General discussion

Windows 2000 Installation failure

By rosinskiek ·
I have a home built computer with a AMD 950MHZ processor, ABIT KT7 MB, 512 SDRAM, WD 30MB HDD and Sony 54x CDROM. This computer was originally loaded with Win98SE. After failure to remove spyware and possible virus', I reformatted the HD and attempted to load Win2K. The install fails when attempting to load .dll files. I tried a new WD 80GB HDD and still have the have problem. I also tried installating WinXP and still have the same problem. Would the BIOS (currently running Awards v6.0) be a possible problem. I am able to reload Win98 with no problems. Don't know what the problem is. Can anyone see the error of my ways?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by wcp In reply to Windows 2000 Installation ...

Most likely RAM or CPU is the cause.

Collapse -

by Rabbit_Runner In reply to Windows 2000 Installation ...

Is the CD you are using a MS factory disk, or is it a copied one? I have had problems with my backup disks failing to load .dll files. Once I had to replace the CDRom to a newer one to be able to read from the disk correctly.

I am not certain if this will help you, but it is worth looking into.

Best of luck

Collapse -

by sgt_shultz In reply to Windows 2000 Installation ...

can you give us more detail about how it fails. what is the error message if any. have you tried the copying the disk on another box.

Collapse -

by Calle Lindstr?m In reply to Windows 2000 Installation ...

Hi.

Bios settigs.
Virus warning disabled, video bios cache disabled,
video bios shadowing disabled, video ram cacheable disabled, system bios cacheable disabled. These settings, if enabled, usually conflikt with some win2k components.

Or, when yuo start setup, press F5 key, choose standard pc or apci uniprosessor. If you still get dll error, try another memory slot.

Back to Windows Forum
4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)