General discussion

windows 2000 plug and play

By sterlingmpatten ·
How do I get Windows 2000 pro to see my CD rom and CD/RW drives. I added a new CD/RW, and windows does not see any Cd drives now. my old drive was an HP9100, the new drive is a Plextor 24/10/40A. I tried device manager and it does not see any changes.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by curtis In reply to windows 2000 plug and pla ...

If you just plugged in the drive and made no jumper changes then the system will not see the drives. You need to set one of them up as a master and one as a slave. There is a jumper on the back of the drive and it will have 3 positions: Master(MA), Slave(SL), and Cable Select(CS). After this is complete and you turn the computer on, your BIOS screen should show that the drives are there, and windows will see them without and input from you. If you open windows explorer or my computer they will be available. You will however have to load the software that came with the cd-rw drive to actually make it burn a cd.
hope this helps

Collapse -

by sterlingmpatten In reply to windows 2000 plug and pla ...

Sorry but that's been done. I should have stated that in the question

Collapse -

by jvcdc In reply to windows 2000 plug and pla ...

I know this is very basic-but have you checked your cable? strange that neither works and all your jumper settings are right-is it showing in the BIOS?

Collapse -

by sterlingmpatten In reply to windows 2000 plug and pla ...

I verified all jumpers for all drives. I removed the drives and added one at a time. I did several reboots with & with the CD drives.

Back to Windows Forum
4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)