General discussion

Windows 2000 Traverse Folders

By rodney.sayers ·
In netware you can assign permissions to a directory buried deep in your directory structure and you will be automatically given access to traverse all the directories above to be able to navigate to the directory you have the permissions to.
This is not the case for Windows 2000 or NT for that matter.
Can you use the "traverse folders" right to allow a group of users (e.g. "Domain Users") to navigate through the directory structure to get to directories that they have rights to, rather than having to give "List Folders" permissions?
I have tried to do this but couldn't get it to work.
e.g. Windows 2000 server is a member server of a NT 4 domain.
d:\dir1 I have assigned "Traverse Folders" NTFS permissions for "Domain Users" and propogated this through the entire directory structure.
d:\dir1\dir2\dir3 I have assigned the NT 4 Global Group "Test" Change permissions.
Test user is a member of the "Test" group and maps a drive to the d:\dir1 which is shared with share permissions "Domain Users" "Full Control".
The "Test" user can map a drive successfully to the share but receives "Access Denied" when trying to browse.
Please Help.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

1 total post (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

by Chris.. In reply to Windows 2000 Traverse Fol ...

This is actually by design. Rule of thumb for browsing a dir structure is most restrictive wins. Now you can redesign the permissions to start as the least restrictive (domain users r/w/x) and then continue to lock the subsequent dirs as needed.

Back to Windows Forum
1 total post (Page 1 of 1)