General discussion

• Creator
    Topic

Windows 2000 AD WAN

by waylon34 ·

I have 8 locations that I would like to connect to (1) primary server, with each other location having a backup controller for local databases for each department. The primary AD controller serving as email and security +++. I have all the sites connected now by Cisco routers on 128k (internet and email) lines on NT 4.0 platforms running independant networks. I have read recently that you should have a 512k line with at least 128k available for the AD. IS this correct? Does anyone else have an AD forest built on 128k lines. Should I consider an alternative. DSL still is unsecure, so that is not an option. Any help would be most useful. Thanks in advance.

All Comments

• Author
    Replies

Windows 2000 AD WAN

by kevin anderson ·

In reply to Windows 2000 AD WAN

128k is pretty optimistic from what our site is experiencing.

AD will take your whole 512 periodically (we’re a pretty big site, and not overly experienced yet with 2K, so that might get somewhat better, but I can’t see it getting down to 128k.)
      I suspect that you’ll need partial T1s (at least) to every location unless you can go with a DSL/Cable VPN.

As an alternative, which I know you won’t go for, you could dump active directory, and run NDS. Then just use the connections you’ve already got. Novell’s Directory is FAR better.

You COULD set AD to syncronize only at nite, or something, if that would work for you. I wouldn’t really recommend it, but it would probablly work if you aren’t an overly large or dynamic company.

Kev.

Windows 2000 AD WAN

by waylon34 ·

Thanks Kev. that is what I thought, but needed someone to reconfirm

Windows 2000 AD WAN

by waylon34 ·

This question was closed by the author

Viewing 1 reply thread