General discussion

Windows 2000 deployment

By azam.quadri ·
We have Two seperate NT 4.0 Domains, these domains have two-way trust established and are connected through 64k leased line, I had lot of documentation on Windows 2000 deployment and i am confused and i dont have time to read and deploy,can anyone who had already deployed windows 2000 from NT 4.0 can give me the easiest deployment steps to follow to deploy windows 2000 server and windows 2000 professional.
Awaiting your answers and thank you.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

Windows 2000 deployment

by jkmeier In reply to Windows 2000 deployment

Theres not really an easy answer. Depending on the size of your domains the planning process for deploying Windows 2000 could take quite a while. The easy (but not the safe way) would be to start with one domain, upgrade the PDC and you got that domain changed to a mixed mode Windows 2000 domain. The trust relationship to your other domain is still there so everything works fine. Now you can upgrade all the DCs in that first domain, then the member servers and workstations (even though this is not necessary). You will go through the same process for the other domain - this time make sure when you run the upgrade that you join an existing AD forest (the one you created when you upgraded the first domain).

There are plenty of things that could go wrong - you might want to read a little more before deploying - especially DNS, your site structure and replication topology, fsmo role placement is worth knowing before you start deploying.

Collapse -

Windows 2000 deployment

by azam.quadri In reply to Windows 2000 deployment

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

Windows 2000 deployment

by azam.quadri In reply to Windows 2000 deployment

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)