General discussion

Win2000 Dialup networking

By colinsw ·
I have seen this problem described here before in relation to an ISP tech having difficulty connecting a customer to his service. While that case was not resolved, I believe I have described it in somewhat different terms that may help both of us.
I have dialup connections to several ISP and any one of the connections work fine, but if I disconnect from one, I cannot then connect to another. Trying to do so causes the modem to dial, negotiate and get carrier but when it gets to the "Verifying Username..." bit it stops. Also, when this has happened I can't then shutdown or log off. The system stops during the shutdown process. I have to restart the machine, I can then dial out again, but as before only to one of the dialup entries(Any one of the entries, it doesn't matter which). If I change it all happens again.

Any ideas short of a fresh install? I already tried to do a re-install with no help, and logging on with another user account makes no difference.

The machine is a Pentium II 300, 128Mb, 16Gb HDD, Realtek 8029 NIC etc. All the relevant network protocols are installed and working (Netbeui and TCP/IP), as is evidenced by the machine operating normally on the local LAN and same when connected to just one ISP. I am running window 2000 SP1 and have updated per Microsoft Windows Update webpage.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by savatovic In reply to Win2000 Dialup networking

Right click "My Network Places".
Click "Properties".
Right click connection to your service provider.
Click Properties.
Click "Options" tab.
Click "Prompt for name and password, certificate, etc".

This setting will enable you to enter different Username/Password for each ISP.

Collapse -

by colinsw In reply to Win2000 Dialup networking

Thanks for the reply, but it didn't help. Please read the question again, ALL the DUN entries work fine individually the only time there is ever a problem is when one DUN has been used, disconnected, then another DUN has been used, the second one always fails with the results described above.

Back to Windows Forum
2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)