Question

• Creator
    Topic

Win 2000 pro

by dseaman_797 ·

I need a little help ….I’m trying to join a Win 2000 professional client to a Win server 2003 domain . I’ve installed WINS on my 20003 server , but i’m not sure what do next …..I’ve tried joining the client to the domain and it’s unable to join …..I read something saying that the domain functional level could be an issue. I’m a little lost right now …..My domain function level is at its highest .

All Answers

• Author
    Replies

Clarifications

by dseaman_797 ·

In reply to Win 2000 pro

Clarifications

check ur domain ip address in ur win2k clients dns server list

by jostonb ·

In reply to Win 2000 pro

hi
      i have worked on win2003 domain using dns ,so in order to connect to ur dns server U NEED TO ADD UR DOMAIN CONTROLLER IPADDRESS IN THE DNS SERVER LIST OF UR CLIENT COMPUTER ,
      WINS I THINK IT SEARCHES FOR NETBIOS NAMES SO U NEED TO ADD UR FQDN IN THE WINGS AREA IN THE CLIENT MACHINE

Ping?

by rkuhn040172 ·

In reply to Win 2000 pro

Can you ping one another?

Are the TCP/IP settings correct?

Is DNS installed on the server?

Ping

by dseaman_797 ·

In reply to Ping?

Dns is installed on the server …..I’ve also created a scope and defined the ranges.I’ve installed WINS as well . My TCP?IP setting however might be an issue….i’m not sure if thats configured correctly …..should i have to statically assign and ip address to my 2000 client ? What i’d like to know are the steps that i have to take to join the 2000 client to the 2003 domain ….so far the methods i’ve tried dont seem to work……i’m not sure where i’m going wrong.

ping2

by dseaman_797 ·

In reply to Ping?

Oops , i forgot to tell you ….i can’t ping either way ..:(

Re:

by rkuhn040172 ·

In reply to ping2

If you’re not pinging either way, the computers can’t “see” each other hence you can’t join it to the domain.

Double check all TCP/IP settings such as IP address, submask address, DNS server address, gateway, etc.

Can both computers ping successfully to 127.0.0.1?

Can both computers ping their own IP address?

How many hops in between devices are there?

Unless and until you can ping, you probably aren’t going to join the PC to the domain unless pinging is explicited being block on both computers via firewalls.

Viewing 2 reply threads