General discussion

• Creator
    Topic

Windows 2000 proffessional Locked

by neetare ·

One of my friend brought laptop from our Delhi office.Our office in Mumbai have simple workgroup connectivity as our Delhi office has Domain based connectivity.
    The friend from delhi office wanted to copy some presentations from our local network(MUMBAI)to his laptop which has windows 2000 proffessional .
    thus he simply make his machine join our MUMBAI work group instead of Delhi domain using network identification wizard.after that his laptop asked for rebbot
    After reboot his laptop is not accepting his own login name and password and he doesnot know the administator password for his machine
    he is not able to login to his machine
    Plz suggest a way out from this without losing DATA

All Comments

• Author
    Replies

Nasty :-(

by wyrmlord ·

In reply to Windows 2000 proffessional Locked

Your friend could hack into his own machine (plenty of tools out there, lOphtcrack, NT Password Recovery, you name it) and change/delete the local admin password. Alternatively, he could try deleting (RENAMING, I’d say) the SAM database which would blank the admin’s pass. But first things first, have you tried to log on in secure mode (F8 at the boot)? Sometimes the system lets you do that without authenticating (admittedly, a BADLY configured system, but still…)
      Good luck, you’ll need it.
      BTW I had the same thing this January with one of my servers, and was forced to delete the SAM base; the security of 128-bit NT SP6a was just too good… but everything turned out well. Good thing too, as this was an accounting system machine!
      regs,
      wyrm

Last Known Good

by mrbill- ·

In reply to Nasty :-(

Seeing as you have not made it past the logon you might try using the last known good configuration on startup. Don’t know if this will help or hurt. Good luck.

Reply To: Windows 2000 proffessional Locked

by djent ·

In reply to Windows 2000 proffessional Locked

There is a password recovery utility available at sysinternals.com.

Viewing 1 reply thread