General discussion

Windows 2000 Server to Active Directory

By Dana Grantham ·
Our office recently switched from a Windows NT 4.0 server to a Windows 2000 Server. Upon the switch to the new server the company that set it up configured it with no active directory. In doing this, our company realized that when the employees log on the the network it doesn't ask you to change your password after it expires as it did on our Windows NT Server. We want the security of making the employees change their password ever so often. The company is now wanting to switch the server from no active directory to active directory and have nominated me to do this task. My question is: what is the procedure for this? What kind of network downtime do you think I am looking at and what are some of the complications I might face when doing this? Thank you in advance for any help you may provide.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by saihib In reply to Windows 2000 Server to Ac ...

You need to run dcpromo to make the machine a domain controller and install AD. Your downtime should be minimal. You need to also make sure that DNS is properly configured. Go to Microsoft's Knowledge Base and run a search for dcpromo in title only.It'll pull up 28 articles that should answer most of your questions.

Collapse -

by Dana Grantham In reply to Windows 2000 Server to Ac ...

Poster rated this answer

Collapse -

by Dana Grantham In reply to Windows 2000 Server to Ac ...

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
3 total posts (Page 1 of 1)