General discussion

Win2000 Hardware Profiles

By vigo98 ·
How can I create different networking settings for different Hardware Profiles?
Here is what I need this for: I'm using my laptop in two networks. In one I'm getting IP and DNS from DHCP, in another I have to use static. So my goal is to create twodifferent sets of network settings so I can choose DHCP or Static IP settings during bootup.
Any help is greatly appreciated,
Victor

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

8 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by cpratt In reply to Win2000 Hardware Profiles

I might be easer for you to forget nardware profiles and just input the static IP information for you connection. When you switch to DHCP, the static settings will be kept and not used, and since you can shut down and a network connections and makechanges without rebooting, it would be pretty easy to switch them back and forth.

However if you need to switch connections for Login. Then the situation i describe won't really work. You setup profiles in "system properties" under the control panel.

Collapse -

by vigo98 In reply to Win2000 Hardware Profiles

Win2k doesn't keep the static IP info after you switch to DHCP. I have to input my static IP setting again every time I use DHCP. Thanks for your try.
P.S. I'm looking for an easy way (if it exists) to have my netwotk settings "profiled" for every location I'm in.

Collapse -

by mgonzales In reply to Win2000 Hardware Profiles

Ok....go to start settings control panel..system icon hardware tab and on the bottom hardware profiles...copy the current one and try configuring that with the different IP configuration that you are looking for...

hope this helps!

Mike

Collapse -

I tried that before I posted the question. Here is what happens: I copy my current profile, Rename it, Reboot computer and choose newly created profile, change IP address and gateway and DNS, reboot again, choose my original hardware profile and it shows the same IP adddress settings as for the newly created profile. It looks like IP address can not be different in different Hardware profiles. Thanks for the try anyway.
Victor

Collapse -

by carbonite In reply to Win2000 Hardware Profiles

Mike was pretty close to the answer. You should goto hardware profiles and copy the ORIGINAL profile. Name it "Static" or something like that. Now, the important part of this is how do you set up STATIC? You have to actually reboot your system, during the start up NT will ask you which profile you would like to load up under. Choose STATIC. The go into the Network properties and actually enter your static information. Now whenever you boot your system you will get a choice of the default profile which should be DHCP enabled or you select STATIC when you need that profile. Just remember one thing - If you change ANYTHING in the hardware profile, it only applies to THAT profile, not to both. You will have to boot into the other profile and modify that one too.

Collapse -

I tried that before I posted the question. Here is what happens: I copy my current profile, Rename it, Reboot computer and choose newly created profile, change IP address and gateway and DNS, reboot again, choose my original hardware profile andit shows the same IP adddress settings as for the newly created profile. It looks like IP address can not be different in different Hardware profiles. Thanks for the try anyway.
Victor

Collapse -

by braveh4rt In reply to Win2000 Hardware Profiles

The two answer before is right. You can use the hardware profile from win2k. Just set the hardware setting and save the profile then you add new profile with other setting. So with this you can change the setting of the network.

Yhank Youss

Collapse -

I tried that before I posted the question. Here is what happens: I copy my current profile, Rename it, Reboot computer and choose newly created profile, change IP address and gateway and DNS, reboot again, choose my original hardware profile and it shows the same IP adddress settings as for the newly created profile. It looks like IP address can not be different in different Hardware profiles. Thanks for the try anyway.
Victor

Back to Windows Forum
8 total posts (Page 1 of 1)