General discussion

Windows 2000 Server Maximum RAM

By cburnham ·
I know that Windows 2000 Server can only recognize up to 4 GB of RAM. My Dell PowerEdge server can handle up to 12 GB. Not realizing about the limitation in W2K Server, I upgraded from 2 GB to 6 GB of RAM.

When I run Sandra Pro, it shows that I do have 6 GB of RAM, but of course Windows is only showing 4 GB.

Am I wasting the last 2 GB or is the system still somehow using it?

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

Re: RAM

by toughguy000 In reply to Windows 2000 Server Maxim ...

From my experience windows 2000 will not use more then 4gb of RAM due to the fact that it wasn't designed to. (Back in those days when RAM cost an arm and a leg for 1gb)

Collapse -

The answer is...

by TechExec2 In reply to Windows 2000 Server Maxim ...

You might be able to utilize all 6 GB on your server. It depends...

Windows 2000 is a 32-bit OS. All address pointers are 32 bits (max 4 GB virtual address space). But, it is more complicated than that. See (1).

In Windows 2000, 2 GB (or 3 GB if a switch is used) of the address space is reserved for the application to use. The rest is for the system. However, in certain versions of Windows 2000 (Advanced Server, Datacenter Server) the system can support more physical memory than 4 GB via Physical Address Extension (PAE) (2). This means that adding more physical memory to such a system will reduce paging to disk as the applications individually access their own 4 GB virtual address spaces that are mapped to physical memory pages.

----------------------------------------

(1) Memory Support and Windows Operating Systems
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/platform/server/PAE/PAEmem.mspx

(2) Operating Systems and PAE Support
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/platform/server/PAE/pae_os.mspx

Collapse -

Wasted in Windows 2000 Server then?

by cburnham In reply to The answer is...

I am aware that those other versions will utilize the 6 GB. My question was is it wasted in Windows 2000 Server (standard)?

Based on what I have read, I am assuming I am wasting the last 2 GB. I was just wondering if there was any way the system was benefiting from the additional 2GB.

Back to Networks Forum
3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  

Hardware Forums