ·

In reply to Somebody

wait, JD has the red button…… Who has the red phone?

Conspiracy?

by charliespencer ·

In reply to Yesterday, I pointed out

If there was any conspiracy, it was boxy and I smacking the spam button every time gaza started a new discussion. Every one was flagged as spam before you got to them. Hence, they disappeared, excluding this one for the reasons Tammy outlined below.

Hey Stop That!!!

by the scummy one ·

In reply to Conspiracy?

I just wanted to rant about the Scummy Conspiracy — let it go ma’an, leave me to my delusions :^0 :^0

To be honest, the post was just filled with sarcasm, surprised you didnt notice actually.

The word

by jdclyde ·

assclown, comes to mind after reading your post.

Are you dumb, or just stupid?

I vote both

by shellbot ·

In reply to The word

I’m still laughing that he asked US to spam TR!!

don’t suppose he peered anyone..if we had his addy could really show him spam 🙂

Hopefully included in yer ‘team of people’, you’ve got …

by older mycroft ·

An ENGLISH teacher!!!

First rule of Text-Based Public Noticeboard-Type Forums:

Lern too sppel propurrly. 😉

Hey drama king …

by jasonhiner ·

Click the MyNewsletters link in the upper right-hand corner of TechRepublic and then go to the bottom the page, check “Unsubscribe from all TechRepublic newsletters” and click the “Update my account” button.

There’s also an unsubscribe link at the bottom of every newsletter that TechRepublic sends.

I’ve got to say it Jason, it didn’t work for me.

by ontheropes ·

In reply to Hey drama king …

I don’t know as drama King had tried it but I have. I had to forward a TR email that I kept getting no matter that I followed the unsubscribe procedure. Hopefully Tammy can work her magio so that I don’t continue getting the unwanted newletter.

I also know that when I clicked to unsubcribe to all newsletters it deleted all of my discussion email alerts too. Seems to me email alerts should be separate from newletters so I wasn’t expecting that to happen. It would be nice if there was a warning that you lose everything, even discussion email alerts. Would’ve been even nicer if the unsubscribe procedure had worked and unsubscribed me from the one newletter, like it should have done.

The alerts are separate…

by Tammy.Cavadias ·

In reply to I’ve got to say it Jason, it didn’t work for me.

so not sure why it deleted all the alerts (though these are currently broken – again, and we do have a bug report open for it)

And as mentioned in peermail – I’ve gotten you off that Newsletter.

-Tammy 🙂

Found out why your subscriptions went poof…

by Tammy.Cavadias ·

In reply to The alerts are separate…

… or at least what is believed to have happened…

Did you by chance click on this (I didn’t link the Click here part for a reason): If you do not want TechRepublic to send you any more commercial e-mail messages, please “click here”, and you will be unsubscribed from any future mailings.

As that link is our global unsubscribe and it does unsubscribe you from everything versus just the newsletter. (It’s located at the very bottom of the subscription center)

-Tammy

Yeah, that’s what I did.

by ontheropes ·

In reply to Found out why your subscriptions went poof…

What a dope, huh? You can’t say that I didn’t try everything to stop receiving that newsletter. Pity it didn’t work.

I do thank you for getting me off of the email list. Your efforts are greatly appreciated.

I got on the email list when I had to re-enter my information after the site upgrade, just so that I could log back in. I forgot to uncheck the ‘send me email’ boxes along about the 4th or 5th time that I tried to log in. I kept getting 404’d before I could finally log in.

There wasn’t any activity on the discussions I was subscribed to, except for TRGC 5, so no harm done. I can live with it.

Now I know to tell people not to hit the global unsubscribe button unless they’re serious. I’ll also tell them to send you an email after the global unsubscribe button doesn’t work. :0

Nah.. I learned something…

by Tammy.Cavadias ·

In reply to Yeah, that’s what I did.

I knew we had a global unsubscribe.. what I didn’t know was that it also included the discussions alerts – but now I do 😀

-Tammy

One instance where it might not work …

by jasonhiner ·

In reply to I’ve got to say it Jason, it didn’t work for me.

The problem is if you have multiple accounts and are signed up for newsletters on each one. Then you have to go in on each account and do the unsubscribe routine on each one.

Sometimes people forget that they have older accounts or they don’t remember the passwords on those accounts. That’s where people sometimes run into a situation where they “unsubscribe all” and still get email from us.

