General discussion

windows 2000 internet sharing

By chrislbusch ·
I have a windows Me machine and a W2k machine they are networked and I have internet on the ME machine,how do I get internet connection sharing to work on the W2k machine, if I right click on the network connection on the w2k machine there is no sharing tab to enable internet connection sharing.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

9 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by CiscoFred In reply to windows 2000 internet sha ...

Do a search for this Article ID: Q237254. First things first is it dial-up, cable modem or dsl? Also you need two nics to enable internet sharing on the computer hooked up to the internet using cable modem or dsl. I would hook your w2k on the internet and let you WinME computer connect over the lan. The tap not there because you do not have a 2nd nic installed or your win2k computer.

Collapse -

by chrislbusch In reply to windows 2000 internet sha ...

I have a nic card installed on both computers with aol dial up, I had internet connection sharing before when both were win 98 machines and I have two modems

Collapse -

by CRian In reply to windows 2000 internet sha ...

It sounds like you are looking for the sharing tab on your NIC's connection. This shouldn't have one because it is the local network connection. Under My Network Places you should also see a connection for your dial-up to AOL. In the properties of this connection you should be able to find the sharing tab you are looking for.

Collapse -

my aol connection is on windows me station

Collapse -

by CRian In reply to windows 2000 internet sha ...

Okay, If I understand the setup correctly you want your ME machine to act as the internet host and the 2K machine to access it through the ME machine. Is the 2K machine setup to be a DHCP client? I believe this is needed in order for the Internet connection sharing service to give it one of its IP's.

Collapse -

it is not a DHCP client as of yet, explain how to set that up and the internet connection, I would be most greatful

Collapse -

by chrisamcp In reply to windows 2000 internet sha ...

You need to have two nics installed in the win2k machine for sharing to show up. One nic is connected to the cable/dsl box...that's the one you set for sharing. The other nic..set as a static ip such as 192.168.0.1. Setup the clients so that their DNS and Gateway point to 192.168.0.1 and you should be all set.

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
9 total posts (Page 1 of 1)