General discussion

windows 2000 server 98/me in a workgroup

By bturnham ·
i added windows 2000 server to a existing workgroup of windows 98 and me. I joined the correct workgroup and can access shares on the 98 pc's from the server but when i try to access the server from the 98 machines i a asked for a password i cannot choose the user it is just asking for a password. i tried the admin password for the server and it did not work. The local security policy say everyone can access it from the network Do i need to enable the guest account or create other accounts? I'mjust not sure what password it is looking for, and i need to access it from the network. Any Help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by san_swa In reply to windows 2000 server 98/me ...

If you can tell me what user option does it give you(the one that you cannot change), I can help you in better way.

Other thing that you can do is create a user in Windows 2000 server domain that will logon to Windows 98 with that user name and password, you will be able to access the network.
Happy performing the task.

Collapse -

by bturnham In reply to windows 2000 server 98/me ...

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by silverfireiii In reply to windows 2000 server 98/me ...

If the local security policy on the 2000 server for that share has everyone and you give them full control, then you should not have to enter a password. The reason you do not have to enter a username and it prompts you just for a password, is because the 2000 server machine is reading the username that is logged into the windows 98 machine. If you create an account on the 2000 server with the same username as the 98 machine you will then be able to just enter the password you give the account you are creating. If you don't want to have to enter a password, then just give everyone full control of the share.

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by jwilczyn In reply to windows 2000 server 98/me ...

Create a local user account with the same user name and password on w2k server as on win98 pcs. Check the workgroup name, TCP/IP address and subnet mask. You will be able to access W2k server from W98 box ? if the same user name and password (which you used to logon to 9 is present on W2k box. Check permissions and shares on W2k server.

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
7 total posts (Page 1 of 1)