That makes perfect sense.

by ontheropes ·

In reply to One instance where it might not work …

In this case I know what I did to suddenly start receiving newsletters. It was my fault, after the upgrade. I just filtered that newsletter to my Trash folder but then I saw Tammy suggest to one person that they send her the email and she could unsubscribe them so I thought I’d do that. Apparently it worked as that mailing went out this morning, according to Tammy, and I didn’t get it. All in all it was nothing but a glitch in the Matrix and I learned something too.

That’s one of the reasons…

by Tammy.Cavadias ·

In reply to That makes perfect sense.

I ask for the perrmail and the full headers – so I can check to see what addy the newsletter is being sent to – which may be different.

It happens sometimes with redirects or if say your ISP uses a simple form for the email addy but its actually something longer (ie. tammy.cavadias@myisp.com is my addy but the actual email is tammy.cavadias247696754734@myisp.com – what we might have for you is the longer email and not the shorter version)

-Tammy

m-m-m

by santeewelding ·

In reply to That makes perfect sense.

“Matrix”. Matrix Mother. Mother of the Matrix. Matrix Mom. Mommy Matrix. Matrix Mommy.

Yeah. Let me think some more, Tammy.

Not necessarily older accounts, Jason

by nicknielsen ·

In reply to One instance where it might not work …

I used a different email over on ZDNet than I did on TR. Then they merged the membership databases…

Drama “Queen” instead of King.. ha ha

by theswabbie ·

In reply to Hey drama king …

Good one… You should have said “Queen” just to aggravate him/her/whatever. You’re too nice.

LOL

Because of his position

by jdclyde ·

In reply to Drama “Queen” instead of King.. ha ha

He is not allowed to say what he REALLY thinks about our little queenie, so it is left to the rest of us to do it for him. 😀

Yea

by theswabbie ·

In reply to Because of his position

Yea, youre right. He cant unload like we can…

Dont worry J ~ we got your back 🙂

LOL

by jasonhiner ·

In reply to Yea

🙂

The similar threat you posted yesterday was yanked

by maxwell edison ·

I wonder why this one’s still here?

Jaqi and I posted to it yesterday, but by afternoon the whole thread was gone. It didn’t even appear in my workspace as something I posted to.

There were like 6 of them

by w2ktechman ·

In reply to The similar threat you posted yesterday was yanked

and Tammy left a couple. All of the ones Scummy posted to were yanked. Of course, insults, personal attacks, and foul language were probably reasons for it as well.
        Heck, even Palmetto asked me Scummy to stop :0 , well, Palmetto had other reasons for it (a fun issue).

My

by boxfiddler ·

In reply to There were like 6 of them

eighty hundred quadrillion gazillion anticipatory points went with them. 🙁

Uh huh….

by Tammy.Cavadias ·

In reply to My

<~~ Has copies, so points remain :D -Tammy :-)

Not Exactly

by the scummy one ·

In reply to Uh huh….

Boxy was hoping )and planning) to hit the SPAM button a few thousand more times yesterday, however, the account was killed so Boxy didnt get the gobs of more points.

Edit: — since you have copies, can you send me my responses so that I can post them again (to be viewed by all) :^0

Oops — or were some of them near or over the top? ?:|

In that case…

by Tammy.Cavadias ·

In reply to Not Exactly

I’ll add an extra 1 million to Boxy’s point total to make up for it 😀

And no you can’t have copies.. I only keep copies of the OP (should they come back and state it was a wrongful removal – I have it) But don’t despair – I’m sure there will be many more chances tonight 😉

-Tammy 🙂

Thank you Tammy. :D

by boxfiddler ·

In reply to Uh huh….

You get my vote.

I suspect this one is still here

by charliespencer ·

because it includes Tammy’s acknowledgement that she’s fulfilling his requests:

http://techrepublic.com.com/5208-1035-0.html?forumID=102&threadID=302137&messageID=3018241

Just in case Wonder Boy visits the site.

It’s still here for a reason…

by Tammy.Cavadias ·

..since I responded in both of them (there is actually 2 left up) – I wanted to show we weren’t ignoring him as claimed and did take care of his requests.

I tried to transport you over here but afraid “Scotty” was sleeping 😉

-Tammy 🙂

By the way – This link will give you tips on how to bring down a Web Site

by maxwell edison ·

Dammit, I bit on that one!

by charliespencer ·

In reply to By the way – This link will give you tips on how to bring down a Web Site

TR’s own little answer to Rick Astley.

