General discussion

Windows 2000 Please help

By Michael34 ·
Hello,
Ok my question is this, I have a Gateway 6400 Server and we needed to reload it due to a virus.

Now I whipped out the partition, and when I run Setup it will load, but says that is cannot find any mass storage device. I think this think has 2 hard drives it it, and I believe they are SCSI.

I attempted to Insttall windows 98, and had No Problem. How can I get Windows 2000 Server installed back? I need help getting it to detect the Hard Drive, and I know they are working because 98found and installed fine.

Please help ASAP

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

11 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

Windows 2000 Please help

by Ann777 In reply to Windows 2000 Please help

If they are indeed SCSI, then you need to find out which SCSI adapter the system uses, download the drivers, and install them.

The one thing good about SCSI adapters, their model number will be imprinted on the controller card and usually you can find the drivers at:

http://www.adaptec.com/

http://www.lsilogic.com/support/

http://www.datastoragesearch.com/qry/scsi+drivers/

Or any number of sites.
Once you have the letters/numbers imprinted on the card, you can input a searchfor them.

Or your can go to :
http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

And download their free advisor that will tell you exactly which hardware/software in on this computer.

Collapse -

Windows 2000 Please help

by Michael34 In reply to Windows 2000 Please help

Thank You for the help. The problem was an issue with BIOS on the system board, so I got ahold of gateway and they fixed it.

Collapse -

Windows 2000 Please help

by jwilczyn In reply to Windows 2000 Please help

Firstly you need a driver (LSI 53C1010 SCSI Controller ver. 5.02 or 5.04) download it from:
http://support.gateway.com/support/drivers/ddaStep.asp
and extract to floppy.

During Installation you are prompted to load third-party RAID/SCSI drivers.
To load drivers, press F6 and insert a floppy with the driver.
After that Win2000 will be able to see you HDs.

Good luck

Collapse -

Windows 2000 Please help

Thank You for the help. The problem was an issue with BIOS on the system board, so I got ahold of gateway and they fixed it.

Collapse -

Windows 2000 Please help

by mvalerio In reply to Windows 2000 Please help

Hi,

In addition to the answer from the first peer.

1. Download the drivers or find your original installation driver kit.

2. Load the driver into a floppy disk 1.44, number of disks will depend on the kind of scsi driver, usually only 1 disk.

3. During the installation of Windows 2000.
When booting from the CD, take note of the message below the screen, that you must press F6 to load a mass storage driver.

4. Insert the 1.44 into the floppy disk drive, and follow the instructions on the screen.

5. Select the scsi drive model from the screen and continue with the normal installation of Windows 2000.

6. Keep the driver in a safe place.

* please note, open your server and check the scsi controller model to get the right driver.
Or you can check your manufacturers website for the specifications and even the drivers.

Collapse -

Windows 2000 Please help

Collapse -

Windows 2000 Please help

by KhongPhuTu In reply to Windows 2000 Please help

Hi,

Peer 2 and 3 already answered yuor question so I am not going ot repeat. One thing to consider is data recovery. I hope do only wiped out the OS partition or the OS drive only. Disconnect the second drive for now. After reinstalled the OSand virus protection software and enabled it, you can shutdown, connect the second drive, reboot, then scan second drive for get rid of the virus.
It's always good to kkep your data away from your OS drive, if possible.

Collapse -

Windows 2000 Please help

Collapse -

Windows 2000 Please help

by hberkhoff In reply to Windows 2000 Please help

I've seen this probleme before. You can do the following to solve this :

1. Boot Win2k from CD.
2. When the screen becomes blue, push F6 (maybe several times)
3. You can now manually enter the drivers
4. Watch out!! Enter first the SCSI and/orRAID drivers, after these are loaded, select the IDE-CDROM driver (if needed)

from here start the normal installation. All should work now.
The same thing works when booted from floppy drives.

Collapse -

Windows 2000 Please help

Back to Windows Forum
11 total posts (Page 1 of 2)   01 | 02   Next