General discussion

Windows 2000 VPN

By bradsolcom ·
We have a small network set up behind a Sonic Systems SOHO 50 firewall(for NAT and filtering). We have one Windows 2000 server that contains all our network file shares and does DNS and DHCP. It has two network cards in it.

I would like to set up a VPN for our remote cable modem sites so they can share files on our lan. All the remote sites have win 98 SE. So far I have not had any luck connecting to the server through the VPN. I can ping the publicly available IP address, but when I try to make a VPN connection it times out.

I have looked over quite a few Microsoft web sites and the articles here on tech net, but none of them are specific enough to help me. I also have two books that tell me to set up the VPN two different ways. One is "Windows 2000 Routing and Remote Access Service" by Kackie Charles and the other is "Mastering Windows 2000 Server" by Mark Minasi.

Any help is appreciated.

This conversation is currently closed to new comments.

5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)  
| Thread display: Collapse - | Expand +

All Comments

Collapse -

Windows 2000 VPN

by JStone In reply to Windows 2000 VPN

I guess the first thing that I would do is try to figure out where you are getting blocked. Take one of the machines on the lan and try to make a VPN connection with your Win2k Server. If you can make the connection then I would suspect that the problem lies within the setup of NAT on your firewall. It should have a place in the configuration to open certain ports like 1723 that you will need to make the connection. Also some routers that I have dealt give you the option to configure packets to be sent to a specific machine (ie for VPN you would setup any traffic bound for port 1723 gets forwarded to //some computer then the connection is made). Lastly, I also know that some router makers will also charge you for VPN client access. They require you to buy a license to have this ability so also check with Sonic to see if this is the case.
I hope this helps you out some.

John Stone

Collapse -

Windows 2000 VPN

by bradsolcom In reply to Windows 2000 VPN

I went to the microsoft site and found some articles on removing and re-adding VPN support from the add remove programs icon. After I did that it worked like a champ. Thanks for your help though.

Collapse -

Windows 2000 VPN

by QB In reply to Windows 2000 VPN

The answer from JStone is dead on,if you are using PPTP but if you are using IPSec the nat box won't handle it unless you use a VPN appliance that has client software that allows IPSec through NAT. The regular client software in windows doen't allowthis. So you PPTP and open port 1723 mapped to the IP of the VPN machine.

Collapse -

Windows 2000 VPN

I went to the microsoft site and found some articles on removing and re-adding VPN support from the add remove programs icon. After I did that it worked like a champ. Thanks for your help though.

Collapse -

Windows 2000 VPN

This question was closed by the author

Back to Windows Forum
5 total posts (Page 1 of 1)