:D oh yeaaaa

by rob mekel ·

In reply to Dammit, I bit on that one!

Maxwell is known for that one … alltho … the tiny url is a new one 😉

I should know better.

by charliespencer ·

In reply to :D oh yeaaaa

I haven’t made that mistake in months. I’m going to b!tch slap myself for it; helmetless, too.

Stop. Wait.

by boxfiddler ·

In reply to I should know better.

Allow me?

You go, girl.

by charliespencer ·

In reply to Stop. Wait.

That way, at least one of us will enjoy the process.

“Oh, Gomez, don’t torture yourself; let me do it” – Morticia Adams.

Gotta love

by boxfiddler ·

In reply to You go, girl.

that Addams Family. 😀

I dont feel so dumb now

by theswabbie ·

In reply to Dammit, I bit on that one!

Ha ha … I did too.. you can see the teeth marks in it I bit so hard… LOL

yeah

by jdclyde ·

In reply to I dont feel so dumb now

nothing makes you feel better about yourself than to see others just as “dumb”… 😀

yeah, that is known as “The Link”. ;\

Speaking of dumb

by maxwell edison ·

In reply to I dont feel so dumb now

On the rare occasion when I do post it, I’ve even forgotten to turn off my own speakers once or twice! Ouch!

And as jd correctly pointed out, we humorously refer to this as [i]the link[/i]. It’s used for emphasis to a targeted, unsuspecting person, and for laughs for the regulars who mostly know what’s coming.

Darn…

by gsg ·

In reply to By the way – This link will give you tips on how to bring down a Web Site

Barracuda blocked it. I’ll have to remember to jump on tonight at home.

The internet safety police (across the hall from me) are interfering with my fun… uh, work. Yeah, work, that’s it..

WTF? Are you a Troll?

by theswabbie ·

You, a Graphic Artist want US to go against TR because you think you are getting spammed? Why would you even say something so stupid unless you wanted a reaction from us?

If you dont want emails from TR – have them delete your account… I promise we won’t be mad if you do….

Dont go away Angry or Mad ~ Just, go, Away…

🙂

Now all let’s calm down NOW

by rob mekel ·

This post is only here to the grace of Tammy.

So … what are the thoughts behind that scheme … what is TR upto … mmm, I wonder
      [i]okay that one is not new to them I do wonder why a lot[/i]

Ah … maybe it’s to attract likewise TR-members so they can utter their bile … mmm
      That could be a nice plan then wipe them all out with one blow.
      Mmm, that might not work as they come in most rapidly through the backdoor of new accounts

So what might the deeper meaning of this be … I still wonder …

Ah may be it’s just to give them a spot on TR to release themselfs (to all you impure: [b] NO DE intended[/b]) of their gall.
      That just could do the trick … but still I wonder …….. will it do the job 😉

[i]edited because of some possible minor not intended DE[/i]

Wot a tosser!

by oz_media ·

What a loser, in order ot get back at TR, you flood OUR forums and OUR Questions forums with spam? Nice, what a prick!

Are you one of those guys who are just such a loser that people just randomly knock you out as you walk down the street?

If not, try walking down my street one day, loser.

You can directly email most of the staff at TR, its no secret and they do reply to emails. They are also very proactive at stopping such garbage, you have definitley opted in somewhere down the line or have posted your email address in a forum where web bots have picked it up. TR does not spam anyone, I’ve been here for years and have yet to receive ANY spam as a result of my participation on TR. there have been sites that use bots to scour the forums for email addresses that morons post online, they will then spoof the sender’s address as being from TR but that’s rare itself.

You are wrong, should have come to the community for answers before being such a dick to everyone, not just TR.

“They have set themselve’s up”?
      “TechRepublic you are going down”?

What are you, 8?

Get a life and next time mom lets you use the computer go to the Sesame Street forum instead.

Go slather your private parts with vegemite and feed a roo.

Cool..

by shellbot ·

In reply to Wot a tosser!

Prick! makes it through the filter..woo hoo

Prolly

by boxfiddler ·

In reply to Cool..

due to its association with bloody fingers.

I think it’s just you bub

by jiminpa ·

I do not recieve anything I have not asked for.

Viewing 13 reply threads