General discussion

Windows 2000 Restart Problems

By medwards ·
Has anyone experienced problems with Windows 2000 Professional restarting computers for no apparent reason?

If so please describe.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

You're Not The Only One...

by Muell2U In reply to Windows 2000 Restart Prob ...

Unfortunately, I don't have a solution to Windows 2000 Pro restarting for no apparent reason. I did want to let you know it has happened to me twice now. The first time I had about 4 programs open, the second time I only had Outlook 2k open. Both times, my computer acted just like I selected Start|Shut Down|Restart. I didn't have anything unsaved, so I'm not sure if open files are saved or not when Win 2k restarts itself. I will continue to research this problem and post a solution if one is not posted by then. For now, I wanted to let you know that you are not an isolated incident.

Collapse -

Possible Solution?

by Muell2U In reply to Windows 2000 Restart Prob ...

Searching further into this matter on TechProGuild, I found an answer from member ?PAULOTE?. Go to the Control Panel and open System. Under the Advanced tab, click on Startup and Recovery. In the System Failure section, uncheck Automatically Reboot.

To view the problem that may have caused Windows to restart, go to the Control Panel and open Administrative Tools and then Computer Management. Then under System Tools|Event Viewer, look at Application and System Errors. In there you should findwhat is causing your computer to restart. I hope this helps.

Collapse -

I have an interesting version of this...

by dsturgeon In reply to Windows 2000 Restart Prob ...

I have had a strange restart problem with W2K Pro:

A couple times I have walked away from my machine for a few minutes, and when I come back the drive mappings are x'd out in red. I know about the other drive mapping issues but this one seems different. After trying to reconnect a few times, I give up and restart. When the machine comes back up and I log in, the device wizard comes up and installs the follwing hardware:

Primary Controller, Secondary Controller, NIC Card, USB Hub, Audio,PCI Bridge, and some other misc. items that I can't remember right now. After this is done, everything is fine....very strange............

This has also happened the second I place a Handspring Visor into its USB cradle on one machine.

Any ideas?

Dave

Back to Community Forum
3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)