General discussion

Win NT i386 Update

By ozzy ·
I copied the i386 folder to the NT Server c:\i386. Now anytime I change the network configuration (add, remove service, ptotocol, etc.) NT looks in this directory for it's cabs files and uses them for the update. However, since this is the original NT CD, the files there are too old (1996) and do not contain Service Pack 6 info. I am forced to reapply SP6a after every confguratin change.

Is there a way to get an updated i386 directory that already included the updated files in SP6 ?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

9 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

Win NT i386 Update

by DS9 In reply to Win NT i386 Update

The simple answer is NO. Microsoft has had that question put to them everytime they issued another service pack. First it was SP3, then 4, 5, 6, and now 6a.

I also have the original CD on my F: drive, Where I also have SP6a, and the Option Pack.I have a file cabinet full of CD's, since each SP had one available at each issue.

In fact, now with Server Pro 2000 available, I would guess that we have seen the last of support from Microsoft on NT 4.0

Regards
George

Collapse -

Win NT i386 Update

by ozzy In reply to Win NT i386 Update

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

Win NT i386 Update

by avachon In reply to Win NT i386 Update

Hi, the first respondent is correct. I too have the i386 folder on my harddrive and every configuration means reapplication of the service pack. And although microsoft may begin to put less effort into fixes for nt4.0, service pack 7 is slated for release.

Collapse -

Win NT i386 Update

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

Win NT i386 Update

by spiceman In reply to Win NT i386 Update

Both guys are correct. You may have noticed by reading the message when you have applied the service pack - "every time you change the windows configuration (uses original files) you need to re-apply the service pack. They could have brought out NT ver 4.06a out instead - so it's no win situation.

Careful to read the messages after and prior to installation as they tell you what to do in the future!

Good luck

Collapse -

Win NT i386 Update

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

Win NT i386 Update

by dcyr In reply to Win NT i386 Update

I've encountered the same problem and to work around this I've copied the files that are in the service pack over top of the files in my I386 directory. The easiest way to get these files is to start the SP install and copy the ext???? folder from the temp directory before the install starts. Then all you need to do is copy these files overtop of your existing files in the I386 folder. Now whenever you install anything from the NT CD, it will take the SP6 file if it is available.

Collapse -

Win NT i386 Update

Sorry, but this does not work. Following this process produces a directory that does not work.

Collapse -

Win NT i386 Update

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
9 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  

Operating Systems Forums