General discussion

Windows 2000 Pro Paging File

By Michael34 ·
Hello, I am having a problem with my paging file on windows 2000 Pro. Everytime I start my PC it says my paging file is to small or I don't have one and guides me to how to fix it. When I goto the "Advanced Tab" It says it created a Temp Page file. I currently only have 1 hard drive installed and the page file is set to 382 - 2275 and the registry size is currently 20 and set to a max of 382. Why do I keep getting these error messages at startup?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

10 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by mnelson In reply to Windows 2000 Pro Paging F ...

Let's start over and see if you still get the error. The pagefile.sys could be corrupt, or too large.

The registry size has almost nothing to do with this error. The registry size of 382 is way to large - your using to many resources by having itthat large. 40mb is fine for the registry.

- Delete the paging file. In the Advanced Tab, set it to 0 and reboot.

- Go back in and set it to the size of the amount of RAM you have +20MB (not exactly what MS wants, but close enough). reboot.See if you get the error again.

Collapse -

by Michael34 In reply to Windows 2000 Pro Paging F ...

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by LordInfidel In reply to Windows 2000 Pro Paging F ...

What you need is the Intel Application Accelarator program.

Yes this is a real program.

There is a problem with the 815 chipset. If you look at your paging file it will generally say it is using 0. And everytime you try to set it, it does not work on reboot.

http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df/Product_Filter.asp?ProductID=663

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

Ok I tryed setting the pagefile size to 0 which worked. Now here is the odd thing, I was able to delete the temp pagefile, which prevented windows from asking me if I wanted to overwrite it. I set it to 276, however it changed it back to 20. So justfor fun I set it to 3000 MB and it changed the current pagefile from 20 to 2450 MB. I restarted and I was back to step 1, It changed everything back to 20, yet it had the range for C as 1000 - 3000. Could it be caused because of NTFS file system? Before I was using FAT32 (For a year) and just switched (clean install of 2000 Pro) and I never had a problem, until I switched to NTFS. Any thoughts?

Collapse -

by c.barnhorst In reply to Windows 2000 Pro Paging F ...

Answer 2 is absolutely correct. It is true of WinXP also and for the 845 chipset as well. You may go back to the advanced tab after your restart and set virtual memory to "let windows determine the paging file size" (or whatever the exact wording is). If you do elect to set the page file yourself, I don't advise setting the page file size maximum at more than 3 times memory. Large page files have a lot of fragmentation problems. In fact some suggest fixing the page file size at one or two times memory so that little or no fragmentation occurs (because the page file does not grow and shrink).

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by cshill In reply to Windows 2000 Pro Paging F ...

Answers 2 and 3 may be it but I will offer a 2nd possibility:

When you remove the "Everyone" Group from the security settings for your "C:" drive (or whatever your system/os drive is, usually C:) it also removes the "System" account. This account is linked to the paging file size. For some reason, even logged on as admin, when you change the paging file size and re-boot, it always goes back to 20.

Try putting the Everyone group or the System account back into the security settings for your C: drive and that should solve the problem. You can take away "Everyone" but remember to put back the "System" account.

This worked for me when I had the same problem as you.

Collapse -

Tryed it and it worked. Thanks

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
10 total posts (Page 1 of 1)