General discussion

why does windows assign 169.254.55.22

By billssupport ·
I'm working on a friends machine; WinXP with SP2( i cringe),windows has assigned the non routable address of 169.254.55.22 . I've done the ipconfig /release but when you try to renew it comes back witth an error stating theres limited access. what's that about and how do I resolve the origional problem? thanks in advance.

Bill Weinstein

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by rindi1 In reply to why does windows assign 1 ...

If you are using dhcp it couldn't find the dhcp server. Otherwise there may be something wrong with the nic. Upgrade the driver.

Collapse -

by BobHo In reply to why does windows assign 1 ...

IP addresses in the 169.254 range are being assigned to the machine by the operating system when no dhcp server is found. Is this a problem? Is the pc on a network with a dhcp server or is it stand alone? If it is not on a network with a dhcp server then there shouldn't be a problem. Review this ms article describing how and why this address is being used:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;220874

Cheers.

RW

Collapse -

by sgt_shultz In reply to why does windows assign 1 ...

if you do not have a dhcp server hooked up, such as a internet router or network server then you will have such symptoms. nothing is wrong unless you are hooked up to same. then you have connectivity problem. not related to sp2, imho.
write back and tell us more about what you are trying to do when you get this 'error' condition.
and consider turning off the windows firewall (that is an sp2 thing) for troubleshooting (control panel/windows security)

Collapse -

by p.j.hutchison In reply to why does windows assign 1 ...

If not using a DSL Modem or its not on a LAN then Windows will assign a 169 address. On older OSs, it would just assign 0.0.0.0 instead.
To prevent assigning 169 address, set the card with a static private ip address e.g. 10.0.0.x

See http://www.duxcw.com/faq/network/privip.htm

Collapse -

by kansaspcdoc In reply to why does windows assign 1 ...

reset your DHCP server, if you dont have one and are running cable power down machine reset cable modem and restart machine.

Collapse -

by t_spitt In reply to

To reset a 169 with cble mdm try unscrewing the coaxial and release and renew Ip address if the IP is 192. then remove powercord from modem and replace coaxial. Plug in Modem and allow the IP address to automatically renew. 169 fixed

Back to Software Forum
6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)