General discussion

Windows 2000 Server, Netbeui, & WinXP

By allenium ·
I'm trying to connect an Windows XP Pro machine to a Windows 2000 server using the Netbeui protocol. We have several other computers in the office, all Windows 98, and one Windows 2K Pro.

After spending a few hours on it, I'm beginning to wonderif it can be done. According to Microsoft, it's no longer supported, yet they provide the files for the protocol to be installed.

Any insight would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks!

allenium

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by MMerritt In reply to Windows 2000 Server, Netb ...

This is more like my comments than an answer to your question, but it might help.
1. Netbeui, as you might know is a Non-Routeable
protocol which will not work or communicate if
a router is in the path.
2. Do the other PCs in the office communicate
over this network? If so, can you look to see
if you can configure the XP machine to use a
similar configuration for Client, Protocol &
other settings unique to your network?

Collapse -

by allenium In reply to Windows 2000 Server, Netb ...

After re-reading the MS Knowledge Base article and re-trying the instructions, I found that I copied one of the files into the the wrong directory. This solved the problem so yes, you can connect an XP machine to a Windows 2000 server using the Netbeui protocol.

allenium

Collapse -

by inrange In reply to Windows 2000 Server, Netb ...

Just experienced your problem yesterday. Found Netbeui no longer part of XP but it can be added from the XP CD, see: Q301041 - HOW TO Install NetBEUI on Windows XP, on the Microsoft Kowledge Base.

I had a Peer to Peer like yours and new XP systemwould not network for file and printer sharing. Followed the above articles instructions and it all worked, did not even have to restart XP.

Collapse -

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

This question was closed by the author

Collapse -

My apologies to User Deleted. I did not see your response when I closed this question. I did actually read the MS Knowledge Base article, however the PC I was working on was pre-loaded with XP so I did not have a CD, so when I originally installedthe Netbeui protocol, I just browesed over to the "Valueadd" directory and installed it from there. However, even though it appears to be installed, IT ISN'T!!!

Remembering how following the Microsoft Knowledge Base instructions to the letter inthe past had solved some problems, I decided to uninstall and follow Microsofts instructions. However, after working on this for a while, I mis-copied one of the files into the wrong directory.

After sleeping on it, and trying it again today, I met with success.

allenium

Back to Windows Forum
6 total posts (Page 1 of 1)