General discussion

Win98 to Win2000 - needs password

By azdavid99 ·
Ok, here goes. Home network. 2 laptops with Win98. 1 Desktop with Win2K. Set up as Workgroup. All named identically. Enabled file sharing on all. Each PC can ping the other. The Win2K machine can access files on the 2 laptops. Here's the problem. Both laptops show the Win2K icon in Network Neighborhood but when I click on it it asked for a password. I enter the password I use for admin on the Win2K machine but it doesn't work. Just to be sure I changed the password on the Win2K machine so I new exactly what it was. Also - I have a 2nd physical drive with XP Pro I usually use in my PC which, when hooked up, is able to be accessed by both laptops. I'm just using the Win2K HDD to train for the Win2K client certification test.
I'm out of idea's. Please help.
Thanks, Dave

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by azdavid99 In reply to Win98 to Win2000 - needs ...

Also - using DHCP.

Collapse -

by jschein In reply to Win98 to Win2000 - needs ...

On your 2k machine, create local user accounts correspondig to the names used on the 98 machines. Reboot 98 machines, try again, you should have no problem accessing it now.

User must create the same username / password combo used on the 98 machines.

Good luck

Collapse -

by azdavid99 In reply to

Worked perfectly. I've had questions from such a variety of subjects as PC repair, HTML, Cisco, and now networking and they're always answered. Thanks.

Collapse -

by jwilczyn In reply to Win98 to Win2000 - needs ...

Create a user account with the same user name and password on W2K as on win98. Check the workgroup name, TCP/IP address and subnet mask and enable File and Print Sharing. You will be able to access W2K from W98 box - if the SAME user name and password (which you used to logon to 98)is present on W2K box. Check permissions and shares on W2K

Collapse -

by popperziv In reply to Win98 to Win2000 - needs ...

Prev answers are OK, if it still does not work try changing your Win98 Login to net login instead of the Windows Logon
(on the network properties)

Collapse -

by azdavid99 In reply to Win98 to Win2000 - needs ...

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)