General discussion

Windows 2000 Everyone share

By treid ·
In windows 2000 professional machines there is always a default everyone share on the C drive. I have checked and with that everyone share on you cannot get to the C drive from a remote machine unless you know the password, which is good that is what I want, but is still seemes scarry to have an everyone share on. I talked with lots of people and they say if you remove that everyone share on c root windows cannot talk to itself and will cause pagefile.sys errors. If anyone can explain this Iwould sure appriciate it.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by curlergirl In reply to Windows 2000 Everyone sha ...

Are you referring to the administrative shares - i.e., C$ or ADMIN$? These are hidden shares (cannot be seen through browsing or Explorer) and can only be accessed by someone who has a local administrator-level user ID and password. Other than that I'm not sure what you mean by the "Everyone" share. The administrative share has been a feature of both Windows NT and 2000. I can't believe that removing it will actually cause pagefile errors, because it's designed only for allowing remote administration of a workstation by an administrator-level user. It doesn't have anything to do with local operation of the workstation. You can remove the administrative share, as long as you first create a different share name first. Some administrators believe in doing this for security purposes, but I find the administrative shares very useful across a network for managing individual workstations remotely when necessary. Hope this helps!

Collapse -

by treid In reply to Windows 2000 Everyone sha ...

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

by GIJoe In reply to Windows 2000 Everyone sha ...

When you share anything in Windows 2000 Pro computers, it assumes that you want to "share" it to everyone. You can specify passwords or rights to secure this... but ultimately w2k pro is not "server."

If you do not want everyone to have access, then remove the everyone group and assign other groups or users. You can do this in Control Panel --> Users and Passwords, etc.

Collapse -

The question was auto-closed by TechRepublic

Collapse -

This question was auto closed due to inactivity

Back to Windows Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)