General discussion

Win2000 Backup Program

By kimscomputing ·
I have set a scheduled backup (normal backup) to a company's server of a few machines my docs folders. It rewrites over the top daily. However it has grown from 1 gig of info being backed up to a backup file 0f 9 gigs in just a month. I need a backup solution for this company. Why doesn't this work? I am also having trouble restoring anything from the 9 gig backup file. I couldn't find anything from microsoft on this problem. I need a scheduled backup for this company. Any suggestions?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

Win2000 Backup Program

by Bughunter In reply to Win2000 Backup Program

Check this link out for some detailed info about the backup utility.

http://windows.about.com/library/weekly/aa010610a.htm

Normal does not write over the previous backup data. Use the backup wizard to create the backup session. The last wizard window will display an Advanced button. If you select this button and work your way through the steps, you will come to the option to overwrite your data rather than append it. I would also recommend creating a backup set by intially making a normal backup with subsequent differential backups. This process will make it quicker to do backups and quicker to rebuild you box later.

Collapse -

Win2000 Backup Program

by kimscomputing In reply to Win2000 Backup Program

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

Win2000 Backup Program

by dmatlock In reply to Win2000 Backup Program

First, IF you are using the system backup program I would opt to get something like Veritas or comparible. Second, I would have the company invest in a 120 GIG hard drive to keep it on. My experience and reading on the subject points to these 2 key pieces of equipment to overcome this. Third, I.T. Management... In other words you need to get these people to analyze and scrutinize what they are saving. If they have a large number of 'like' files they might consider 'ZIPING' them into one (IFthey know how, if not KEEP THEM AWAY from THAT! :)). I find that educating the users to what YOU want in order to keep them running at an optimum level is the ultimate key.

Collapse -

Win2000 Backup Program

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

Win2000 Backup Program

This question was auto closed due to inactivity

Back to Windows Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)