General discussion

Windows 2000 service pack problem

By trussell ·
I have a computer running Windows 2000 that I cannot install service pack 3 or 4 on. When I install the service pack it installs ok but the computer locks when shutting down. This forces you to power it off. When you start it back up it will give you a BSOD (KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED... in NTOSKRNL.EXE.) Removing the SP from safe mode fixes the problem. This is preventing me from installing the Blaster patch and other hotfixes etc.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by Joseph Moore In reply to Windows 2000 service pack ...

I have read about the Blaster patch on Win2K SP2. It is not a "supported" configuration, but it will work.

Collapse -

by gunida In reply to Windows 2000 service pack ...

Before installing SP3or SP4.Try uninstalling the earlier versions(i.e sp1 or sp2).Sometimes this might be the problem.And if that doesnot solve the problem try to get other Blaster patches from antivirus sites(like symantec)and also the hotfixes.Otherwise contact microsoft support online.And it could also be that your system is already infected and your antivirus is corrupted,then try reinstalling it again.

Collapse -

by brian In reply to Windows 2000 service pack ...

Try booting to safe mode and then running the SP update from safe mode. If this still fails, uninstall some updates and then again try installing sp4. You may also need to update IE.

Collapse -

by kiddanger In reply to Windows 2000 service pack ...

What is the system you are running this on? Make and model?

I'll have follow up questions after your response.

Back to Windows Forum
4 total posts (Page 1 of 1)