General discussion

Windows 2000 does not Shutdown

By satu75 ·
Hi,
I have a windows 2000 server installed, which works absolutely fine without giving any errors. The reboots after installtion were absolute normal. When i try shutting down the sys from start>shutdown or using cntl + alt + del or by using Alt + F4. It comes back to the desktop without shuttingdown .... basically it does not recognise the shutdown command.
-
Rd,
Satyen.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

Shut IT Down

by fswalef In reply to Windows 2000 does not Shu ...

When you tell W2k to shutdown, it sends shutdown requests to any running processes. Some processes don't play well. When this occurs, the operating system will usually prompt you to kill the process but since this isn't happening I would reccomend checking the Registry and forcing or more correctly automating this process.
Start the Registry editor (REGEDIT.EXE)
Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop.
If a value "AutoEndTasks" does not exist from the edit menu, select New > String Value. Enter a name of AutoEndTasks and press enter.
Double-Click on AutoEndTasks and set to 1. Click Ok
Close the Registry editor.
Should take care of the problem!
Good Luck!

Collapse -

Do the shutdown again

by ts64 In reply to Shut IT Down

Have you tried to shutdown again after it goes to the the desktop. It could be some software that preventing windows to shutdown. For instance, I have "Lavasoft Ad-aware 6" installed in my W2K machine. If I do the shutdown, "Ad-watch" will close and windows go to the desktop, I have to use the shutdown again to let it shutdown, or I close "Ad-watch" to be able to shutdown from the first time. That's a hint it might be a software issue.
Good luck.
Ty

Back to IT Employment Forum
2 total posts (Page 1 of 1)